Exception Code: 0xc0000005 - Exception Info: Out Of Memory

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by g.selbmann, Nov 2, 2020.

1. g.selbmann

g.selbmann New Member

Hello Community,
    I've been a user of TrainSim from the start and bought the game on Steam. I never built routes myself, I only worked with the simulator. Over time, a lot of additional content (DCL’s) has accumulated.

Now I've got myself a new gaming PC with the following components:
    Processor: AMD RYzen 9 3900X 12-core processor
    RAM: 64 GB
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3900
    Operating system: Win 10 Home
    Steam is installed on a separate 2 TB SSD hard drive

I installed Steam on this very new PC and, among other things, the Train Simulator. After the installation the error message "V71.1a is being updated scenario database" came up at the first start:
    "Exception code: 0xC0000005
    Exception info: OUT OF MEMORY
    The system cannot execute this scenario with the current configuration. We recommend either lowering the graphics setting or trying to run the game in the 64-bit version. If this does not solve the problem, please contact our customer care team at Dovetail Games Support - Powered by Kayako Help Desk Software"

I fought my way through all sorts of forums. Furthermore, one of the many causes can be that the fault is not directly related to the TS. In a thread in a german railway forum it was recommended to adjust the graphics settings or to go into window mode. I can't do that at this stage.

I have tried the following - also from www.railsimulator.net wiki "Crash Problems" - without success:
    > Start with 64-bit and 32-bit version
    > Virus scanner switched off
    > Uninstall then reinstall the TS
    > "Check files for errors" in the Steam properties
    > The DLC's are uninstalled
    > The Cache.bin files are uninstalled
    > Reinstalled all software packages from the "Install" folder
    > I could not install WIN XP SP3 on my PC!
    > Exe files installed in the / Steam Shared folder
    > Setup_Audio.bat changed to 64-bit and then started with 64-bit
    > Run RW Tools with admin rights and unlock the RW files from there
    > Autostart adapted (everything removed that doesn't have to be)

Unfortunately, none of the measures were successful!

I would be very happy to receive help soon. Thank you for that.

2. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

Try verifying your game files, I have this problem on a regular basis and the verification process usually fixes things.

3. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If you had a car and a bulb went out or the radio stopped playing would you take out and re-install the engine?
    Reinstalling the game should be the last thing you do - If it worked one day and then did not the next then it would be something changed in your last session - look at what you changed

Do you have any Workshop Scenarios?
    Have you tried lowering some of your graphics settings?

Why would you wish to install a Windows XP Service Pack on a computer that has Windows 10?

4. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

GS
    This is a complex issue and not easy to solve, and may be idiosyncratic.
    I would recommend sending a logmate report to DTG support to see if they can identify the problem: https://dovetailgames.kayako.com/De...-to-provide-a-logmate-report-how-do-i-do-this
    Any error messages in Windows 10 'View Reliability History' or Event Viewer
    Eliminate Windows related issues with diagnostic tests
    sfc /scannow, DISM, chkdsk, dxdiag (Google how to do)
    As Peter749 says - Windows XP???? and Windows 10 - why - could be the issue as both allocate VAS and RAM differently!

5. g.selbmann

g.selbmann New Member

Hello Dunkrez,
    checking the error file did not result in any error messages.

Hello Peter749,
    maybe my English is not good enough. I couldn't test the game on the new PC because I kept getting an error message when loading it. On the other hand, it ran smoothly on the previous PC.
    Furthermore, I cannot change any graphics settings because I cannot get to the main menu.
    Even if deleting the game is the last option: It is possible to completely delete the game from the PC and initially only install the game without DLC's. If that works, the DLCs could then be installed individually. Error checking can be carried out after each installation.

Hello Peter Hayes,
    thanks for the tip. I'll try that.

Thank you all. I will keep you informed.

6. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Have you tested the PC itself for stability or memory issues? Considering everything you have done so far, I'm tempted to think it may be a hardware issue.. memory being the most likely.. or GPU if it's a 3rd party manufactured card and not actually a NVidia reference card.

There were issues with 3rd party RTX30xx cards crashing due to poor capacitors being used.. https://www.neowin.net/news/nvidia-...linked-to-aib-partners-using-cheap-capacitors

Try this... https://www.techpowerup.com/download/intelburntest/ to stress test the PC

Try this to test memory... https://www.memtest86.com/

Is TS the only thing that crashes? Do any other games cause an issue?

Do you still have your old PC? Can you swap out graphics cards to your old one? If that fixes it, then looks like you may have a GPU affected by the above problem. Try this first.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  7. g.selbmann

g.selbmann New Member

Hello Pookeyhead,
    I did the tests. They show that my system is fine. I still installed the MS-Flight Simulator. It works fine.
    I also tested my Gainward graphics card. It also works perfectly.

Now I'm really at a loss!

8. Pookeyhead

Me too.
    Why would you want to install Windows XP?

All I can suggest is you contact Dovetail Games.

9. g.selbmann

g.selbmann New Member

This information is from the German wiki www.railsimulator.net. Look at the graphic.
    I still have no answer from Dovetail Games.

Attached Files:

10. Pookeyhead

I'm sorry I do not speak German. Instead of a .jpg, can you link to that website so I can at least translate it? Or better still, can you not just tell me why you need Windows XP?

11. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I asked g.selbmann on Monday why he wants to install Windows XP Service pack 3 but no reply.

12. Pookeyhead

I don't get it either. Build a bleeding edge gaming PC... install Win XP. That would effectively cripple it.

13. andy.malcolm

andy.malcolm Active Member

Just looks to be a case of finding a guide when trying to fix an issue and following it to the letter without realising what XP is.

The page that was screenshotted earlier:

https://rail-sim.de/forum/lexicon/entry/42-absturzprobleme/

Is just an old guide for issues with Railworks, for when people still had XP.

14. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

As a.m says this is an old incorrect 2015 guide and should not be used for TS2020.
    It was for TS 32-bit ONLY and contained a lot of inaccuracies about VAS and RAM.
    If the OP has both Windows 10 and windows XP installed using the latter to run TS2020 - then that could be the problem.
    There is no response to our questions about Windows XP, and we do hope that the OP is NOT running TS2020 in compatibility mode.

15. Pookeyhead

No one in their right minds in 2015 would have installed XP either! The OP wants to get that mess off his HDD as soon as possible. It's an old, unsupported OS with so many security issues it boggles the mind why anyone would use it.

16. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Yep Win 7 ftw!

It's funny they've always said every other OS was a good one.

Win95
    Win 98
    Win 2000
    Win ME
    Win XP
    Win 7
    Win 8/8.2
    Win 10

Not an exact science but we're not all pedants here, are we? :P

17. Pookeyhead

Or use Windows 10, and install Start 10 so you get the old start menu back so you have the best of both worlds. I've also installed Stardock Object Dock, so I have Win 10, with Win 7's start menu, and an Apple OS style dock. Win win.. if you'll excuse the pun.

Screenshot 2020-11-06 18.59.44.jpg

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  18. Pookeyhead

Also, you forgot Vista in your time line.. which is understandable... we've all blocked that from our memories.

• Like Like x 1
  19. andy.malcolm

andy.malcolm Active Member

I still have flashbacks to when our MD wanted us to install the Vista beta on his laptop so he could see how it was. If you thought Vista was bad, you should have seen that version!

20. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Haha oh yes you're absolutely right, I had a laptop with that on, think I'm suffering Vista induced amnesic ptsd.

Although that does throw a spanner in my 'every other' theory, best it stays forgotten then. :D:D

21. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Bring back Windows 3.1... lol... :D (said tongue in cheek before anyone takes it the wrong way!!!)

Eric

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  22. Pookeyhead

For it's time... 3.1 wasn't actually that bad. Of course... back then, the smart people were still using Amiga OS. I often wonder what woudl have been if Commodore hadn't have gone belly up.

23. g.selbmann

g.selbmann New Member

Hello community,
    please excuse me for answering so late, I have little time for it at the moment. Of course, I haven't seriously considered this XP mode either, but my basic problem has not yet been solved. However, I got an answer from the Dovetail support team and go through the problem with them. I will report on this forum.
    Greetings from Germany
    Gerhard

• Like Like x 1
  24. g.selbmann

g.selbmann New Member

Hello community,
    now the problem is solved. The train simulator works again. The reason was the managing of computer's virtual memory (page file) in windows. It was to small.

• Like Like x 1
  25. jimdavis5711

jimdavis5711 New Member

I recently had this same issue. The way that I managed to correct it was to uninstall steam. Restart the computer. Reinstall Steam. Restart the computer. After this the game has been running very well.

26. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It is easier to Verify your files than totally remove and reinstall the program

27. Matthew Wilson

Matthew Wilson Well-Known Member

That depends, the poster said they uninstalled Steam and reinstalled it, rather than uninstalling TS2021 and reinstalling.