-fastload Launch Option Is Great

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by paul.pavlinovich, Mar 4, 2021.

1. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

I've been testing out the -fastload option from the March 4th update and it works on all the routes I have installed. Massive difference to the load time. If you haven't tried it yet and are curious you can see me test it out with a couple of routes and the significant difference is makes to load time, I made a video of it in action including how to turn it on.

• Like Like x 2
  2. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

It works well doesn’t it?

• Like Like x 1
  3. majorminor

majorminor Member

Tried this with a couple of my favorite routes. Makes no difference at all. Apparently it's down to the way the route is set up in AP files. Also heard about a couple of issues (no sound and stuttering) after "fastload", so I'll do without it.

Tbh, loading time was never an issue in the first place.

I'd much rather DTG spent time improving what has always been a flaky interface, rather than superflous back office fiddling

4. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

Waiting just 16 seconds for the ECML London to Peterborough is pretty awesome. As a dev, I'm often reloading TS just to check out changes to my work.

This has turned reloading from "make a cup of tea and wait patiently" to "not even enough time to roll a cigarette" in terms of the waiting game.

Massive thanks are in order for this core update.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Aryffordd

Aryffordd Guest

WCML South 9G35 career scenario has gone from 2 minutes 33 seconds to just 29 seconds for me. That's quite a remarkable core update. Thank you DTG.

• Like Like x 1
  6. inversnecky

Works well for me - every route I've tried so far has gone from about 1:30 to 15-20 seconds.

Maybe you just need to give it a 'fair go', majorminor?

• Like Like x 1
  7. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

It sounds good especially until I replace my creaky old hard drive. I have had some scenarios take up to 15 minutes to load certainly over five minutes isn't unusual. I make many scenarios so am often in and out of the scenario or editor.

I will give it a go over the weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  8. inversnecky

At least if you don't like it, it's a 10 second job to delete a line in options.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Not 100% sure you'll notice much if any improvement, from what I'm picking up it's not so much to do with .ap files (zip files... let's call them what they are) as it is to do with how the game now reads and processes SSD information, I am totally open to being corrected as obviously I have no insider information, but it appears some people are noticing no improvement at all and one reason why could be to do with the fact their game is on a HDD, like inversnecky said though it's easy enough to opt back out of.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

I can confirm my game is loading off SSD Reef - it would be interesting to know if majorminor is using HDD or SSD since that person is not experiencing any difference. I guess if you've put it in I would also be checking that you manually edited the launch properties in Steam (or on your desktop shortcut) to put -FASTLOAD in the launch options since it is not turned on by default.

The routes I've tried it with so far have had zero new negative after load impacts.

Paul

11. Craigie-C

Craigie-C Well-Known Member

Pros - Excellent time saving update with no problems so far.
    e.g.
    Route - GEML London - Ipswich
    Scenario - 2W61 Shenfield to London Liverpool St.
    Time - 17.32 seconds

Cons. - Bad news for Screenshot competition winners. LOL

• Like Like x 1