Creation Sharing Fiktive U-bahn Strecke

Discussion in 'PC Editor Discussion' started by dotnomi, Nov 22, 2023.

?
  1. HHA Type DT4

8 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. HHA Type DT5

8 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. dotnomi

dotnomi New Member

Moin, ich bin noch relativ neu hier. Mein Interesse an Zügen ist im großen und ganzen auch relativ neu. Im letzten Jahr habe ich angefangen mich für die Bahn zu interessieren.

Disclaimer: Da ich Lust habe eine Strecke zu bauen, aber leider durch Vollzeit Arbeit als Software-Developer nicht im Stande bin meine ganze Zeit der Strecke zu widmen, habe ich mich dazu entschieden KEINE echte Strecke nachzubauen. Zu bedenken ist als das auch wenn vielleicht echte Namen vorkommen dies bitte rein als Fiktion zu sehen ist.

Nun zur Strecke: Geplant ist eine Strecke der U2 der Stadt Felsa (Fiktiv). Die Strecke soll Untertage als auch Ebenerdig und vielleicht auch in Teilen als Hochbahn verlaufen. Die Länge der Strecke ist noch nicht aus geplant aber soll am Ende so in Richtung 40 Minuten Spielzeit gehen. Aussehen könnte, da ich in Hamburg lebe, leicht der U1/U3 ähneln.

Züge:
    • HHA Typ DT4*
    • HHA Typ DT5*

* (Da die Strecke fiktiv ist wird der Zug nicht die Originalen Hochbahn Aufkleber besitzen)

Falls jemand Blueprints der Züge hat oder findet wäre es sehr Nett mir diese zu teilen.

Ich hoffe ich konnte damit andeuten was ich vorhabe. Wie gesagt ich habe ein Leben und erwartet deshalb nicht zu viel von mir. Sonst hoffe ich auch bei anderen Interesse auf mein Projekt geweckt zu haben.

2. steamylocoman

steamylocoman Well-Known Member

3. DonnyDave

DonnyDave Active Member

I agree but browsers these days have a translate option :)

Hello, I'm still relatively new here. By and large, my interest in trains is also relatively new. Last year I started to be interested in the railway.

Disclaimer: Since I want to build a track, but unfortunately I am not able to devote all my time to the track due to full-time work as a software developer, I decided NOT to build a real track. It should be remembered that even if real names may appear, this is to be seen purely as fiction.

Now to the route: A route of the U2 of the city of Felsa (fictitious) is planned. The line is to run underground as well as at ground level and perhaps also in parts as an elevated railway. The length of the route has not yet been planned, but in the end it should go in the direction of 40 minutes of playing time. Since I live in Hamburg, it could easily look similar to the U1/U3.

Trains:

* (Since the route is fictitious, the train will not have the original Hochbahn stickers)

If anyone has or finds blueprints of the trains, it would be very nice to share them with me.I hope I was able to hint at what I intend to do. As I said, I have a life and therefore don't expect too much from myself.

Otherwise, I hope to have aroused the interest of others in my project.
    • HHA Type DT4*
    • HHA Type DT5*

4. steamylocoman

steamylocoman Well-Known Member

Not firefox sadly

• Like Like x 1
  5. fceschmidt

fceschmidt Well-Known Member

As soon as you have a station map or anything feel free to share, that would be really cool :)

6. traingamer#8639

traingamer#8639 New Member

Of course it has!

7. RobertSchulz

RobertSchulz Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, although many german railway fans are in here, forum language is english only. So, you have to/should write in english, but I think this shouldn't be a problem for you.

Yes, I'm interested about the route although it's just fictional.

I also have a life beside and can't dedicate my whole time to my project. What I think interesting about your project is that you're an actual software developer (don't know in which field of work yet - maybe even game development?) which could help so much for creating the route.

I think if you want special locos in the game, you either have to wait until DTG or TSG releases them, or have to create them on your own in Simugraph. Unfortunately, we all miss information about that process from DTG's side yet. Hopefully it will come in some of the upcoming masterclasses next year.

And oh, just my opinion. If you think about a route of about 40 minutes playtime, it maybe be wise to intensively think about the concern before, if you wouldn't really make a real route instead (you also can make one with not so many population), which could be easier to create asset wise.

I personally think that terrain creation and make it look real on a fictional route is a hard process. I've watched the tutorials of austrian YouTuber Granabas for making a fictional route, and the scenery so far doesn't convince me that much personally, although I appreciate the effort he took into it.

If you got DTM (in Germany DGM - Digitales Geländemodell) data with the SRTM (low resolution) or even Lidar (high resolution) it already provides a solid base for a good and authentic scenery in my opinion.

It might be better to invest your time from the start into a project which maybe seems harder and will take longer, but in the end it could pay off more than you would if you create a fictional route and stumble upon hurdles to create an authentic landscape later on. Think about it.

And also, noone expects from you to recreate everything 1 to 1. We all built routes on a non-professional level and the end product high likely will not be able to be sold. We don't need to match criterias as Dovetail Games or other offical third parties need to. All what we do is for fun and sharing it with others. If someone misunderstands that premise, this is not your fault.

So don't refrain from recreating real places as much as possible.

But you also can start with a short fictional route, just to learn the basics.

It's all up to you.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  8. RobertSchulz

• Like Like x 1
  9. dotnomi

dotnomi New Member

Sorry haha, I saw a few posts in german and didn't thought about it to write in english. The next posts will be in english.

In the last two weeks, while learning about the editor, I thought about making the Hamburg U1 subway line in a game. I use this line every day. I like things to be perfect and would be unhappy if the game's version doesn't look like the real one. The U1 line is also in two other games: Train Sim Classic and Hamburger Subway Sim. I chose the Hamburg subway because it's one of the only two subways I've been on, the other being in Berlin. But I like the Hamburg trains more. This is just my opinion, though.

The main reason I want to create a fictional route is to let my creativity flow. Sure, I could make a small change between Hamburg Central Station and Jungfernstieg, or start to fictitiously implement the upcoming U5 line.

Let me share a bit about the background of my planned route. I've been playing Transport Fever 2 for 2 years and tried to create a city with public transport according to my vision (the fictional city of Felsa). However, the fun was limited due to performance issues and the inability to operate the trains.

The 40 minutes I mentioned was just an initial thought. My plan is to start with what I can manage and then gradually expand my route. Maybe it will start with just 15-20 minutes of gameplay – who knows where I'll end up.

Actually, I haven't worked much with Unreal Engine haha. I'm currently a first-year apprentice. I'm involved in Java/Kotlin and Angular development. But I also have experience in C#. I started game development as a hobby a few years ago, but with Unity Engine. I see this as a chance to finally learn Unreal Engine. Let's see what comes of it.

Thank you very much for your kind post :) If I have news about my route soon, I will share it as quickly as possible.

About the trains I plan to use (DT4 / DT5): If it becomes possible to create them (and especially if there are tutorials), I will do it. My biggest problem isn't the lack of tools... Unfortunately, there are hardly any or no blueprints of the DT4 and DT5 on the internet. So, priority one is on the route first, and the trains will come last. I will probably test with the ET 423.

• Like Like x 1
  10. RobertSchulz

Yes, everything as you like it to be! :)

If a fictional route is really what you like, then this is the way to go! I was just pointing at a few things which after my experience now with the Editor that it could be an issue later on, if you would decide then to "make this a real route". I think the tools in the Editor allow us to create cool things, however I think the tools to actually perfectly shape the landscape are limited.

The Sculpt tool has it's disadvantags as the precision is not very well. Smooth tool also has free space above.

Therefore, if you got high-resolution Lidar data for free yet (which can be a big problem dependent on the area and also within Germany). I know of some states which do not offer their Lidar data free yet and want ridicular sums to pay for (6 digit numbers) although all states shall make it available for free in the second half of 2024.

1meter DGM Lidar data is very good as it's also provides realistic height information about elevated S-Bahn trackways or tunnels and it can be quite helpful even for metropoles like Hamburg, Frankfurt or Berlin.

I'm currently at track layering at km 20 and already created a big train yard/station and the Lidar data really helps a lot to give realistic gradients of the surface and even helps with curve shapes etc.

To talk about programming languages, I actually learned C (a little C++) as an apprenticship years ago but it does not help me anything in here. In the Editor plugin folder you can see that some developer folder are written in C++, but I don't know how we can use these yet. Absolutely no experience with Unreal Editor or Blender/Sketchup which we need for creating custom assets. This is a thing I guess I will need to dig deeper in the next weeks or in 2024.

Maybe we can help ourselver then with it, because I'm already a bit afraid of that chapter + actually laying all the signals (Haupt, Vor, Bodensignale usw.).

BTW: Strange that the YouTube channel to which I linked just disappeared today. When I obtained the video link yesterday, everything was fine. Was quite a helpful channel for simulation but also building route in the TSW Editor in german. Don't know what happened there?!?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
  11. bodensee#8535

bodensee#8535 Active Member

granabas account is deleted or something i dont find the videos

12. RobertSchulz

Yes, this is what I noticed as well - the channel disappeared just one day after I posted the link to his video here. If you google for his channel you still can find it in Google search, but it redirects you to a dead account. He probably deleted his YouTube account, but I absolutely have no clue why. I found a few tips in the videos here and there.

If he ever reads that, it could also be helpful to create a new channel and reupload, in case of channel determination due to third party (copyright strikes etc.)