[final] Fort Kent / Ohio Steel Black Wall Polygon And Scalerail Bugfix

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by torfmeister, Feb 11, 2022.

1. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Good news fellow simmers!

Finally I've been able to track down the bug leading to the infamous Black Wall polygons in Fort Kent.
    blackwall.png

A possible cause for that is found in 3DTrains' ScaleRail package.

1st bug: All traffic blueprints refer to RoadNetwork\Vehicles\Kuju_EU_Car03xml instead of RoadNetwork\Vehicles\Kuju_EU_Car03.xml (simple typo omitting the period)

2nd bug: The Kuju_EU_Car07.bin refers to RSDL\IslandLine\Scenery\Vehicles\[00]BATH_TEMP_WP33_04 (non-existent) instead of Kuju\RailSimulator\Scenery\Vehicles\[00]BATH_TEMP_WP33_04

I have corrected the necessary blueprints and uploaded them. Install the .rwp with Utilities.exe's Package Manager.

The FortKentUpdate adds the required blueprint set (RSDL\IslandLine) to the RouteProperties.xml (which in fact is the black wall fix). Just copy it over (no rwp), a backup file is included.

You need both attached files.

Edit: Updated RouteProperties file for Colton and Ohio Steel uploaded, now correctly preloading assets. And the ScaleRail fix makes the streets more lively now as a nice side effect.

Feb 12, 2022: Added the sky and seasons issue fix-> https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...-wall-and-scalerail-bugfix.51866/#post-452714

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  2. hayward.john48

hayward.john48 Well-Known Member

Dan Hernandez might be your hero but you are mine

• Like Like x 4
  3. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I feel honoured, thanks John.

4. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

It reappeared. There might be more causes. I'll go through the rest of the assets.

Edit: Solved.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2022
  5. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I'm at it... It is the Island Line Cars that are referenced. I cannot place them in the editor, they're invisible. I'll replace all occurences with Kuju cars.

EDIT: Had nothing to do with it. Those assets are ok. You have to reload the route after adding a product with the object set filter, the assets appear in the list but the GeoPcDx are not loaded correctly. Which leads me to another idea, see below.
    2022-02-11 16_59_25-Life Software Freeware - Mass Search and Replace Tool.png

6. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I will do some more testing. The provided fix still applies. But there may be another issue. I'll keep you updated.

7. hayward.john48

Thank you.

8. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Can you tell me in case you see the black wall again? I played Plywood scenario and watched the road next to the Fort Kent Yard for some time, no walls. When I came back after fetching the boxcar they were there again.

9. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I tested again, it seems alright, but you never know. I added the RSDL\IslandLine as a BlueprintSetPreLoad to Fort Kent's RouteProperties.xml as its cars are used in the route's traffic. Seems to work, but let's see.

Please use the updated RouteProperties.xml (1st post) for Fort Kent (I've supplied the backup of the original file).

Thanks for testing, and delete the cache (Assets\3DTrains\ScaleRail\blueprints.pak)

10. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I think that's it, I see the green Bus from IslandLine now which was not visible before. (Maybe it was the black wall?)

I'll leave it running for some time, watching that road.:)

2022-02-11 19_08_55-Train Simulator (x64).png

11. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I now have some possible explanations

- ScaleRail Traffic requires US and EU assets plus Isle of Wight
    - If you do not possess one of those you simply should not see the missing cars, with no error.
    - If you have Isle of Wight you will see the bug. You have the assets but they are not correctly preloaded by the original Fort Kent RouteProperties.xml
    - So I conclude that if you use ScaleRail traffic in your route, specify all its requirements and preload those assets to have it work correctly. Fort Kent did not preload Isle of Wight assets.

12. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

After some hours of watching the traffic and not seeing any black walls again, I've updated the first post. Though I renamed the ScaleRail fix the contents are the same as in my first upload. I have not made any changes to the traffic vehicles selection, just corrected the typo and wrong path.

- ScaleRail fixed, missing Lorry now is back on the road as supposed!
    2022-02-11 21_23_27-Train Simulator (x64).png

- Fort Kent, Ohio Steel and Colton&Northern black walls fixed!

Note: I do not have Rascal and Cottonwood, so I cannot provide a fix for it.

13. hayward.john48

Thanks again, I will test drive tomorrow.

14. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Make sure you install the updated RouteProperties, good night.

I think this is finalized .:cool:

15. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

To keep things together, here's the fix for the sky issues and correct seasons.

Attached Files:

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. hayward.john48

Just got to it, wife found me some jobs (as you get older wives find jobs because "it's good to keep you busy" ???????) anyway I have no Black walls.

17. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Oh well TS is keeping me busy. Tested Fort Kent for hours, the Black Wall is history. Sun's coming out I'm gonna ride my bike now.

Cheers!

• Like Like x 2
  18. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Small bonus hint: When you add this line at the end of RouteProperties.xml just before the last line </cRouteProperties>:
    <HasSpeedsigns d:type="bool">0</HasSpeedsigns>
    the speed limits will show up on the HUD and are read directly from the trackrules. If it is set to 1, only speed changes that have speed signs/signals linked to the track will show up.

If this line already exists, edit it as you wish. (If it doesn't exist TS's default setting is "1".)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  19. hayward.john48

Is that true for other routes?

20. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Yes.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. hayward.john48

We live and learn, thank you once again.

22. sphexi

sphexi Active Member

Tried scenarios from C&N, Fort Kent, and OS2 with no giant black squares of doom. Haven't tried R&C yet, but assuming the fix is good for it too. No sky issues either. Great work Torf ... thanks

• Like Like x 1
  23. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Thanks sphexi. C&N doesn't have road traffic, but I updated it anyway in case you would want to add some as I did add some US rural 2lane light traffic myself to the route. It seemed a bit ghostly with all those empty streets. And while working on this I rediscovered what a beautifule route this is... especially on a summer's day with "2. Cloudy" it looks so good with the sky fix.

For Rascal&Cottonwood you would need to add
    Code:
    <iBlueprintLibrary-cBlueprintSetID d:id="955355408">
            <Provider d:type="cDeltaString">RSDL</Provider>
            <Product d:type="cDeltaString">IslandLine</Product>
    </iBlueprintLibrary-cBlueprintSetID>

to its RouteProperties.xml at the according section to prevent Black Walls.

Note: It doesn't cause any harm if you do not have "The Isle of Wight" (which you should as it's nice and has aged well. I think this is the first DLC that DTG (then named RSDL before becoming RailSimulator.com (RSC)) have made).

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  24. ex_railwayman

ex_railwayman Active Member

I'm sure this problem goes back several years and there was a big thread about it on RW America forum. This texture graphics glitch appears on all the Allaboard routes, I think, as Rich Garber used the same road vehicles for the moving traffic on all his routes. I think the general consensus was to delete the traffic files from the folder altogether, I am personally not fussed if there is moving traffic on the roads or not, some folks like it, which I understand.
    A lot of folks don't have the capacity to go into blueprints and bin files to amend lines, so, thank you for raising this issue again on here, and your result, I like all the routes available, Fort Smith to Heavenor is possibly my favourite.
    Pity that nobody has upgraded the Colton & Northern and Rascal & Cottonwood to modern standards as I liked those early layouts.

• Like Like x 1
  25. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

Some authors are really keen on the idea of copyrighting. Maybe mentioned even in this topic, someone extended Fort Kent & Eagle Lake but wasn't brave enough to upload, nor did he change existing tiles. Several trains have been taken down for this very reason, instead of updating, or merely updating a livery. Someone just mentioned JT not being happy with revenue from Bristol-Exeter these days.

The other thing, upgrading these routes would be a big undertaking, especially R&C is a bit too basic. Shouldn't be too hard to replace the trees anyway. Plus, most of the workshop uses US-only DLC which certainly didn't help over the years (I didn't find a single one I could play). Made my own, had fun, moved on. Keeping Ohio Steel but I figured that the Provo side of Soldier Summit is pretty much the same.

26. hayward.john48

Rich Garber was approached a long time ago and his response was a very definite no. I am extending Eagle Lake and it is not about not brave enough it is not finished and if you read the post I said that I would consider posting as long as I can ensure that I do not breach Rich Garber’s copyright. I cannot afford to be sued and if that is being” not brave enough” - you try it.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  27. ex_railwayman

Donner Pass, Marias Pass, Sherman Hill and Horseshoe Curve have all been ''spruced up'' by the American community and most are in the RWA library, and various websites, like Mike Durdan's. I wasn't talking about extending any routes, especially, as we can't change the developer's original creations, without permission, and any updated routes would be free to the community like those above and all the British, German and French route upgrades on various websites and Facebook page groups, are. I wasn't thinking of having them on Steam either, as that obviously restricts the amount and quality of assets that can be utilised. I thought the Americans might do something similar with their layouts which we now have a lot of, this is a hobby and some folks might have a little bit of time on their hands and might relish having a go at upgrading routes, especially, the older ones, we have a lot of assets available now in our Assets folders, some of these routes from 12/13 year's ago, etc, might enjoy a bit of extra attention.
    And I'm sure the vegetation, etc, readily available on European routes can also be used on American ones as well, we don't need to be too restrictive.

• Like Like x 1
  28. hayward.john48

I understand your point and motives. Some third party developers are willing, even encouraging, to allow improvements to their work others not. I approached the developer of Blackwood Creek, Mark Howarth, and he was very amenable so long as his work was acknowledged but Rich Garber did not want his original work altered. It is very much an individual choice. Of course there is nothing to stop an individual making alterations, extra sidings, changing signage and scenery for their own personal use - releasing it to the community requires the original developer’s permission freeware or not. I do it all the time, tinkering about: for me it’s the best part about TS20XX and the weakness of TSWx

• Like Like x 3
  29. ex_railwayman

Yes, absolutely, these developers have made their choices, we must respect that. And your comment regarding tinkering on routes on TS20xx is the best part of the simulator is spot on, I don't play on TSW any more as it isn't the way I want to play that version of the game. I have about 250 routes from all the various countries and virtually every one of them has been changed to some degree with added and amended scenery items, depending on the era that the route represents, and to repair any mistakes that DTG made when the DLC was released, floating buildings, etc, even down to the period cars parked in station parking lots and static forklift trucks in warehouse yards that can be visible from the line, all add to the visual aesthetics as you drive along, which makes this game so enjoyable.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  30. RM5chris

RM5chris New Member

I recently bought Fort Smith and either I have re-introduced the problem or that needs a fix as well. Although not on Steam, is there a patch as well for this route or anyone able to advise how I can fix?

Thanks in Advance
    Chris

31. RM5chris

RM5chris New Member

I think I might have done it by editing the RoutePropertiesxml as mentioned above - bit nervous but did it - no issues on a quick test!

• Like Like x 1
  32. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Glad it helped :)

33. RM5chris

RM5chris New Member

Completed the hour long first scenario for the Fort Smith route - no big black blocks!
    Thanks for your patches, comments, help and advice in the posts above.

I know the all aboard routes are old now, but I still find them very immersive and enjoy playing them....albeit with lots of stock swapped out now!

• Like Like x 2
  34. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

Out of appreciation, and a casual bump, I'd like to thank Spikee for delivering this.
    I installed the fix for Ohio Steel and while my brain still projects those big black boxes to some locations, they actually aren't there.
    20231125092005_1.jpg
    Using this bus was a bit awkward with the doors on the wrong side, but anyway. It's way better than using the red double deckers :)

• Like Like x 1
  35. Spikee1975

Spikee1975 Well-Known Member

Haha, yeah it was fun sorting this issue :). Especially as I had seen another fix on RWA which just removed the cars from the road traffic blueprint and replaced them with others. I wanted to _really_ fix it :D

36. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The strange thing about the standard Kuju Double Decker Bus is it does not have doors on either side :o

• Helpful Helpful x 1