First Generation Dmu's For Trans Pennine

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by theorganist, Dec 19, 2018.

1. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I know I am not going to be fashionable here but I would like to see more first generation DMU's. They may not be as glamorous as the mainline diesel loco's but they were the lifeblood of local and many longer distance services yet they are often forgotten. It was something that happened not just in train simulation but model railways too and even the preservation movement only took much notice of them in their dying days. Why no class 120 sets were preserved is beyond me and why class 100 and class 103 vehicles were scrapped as late as the 90's leaves me speechless.

As lovely as the class 101 is, it is the "go-to" DMU as though that box has been ticked. In 1983 Newton Heath and Longsight between them had class 100, 101, 103, 104, 105, 108 and class 120, Neville Hill would have had class 101, 108, 110 and 111 so plenty of scope for other models. Units were often mixed liveries and mixed classes.

However we will probably end up with several different loco's but only one class of DMU which will not be representative of what was seen at the time. I wouldn't mind but they haven't even given us the option of having a proper three car set with the class 101 or a power trailer set.

• Like Like x 1