Fps

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by nockwurst, Apr 21, 2022.

1. nockwurst

nockwurst Well-Known Member

According to my TV this is my FPS while I’m playing TSW2 - Dresden. Seems unreal when I read some of the threads here about frame rates, but I don’t seem to be plagued by stuttering like a lot of people. Just crashed games once in a blue moon, etc etc. Am I losing my mind or just reading it wrong?
    Series S, HDMI 3,1, 4K.

2E3ACEF3-B49D-4BCB-A1D8-60EFCFC035F8.jpeg

2. shimarin

shimarin Active Member

The game is targeting 60FPS. Use the in-game FPS counter to display (seemingly) accurate FPS readout. The XSX have trouble maintainig 4K60FPS, sometimes even nowhere near big stations. On certain routes if you use the zoom function the game will drop 10–15 FPS, while on other routes the XSX can drop to single digit frame-rates… From my super limited testing (spawn at Dresden and watch the FPS counter), the XSS in 1080p mode runs about the same as the XSX (in 4K).

(Also your display will still says 120fps even when you're running content that's 100% capped at a lower frame rate (ie the Xbox Dashboard, or Netflix/YouTube videos), because the Xbox sends out a 120Hz signal.)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Quite often, a quirk I have noticed, is that the OSD of TVs or monitors will actually display double the actual FPS they are getting with some XBox content, so you may be looking at 53fps there (Flight Sim in its uncapped FPS mode is a good example here, there's no way my Series X is running that at 90fps, you can tell that with the naked eye, but 45 is absolutely believable for what I am seeing), but I see VRR is on, which as long as you're getting over 50fps will eliminate a lot of what would be noticeable about running at a framerate that diverges a bit from a strict 60

• Like Like x 1
  4. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

That framerate seems unrealistic, but the XSX handles TSW at 4k60 no problem for me, the slower I can get it to go is ~30fps at Victoria (without starting to zoom that can kill fps).

Most of the stuttering and crashes happens on Series S, I assume due to the lower amount of RAM.
    Huh? You can cap the FPS on MSFS? I thought that was a dev mode feature? (which of course is PC only because Microsoft wouldn't trust its own console owners with anything beyond starting and playing the game)

5. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

You need to set a very specific set of options in the console's video output settings (120hz mode, VRR on, etc) for it to default to the uncapped mode on XBox, but you'll see when you've done it right because suddenly it goes from a locked 30 to a much more variable number, generally between 40 and 60.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
  6. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Sadly I have a 60Hz monitor, but I'll check VRR since my monitor supports FreeSync, but it should be enabled already