Freeware Route Of The Year - Nominations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by inversnecky, Apr 13, 2021.

1. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

I only have a limited experience with freeware routes, but North East Rails v.3 is very good.

• Like Like x 1
  2. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

It is excellent yes, also may I suggest Network Scot East's route on ATS, awesome sauce.

3. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

I installed the Fen Lines a few months ago, and the Breckland this week. What amazing lines, the both of them - the scenery is absolutely stunning, and for free.

In case you need any further convincing, here's my latest YouTube blockbuster (Alan Thomson, watch out!!) of a journey on the Breckland. Think it was my second run on it.

As OBS won't record in 4K, I had to reduce the screen resolution for TS, so it's sub optimal, but decent enough!

4. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Wycombe Line
    Bergen Line

5. olsbyn

olsbyn Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. Altdorf

Altdorf New Member

The great thing about ts2021 is the great mod community and alot of routes are worthy of praise. And a thread like this is great way to find some gems. So i would like to add two of my favourite routes.

Preßnitztalbahn, rail-sim.de. Great german 750mm gauge narrow gauge route. Lots of detail and custom scenery. Suitable rolling stock is avaible but payware.

Cheyenne 1869 extension,railworksamerica.com. An extension of the route included with the smokebox 119. Includes Sherman hill and into the plains beyond. great route for the fantastic smokebox loco's. The Dale Creek trestle bridge is a fantastic sight.

• Like Like x 2
  7. malmac

malmac New Member

Not new routes but a couple of my favourites are the Morecambe bay workshop route to Ulverston and the West Highland Wandering route to Callander, Killin and Comrie. Both capture the landscape wonderfully without resorting to a long list of payware requirements.
    I would also mention the still epic North Lincs and the Coniston branch routes in the proper freeware category.
    Oh and all the DPS and Backdated stuff and the no longer with us GEML to Norwich and Suburban Glasgow south of the Clyde and...
    Sorry I can't choose.

8. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

The Wycombe Railway and Joint Line Plus v5.
    I havent run on any other route, since this was released in July 2021.
    Doesn't need a shed load of payware either.

http://www.vpris.co.uk/

• Like Like x 1
  9. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

There are some wonderful routes and thanks too all creators of freeware products.

My top three would be:

Wycombe Railway and Joint Line V5 it is wonderfully created with so much to do and oozes atmosphere and keeps growing

South Lancashire and Cheshire V5 there are not many true BR blue routes, payware or freeware so this fills a huge gap. It is another labour of love and is of very good quality. You can run anything from expresses, stopping DMU's and EMU's and plenty of freight and industry Another route which keeps growing.

The Ruabon to Barmouth line (with Blaneau branch) from the Recreating Britains Lost Routes Facebook page - a lovely and very scenic route which again oozes atmosphere. Captures the area well from the lush river valleys to the starkness of the Blaneau branch

• Like Like x 1
  10. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

South Lancs is superb and i have had every version installed.
    Would be a permanent keep for me if it was merged with NWC.

11. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's where a major part of the problems stem from. There are routes I would definitely run if not for missing the half to Holyhead.

• Like Like x 1
  12. PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā

PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā Well-Known Member

Conwy Valley Line - backdated trainsim