Funicular

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by RJ266, Aug 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. RJ266

RJ266 New Member

To add funicular’s into the game would certainly be different but would also be quite fun to operate different funicular’s around the world. It could also include different scenarios ranging from evacs to a routine timetable.

2. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that a funicular would make for much of a route- they tend to be pretty short, the journey is perforce always the same and they're usually controlled by someone in a cabin at one end or other or automatic.

Not shooting this down though- a funicular railway or rope-worked incline (much used by industry with the Bowes Railway having an example not far from me- must go one day) would add scenic and possibly operational interest to a route that included one if it could be implemented.

3. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

I know it isn't a funicular, but maybe the Pikes Peak Cog Railway? It's really steep like a funicular plus it's decently long and uses steam engines sometimes if I'm not mistaken.

4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

8.9 miles - you go one way along a single track with loops and then you come back.

5. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

Well long for a cog railway imo. I'm pretty sure it takes a decent amount of time to get to the top anyway.

6. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

IIRC on a school trip to Switzerland* we traveled on a narrow gauge railway that was cog but only on steeper inclines. If my memory serves, there could be some scope for fun on a funicular railway.

*I was travelling incognito.

7. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

Cool. A cog railway in the US or Switzerland could be great.