Game Over

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by ItsYa165, Nov 24, 2018.

1. ItsYa165

ItsYa165 Well-Known Member

Why is Game Over involuntary? As soon as the train derails, or you pass a signal at danger, the game simply ends. I wanted to see what happens next, or the aftermath of a catastrophic tilt or collision. Without this, the game is mono-directional and not as fun as it could be. Banter is a key feature of any game, especially some of the most serious titles.

Also, the aspect of violence is another important component of railways. The risk of death, electrocution, impact, destruction... these are some of the things that need to be balanced with the joy of driving and riding. It gives a purpose for minding the gap, staying off the tracks, away from naked conductors.

Despite this, it is a large consideration for development - which I fully understand that could be considered an unjust diversion of production, and a cost. It may also involve raising the age rating of the game, but the majority of players are at or above the age of 16 years. They understand the dangers in real life, but acknowledge the greater safety that is maintained across networks.

That means Train Sim World is an ultimate opportunity for education on railway safety, although the boot screen tells us not to reenact, in reality, what happens in-game. But as a train enthusiast, I think more danger should be added to the game, and Game Over should be completely optional so users can see the negative effects of a service failure for themselves.
    [​IMG]
    If a player was to derail at Paddington, they should suffer the consequences. And if multiplayer was added (see my thread on that https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/multiplayer.12086/#post-55935 ), a team of engineers (some AI, some players) could come and fix the derailment (unrealistically quickly of course). This could be done a similar way to how the cab is set up. Several points on the body of train need to be clicked to identify the problem, which are highlighted with that blue arrow. Then several pieces of equipment are needed, which are then used by holding 'E' at the points. The transition of fixture is then witnessed as the train is slowly picked back up on its feet. But if it's a more serious derailment, players must wait for the service to be removed rather than continued - which is systematically easier.
    [​IMG]
    This way, the only effect on the timetable is that one service is missing as it despawned. All other services continue as normal: following their individual departure and arrival times.

Changing the subject, if a player was to die in a humorously tragic accident, a death message should appear onscreen. It should say who died and how they died/what they died from, and if a player was involved in the cause of that death, it should be mentioned to. For instance, "ItsYa165 was gobbled at speed by TrainSim-Matt's Class 43". I would then respawn at the nearest safe location 5 seconds after my slaughter, e.g. the cess or a close station or yard.

This ties in nicely to the existence of hazard signs at stations. It also works well with my concept of voice announcements and matrix functionality ( https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/working-electric-timetables-for-gwe.12085/ ), so that players will be alerted of speeding or approaching trains and reminded to mind the gap between the train and the platform.
    [​IMG]

In conclusion, I believe Game Over should be removed because it's obnoxious. And that more danger should be added to make the game more interesting and functional as well. What do you think?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Puffing Nora

Puffing Nora Guest

No thanks. I want to relax in game not risk death. There's enough of that going around already.

• Like Like x 5
  3. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

Operators often will not license content if derailments or over game ending events were shown as they believe it to be a negative portrayal of their company.

• Like Like x 6
  4. ItsYa165

ItsYa165 Well-Known Member

get good

5. hightower

hightower Guest

I agree...to an extent. I think your proposal is a bit much, but certainly the same system as in Train Sim would be good. You should be able to go through a stop signal without the game ending.

If it was a licensing issue then there wouldn’t be this feature in Train Sim. I don’t think that’s got anything to do with it.

6. Chrizzly14

Chrizzly14 Member

But for multiplayer we need this game over function cause of players which wanna annoy the other. And sure there are licensing Problems. BNSF is one of the companies

7. hightower

hightower Guest

It could easily be limited to single player only. The BNSF licensing thing is something completely different, we’re talking about something specific.

8. Chrizzly14

Chrizzly14 Member

Uhm I don't think so. Some Companies gave never licenses to train simulator. So of course crashes have something to do with this