Game Won't Shut Down...

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by John Murphy, Nov 9, 2019.

1. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

So I finish up playing TS for the day and quit out to the desktop. I go to exit Steam and I get a message that it needs to wait for TS to shut down first. So I give it a while and...of course, nothing happens. It just sits there running in limbo. I go into my Steam Library and hit the big blue STOP button and...of course, nothing happens. So I have to force quit out of it. I tried restarting the game, restarting Steam, restarting my computer, verifying the game files, everything. Nothing works. I just started noticing this tonight. I even quit out of the game earlier today and it shut down just fine. Now suddenly it doesn't want to shut down and I have to force quit every time.

Let me guess...to fix it I'm gonna have to do yet another reinstall, which for me usually takes up around 7 hours, just for it to do absolutely nothing? I just hope it doesn't damage or corrupt any of my files if I force quit it.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Why do people thing the way to crack a nut is with a Sledgehammer?
    My car was a bit sluggish - maybe i should remove and reinstall the engine.
    The Sound system on my computer was a bit erratic - maybe I should remove Windows and reinstall it.

If you have a ANY Program that has not shut down
    Open Task Manager by Right Clicking on the Taskbar at the bottom
    Find the Program which won't close Highlight it and End Program - simple

Are you using 32bit?
    Sometimes you think it has closed down but it has not and if it crashes out it just sits there in the background

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  3. Brickrail782

Brickrail782 Active Member

Yeah, what 749006 said. Just open your task manager and select Train Simulator, then click end program.

4. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

Because a sledgehammer is awesome.

But if I keep force quitting every time, won't that corrupt files? I've had that happen to me before with other programs.

5. treid09

treid09 Guest

. I don't think it would mess up your files. I've had to do it many times with TS, most recently with workshop problems. I actually couldn't even open task manager it was so bad. Had to use the old CTRL ALT DEL trick to log off or switch users. I wouldn't think it would be a long term solution though. Seeing as you already tried file verification, uninstalling, while not the first choice of method, might fix your issue. Also, I would look to see if your workshop items are interfering. Hope that helps, God bless. (Sledgehammers are awesome by the way)