Gbrf Work In Progress

Discussion in 'Creation Centre' started by Mack Winston, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Mack Winston

Mack Winston Active Member

I thought the new GBRf livery that's gone onto 50049 and 50007 this year to look really nice (and if you didn't know you'd think these locos hadn't long come from the factory). So I've reskinned the class 50 available from Steam. It's still work in progress (some unresolved issues).

20190606224510_1.jpg
    20190606230110_1.jpg

My big problem is numbering: I've not found out a way to truly stop the numbers and nameplates from the large logo version of the loco from loading, even after getting rid of absolutely all the references. The best I've done so far is to make it so that it only loads the default number - but I'm having problems with the texture (I think it's because the GIMP is always saving 8 mipmaps and it wants 6). I really don't want it to load number/nameplate textures at all anyway because 50007 Hercules is painted as 50014 Warspite on one side, and the numbering scheme can't cope with that. The workaround I've come up with is to convert the default number/nameplate into a blank transparent texture - it's still loaded, but basically invisible. That way I can just put the number/nameplate on the main texture and be done with it.

I've not found anywhere online that explains how Train Simulator does loco numbering, and how to modify it (it may be buried in a tutorial video - it's really unfortunate that everyone's making videos instead of text tutorials - because videos do not get indexed and are not searchable - and I'm not watching through 10 hours of tutorials on the same thing to find the one that actually talks about how loco numbering is set up! So if anyone knows how this works, I would be interested to know).

Sharing these will be 'interesting' since it's going to be a very manual process to install them.