Glasgow South Western Line

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by shipbiulder#6875, Apr 30, 2021.

1. shipbiulder#6875

shipbiulder#6875 New Member

The Glasgow South Western Line is the a main line opperating between Glasgow and Kilmarnock at the western branch and Carlisle on the eastern branch of the line. It is double track for the whole of the Carlisle branch and up to Dalrymple Junction on the Stranraer branch. The Stranrear branch also uses token signalling from Girvan through to Stranrear. The line is presently opperated using Class 156 Super Sprinters in either single or double formation as well as freight trains carrying coal and diverted trains off the WCML in case of closure.

2. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Uh, isn't this the line in WCML North? We have a Glasgow to Carlisle route. Though there are only 50 million lines south of Glasgow, so it could also be another line I've researched recently.

3. trainbraint

trainbraint Well-Known Member

No, although WCML North has a few of the lines around Glasgow this does not feature. The WCML is the more direct route between the two via Lockerbie and the G&SW is more of a branch route that runs via Kilmarnock and Dumfries. I think the WCML includes the 20-30 mile section between Carlisle and Dumfries though. This would be an interesting route I agree, since it sees a lot of different types of multiple units running from the works at Brodie Kilmarnock south after refurbishment, often loco hauled if they are electric.

4. shipbiulder#6875

shipbiulder#6875 New Member

Yep, G&SW is the rural route. Last time I was at Kilmarnock I saw a Rail Operations Group Class 37 hauling a 3 Mk. 3 Inter7City coaches.