Glasgow Subway

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by trainsimplayer, Jul 10, 2021.

1. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Introduction
    "Ah, it's a bonnie wee day in Glesga (Glasgow). Just went oot shoppin' fur the kid's birthday. Wit? Widdae ye mean eh busses are aff?
    Ack. Mon, we'll tak the subway in tae the city."

The Glasgow Subway is the world 3rd oldest Subway, after the former Metropolitan Railway, now London Underground, and the Budapest Metro.

Opened in 1896, the Subway has never expanded outside it's circle network.

Rolling Stock
    The Glasgow Subway generation 2 stock, entering service in 1980, after being constructed by Metro-Cammell, they operate the system alone.
    There are 36 cars in operation, in formations of 3 cars, meaning there are 12 trains on the network.

Having Design similarities to the London Underground stock on Bakerloo, they have a recognisable feel, even if (unlike myself, for example) you haven't used the subway before.
    1280px-GLASGOW_SUBWAY_BUCHANAN_STREET_SCOTLAND_SEP_2013_(9689698808).jpg 1280px-Partick_subway_station_train_interior.jpg

Network/Stations
    Glasgow_Subway_map.png
    St. Enoch
    St. Enoch station is the network's Second busiest station. Serving the St. Enoch centre, and the River Clyde, as well as being withing Walking Distance of Glasgow Central station, and the Shopping street of Argyle Street.
    news_5115.jpg
    St Enoch shown at Street Level, with the former station building to the upper-left, with the two new entrances visible.

Buchanan Street
    Buchanan Street is the system's busiest station, with over 2 million passengers per year. Having a direct walkway to Glasgow Queen Street station, and being close to Buchanan Street Bus Station - Glasgow's main bus station - the station sees a lot of use for connecting travellers, as well as serving Glasgow City Chambers, The Buchanan Galleries, George Square, And the world's tallest Cinema - Cineworld Glasgow.

Cowcaddens
    Cowcaddens station serves the Cowcaddens area of Glasgow. Serving the Glasgow School of Art, and Caledonian University, the station sees around half a million passengers a year.

St George's Cross
    St George's Cross (Apostrophe) serves the Woodside & Woodlands areas of Glasgow. Being in walking Distance of Firhill Stadium, home of Partick Thisle FC (not in Partick) this station sees some - but not many - football-related passengers. St George's Cross (the road junction that is the namesake of the station) was formerly a very busy road junction, but following the construction of the M8 Motorway, and the re-alignment of the junction, it lost this importance.
    The M8 itself is only a few hundred yards away.
    This station also serves Great Western Road, the start of the A82 to Inverness. The wonderful, slow & scenic route to Inverness. The next station also serves this road;

Kelvinbridge
    Kelvinbridge is a relatively busy station, serving the wonderful Kelvingrove park, and the University of Glasgow.
    Has a park & ride though.
    Hillhead
    The System's 3rd busiest station, Hillhead serves the University (again), The Glasgow Botanic Gardens, and two streets truly embedded in the West End's society, Ashton Lane & Byres Road.

Kelvinhall
    Kelvinhall is a surprisingly Quiet Station, serving the Kelvin Hall exhibition centre, one of Britain's largest, it also serves the Wonderful Kelvingrove Art Gallery & Museum, I totally recommend the museum to anyone up this way - but anyway, back on topic - the station is the 3rd to serve the University of Glasgow, but is the lesser used of the three.

Partick (Interchange)
    Partick Station is a very modern station. An Interchange with ScotRail services to Lanark, Motherwell, Hamilton, Milngavie, Balloch and others on the Argyle Line, as well as North Clyde Line services to Helensburgh, Balloch, Milngavie, Springburn, Airdrie and Edinburgh.
    The Station also serves the SEC (Scottish Exhibition Centre) campus, and the Riverside Transport Museum.

And, as most of us are into railways, if your ever in Glasgow, hop on the subway round to Partick, and check out the Transport Museum. It's totally free, and I fully recommend it.

Partick Station replaced Merkland Street, which was destroyed and replaced during the Glasgow Blitz, during World War Two.

Govan
    No, it's not Go, Van! It's guv-an.

The station sees nearly a million passengers a year, serving the Govan area of Glasgow. Not much to discuss.

Broomloan Road Depot
    Broomloan Road Depot is the Subway's Only outdoor section. Situated between Ibrox & Govan, the depot maintains all subway stock. Ibrox Stadium (Rangers FC) is visible from the Depot as well.

Ibrox
    (Formerly Copland Road)
    Ibrox Station is a very quiet station, Despite the common influx of supporters of Glasgow Rangers, who provide a lot of passengers, with 50,000 at matches. (Maybe it's because Ibrox is just an empty place but anyway)

The Station was once called Copland Road, the road both it and Ibrox Stadium are situated on.

Cessnock
    Cessnock is one of the quieter stations. Seeing 442,523 passengers a year, the station serves Glasgow's Science Centre (fully recommended) complex, which includes the Glasgow Tower - Scotland's tallest structure - and the IMAX Cinema within - and serves BBC Scotland's Pacific Quay HQ.

Kinning Park
    The Subway's second least-used station, with 243,074 passengers a year, Kinning Park serves...

...literally nothing interesting. Moving on!

Shields Road
    Shields Road serves the Scotland Street School Museum, as well as being literally right next to the M74/M8 Junction(s)
    Screenshot_20210710_165025.jpg
    And actually, it's not even on Shield's road, it's on Scotland Street.
    Has a Park & Ride though!

And no, it isn't potential for a link to GCC via Shields Road Depot, too much walking distance... Unless they decide to let us walk between...
    Not-so-subtle-hint...

West Street
    Least-Used Station on the Subway, with less than 100,000 passengers per year.
    Nothing else to say

Bridge Street
    Bridge Street, a station of 380,000 passengers, the station has a Park and Ride, and also serves the Glasgow Sheriff Court. The station is also across the street from the former Bridge Street terminus, which was replaced by Glasgow Central, across the river.

Could potentially connect to GCC if we had the Glasgow Central entrances added...

Technical Details
    The system has ATO Level 2, which sees the Driver control the Doors, and press a button to start after stations.
    For Players, the ATO could be disabled for manual control, I'd imagine this would be by default, rather then the opposite.

The Subway uses 4ft Gauge, and uses 600 Volt DC for power.

Services
    Services run every 6-8 minutes at off-peak per circle, with increases to every few minutes in peak times.

Scenarios
    I don't usually suggest these, but I will for once.

No Way In
    After a train broke down in the tunnels between West Street & Shields Road, the Inner Circle has been shut down. Instead, you are operating a special service to boost capacity on the Outer circle.

Let's Go Round Again
    (HST Reference :D)
    A Special Railtour service operating between Helensburgh Central and Inverness, operated by a InterCity 125 unit, has to be run in two halves due to a Line Closure between Partick & Queen Street.
    You'll be operating a Railtour Special around the Inner Circle to take the Railfans to catch the HST.

In or Out
    Hello Shunter! Starting your Shift at Broomloan Road Depot, you choose between operating the Inner or Outer Circle, and operate the train around the Line until Buchanan Street, when another driver will take over.

The Big Game (Part One)
    Hello Driver. As you'll know, the Old Firm Derby is on today at Ibrox. You're in charge of two runs around the Inner Circle, where you'll be able to have a break to prepare for later.

The Big Game (Part Two)
    Hello Again. You're late. Catch the first train you can round to Buchanan Street and wait on your train arriving. When it does, operate it round the Outer Circle twice whilst the ~5,000 fans who are using the subway get round home. Expect more red signals than earlier.

Pricing
    Again, I don't like saying anything about the Price, but I do not think this should be a £25 add-on. In fact, I think it's pushing it for £20, it's hardly much. £15 I would say is the max.

Collectibles
    Posters (30)

Could be advertising the Sights around the route.
    Maps (30)
    The following.
    Glasgow_Subway_map.png
    Fix Platform Tiles (15)

Fix some platform tiles around the Stations
    Replace Outdated Signs (15)
    A good way to get the classic Subway signs in, before you go on ahead and replace them with shiny new ones.

Why This Route?
    I have used the Subway many a time, and it's a really nice network with a very Unique Feel. It also would be a good Rush Hour-like route, with constant services.

I think a very good feature here as well would be the ability to go up to Street Level, and have a little look around, not too far, but give it some life.
    Thanks For Reading

• Like Like x 6
  2. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

I think this route has more potential than it would seem, I would buy this for sure :) and again another great suggestion, the new standard for other suggestions :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. trainsimplayer

Indeed, the Subway is a very unique system which has more than meets the eye.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jackunion

jackunion Member

I suggested very similar scenarios too on another thread.

Are driver changes taking place at Buchanan St instead of Govan now?

Fun fact. Park at the very eastern corner of the Shields Rd car park and you are closer to the West Street entrance than you are to Shields Rd.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
  5. trainsimplayer

Honestly that is one thing I can't say I know about the Subway. I chose Buchanan Street mostly just for scenario convenience more than anything tbh.

• Like Like x 2
  6. jackunion

jackunion Member

Ah ok. I was wondering because SPT HQ is round the corner from Buchanan St station but driver changeovers always took place at Govan, across from the depot. Also the Subway control is above Govan station.

7. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Annoying fact: the Clockwork Orange's four foot gauge track and small loading gauge which helped keep the cost of its initial construction down now makes it very expensive to buy new rolling stock for because nothing "off the shelf" is suitable.

• Like Like x 2
  8. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Really excellent idea and for the scenario called Big game it should be Old Firm

9. trainsimplayer

I chose not to because let's be honest - scenario titles are typically vague, and it makes a bit more sense from the subway POV.

• Like Like x 2