Great Western 1970's Pack Stats Now In Steamdb

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by WonterRail, Feb 5, 2021.

1. WonterRail

WonterRail Well-Known Member

Here we are again, as one UK add-on comes out, another one is getting ready for release. Specifically, the Great Western 1970's pack for Great Western Express.

This also offers our first look at what locomotives will be included. Obviously the class 52 we already knew about, but seems like this pack will also come with the class 101.....

I bet that's gonna go down well with alot of people....

Steamdb: https://steamdb.info/app/1282590/history/?changeid=U:21130315

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  2. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Oh no. The 101. Sobs.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

Me dont like 101

• Like Like x 8
  4. JZJ90

JZJ90 Active Member

Isn't the 101 already in BR blue?
    I had really been hoping for a class 50, or a rat tbh.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

A bit disappointing really, I wonder if it should be called a loco pack? If the prior chat was correct then hopefully it has a whole extra timetable and maybe changes the era of the line, so its not the locos that matter as much I guess. But yes we already have the 101 twice in BR blue and a repaintable 52 so hopefully this info is seriously underselling it!

• Like Like x 4
  6. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

This looks as good of a deal as the non descript sandwiches you see in corner shops.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Was hoping for a BR Blue/grey HST set.....

• Like Like x 8
  8. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

If this is gonna use the same BR Blue coaches from NTP, I guess this pack won't really offer much new stuff. So far, not much to hype about IMO.

Unless DTG is keeping something secret...

• Like Like x 4
  9. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

It's in blue grey at the moment so I'm guessing it'll come in an allover BR blue livery

• Like Like x 1
  10. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

I was looking forward to this, but now I'm a little unsure what it holds for us.

The lack of any achievements relating to service mode is a concern. Is it going to literally be a scenario pack with some new liveries... If so then the normal £11.99 won't be worth it as it brings very little to the table.

If it does come with a timetable mode, I really hope that loco swaps at Paddington are included, and they've not just top and tailed it.

• Like Like x 5
  11. RobSkip

RobSkip Well-Known Member

Well it was already public that it'd include a Western, so a HST would barely work. There was 4 months of overlap between the start of HST passenger services and the last Western railtours on the Western Region, and in that time Westerns mostly stayed to the West on freight, with few appearances East of Reading.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Hadn't realised anything was out in the public domain about this pack.

It was only 4 days ago it was being pushed around as almost unknown as to its contents....

• Like Like x 1
  13. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

This immediately seems lazy. Considering 117s were the mainstay of stoppers out of Paddington at this time, it seems odd to include a 101...

• Like Like x 9
  14. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

All we've got is a text file so far. Can't we wait a little bit longer before writing it off? I'm still looking forward to it anyway.

• Like Like x 6
  15. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, most of the time the content shown in SteamDB is what we get at launch.

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

Speculation is one thing but there's no point jumping the gun and complaining when we don't know the full details. There's nothing to say this is the full extent of the pack, this could just be placeholder info, or they have more to reveal in the future, we simply don't know.

• Like Like x 3
  17. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Considering DTG tell us that they want to create as realistic an experience as possible maybe they could explain how using the class 101 to represent the local DMU on the GWML in the 1970's is at all realistic when the only class 101 vehicles in the London division at the time were three centre carriages and they were only used as spares or to strengthen other sets IIRC. The class 117 was THE Paddington to Reading DMU at the time. Class 101's didn't arrive in numbers until the late 80's when they were used mainly at first for Reading to Basingstoke/Gatwick services.

I would have set aside my disappointment that it was set on the modern day GWML if it had come with a new DMU but I certainly won't be purchasing it now. I guess the class 101 will be THE TSW DMU and will appear every time DTG need one.

You wouldn't dare include a class 40 instead of a class 52 as that would be wholly unrealistic and cause much disappointment, so why is it different with DMU's which were the true backbone of BR diesel routes and the trains most people would have had contact with.

This is with the caveat that the above stats are correct but they clearly display "class 101". I will gleefully eat humble pie if I am wrong and therefore speaking a bit too hastily on the subject!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 13
  18. theorganist

Presumably it will be in the all over blue of the 70's not the blue/grey livery of the 80's, especially with DTG's quest for realism for this add-on!!

• Like Like x 1
  19. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

I want to understand this correctly, because I may not be. The Great Western 70's "Pack" is a single new loco and essentially a reskin for an existing DMU that doesn't even belong on that line in that era? Come on.

• Like Like x 6
  20. Cyklisten

Cyklisten Well-Known Member

Oh well, this "Flat nose little clown of a train" strikes again, but I like class 101, maybe it will fit on GWR anyway...

• Like Like x 1
  21. RobSkip

RobSkip Well-Known Member

The Western isn't new either.

• Like Like x 3
  22. theorganist

It isn't realistic for that route in that period.

• Like Like x 4
  23. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Class 50s would be much more appropriate in my opinion.

• Like Like x 3
  24. theorganist

A 50 would be nice but you need a realistic local train too.

• Like Like x 3
  25. mattdsoares

Good call. So I'll rephrase. I want to understand this right. The Great Western 70s theme "pack" which the roadmap lists as a loco add-on, isn't actually a loco add-on. It's actually a reskin of a class 52, and a reskin of a class 101 which doesn't even belong on that line in that era? Come on.

Well, I guess we'll have to see what they think they can price this at.

• Like Like x 11
  26. theorganist

And on a line which isn't set in the era the pack is representing!

• Like Like x 4
  27. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

All speculation at this moment in time but how can you honestly feel like you’re driving on a proper 70s route if DTG don’t change the route at all?

Modern stations, electrification, LED signals/no semaphores etc. The list goes on...

• Like Like x 10
  28. mattdsoares

My brain just broke.

• Like Like x 6
  29. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree with this. If it was a 117 instead, you'd have me hook, line and sinker! Another 101 is likely to be a miss for me...

• Like Like x 8
  30. jevan-dean

jevan-dean Active Member

So just recycling content then by looks of it or unless they are keeping something secret

31. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

To a casual player who does not already own the 101 or the ‘Western’ then it becomes quite a good value pack.
    The scenario and livery editors further increase the value a casual player will get.

It was never gonna be much value for those interested in realism at it didn’t even have a proper route. Maybe they should have looked into a proper railtour DLC with some interesting engines and scenarios which wouldn’t be out of place on the modern GWE.

• Like Like x 3
  32. nielsmallant100

nielsmallant100 Well-Known Member

So basically the class 101 and 52. So it's more like a repaint and scenario pack by the sounds of it. I know we don't know the details yet. But this pretty much confirms these will at least be the trains. Don't see how the 101 is fitting in anyway except because it's easy to copy and paste like for TVL. 52 is Okay I guess but again, nothing new at all.

• Like Like x 1
  33. Thorman

Thorman Active Member

Let's hope it is sold very cheap,because is seems like a huge letdown to me... I was hyped about it but now It could be a hard pass...

• Like Like x 4
  34. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Maybe this will be a freebie for the dedicated fanbase....cause it doesn't sound like they've put much effort into it.

I like the "different era on the same route" concept, but the execution seems lacking.

• Like Like x 2
  35. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

I think this sort of content pack could be a really awesome thing. I hope DTG implement a good first impression so we can see more in the future!

• Like Like x 2
  36. theorganist

Even very cheap I wouldn't purchase it.

I know I sound like a broken record but you wouldn't put an incorrect diesel loco in the pack so why supply an incorrect DMU?! It used to be the same with model railways, it wasn't until the 90's you started to get a reasonable choice of DMU's.

They won't add layers for certain loco's on the German routes because those loco's don't run on those routes, something I agree with yet they don't appear to want to apply the same level of realism when it comes to providing a DMU. The class 101 will be like a portion of chips, comes with everything!

It is almost as if they are thinking "lets make something quick and easy for fans of 70's railways, lets paint the Western blue and oh we have the class 101 of course, shove them on the GWML as they will be grateful for anything".

• Like Like x 7
  37. ghawk2005

ghawk2005 Well-Known Member

I won’t be buying it then. We so desperately need the Valenta HST, it’s an absolute icon. Madness to not include this. The visual model is almost identical, just new sounds and cab to add. ( and a bit of physics to tweak )

Very disappointed

• Like Like x 5
  38. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

I'm quite amazed that it appears that DTG are releasing 3 UK DLC's in a row, first SEHS, then the 465, now the br blue pack. On top of that it now seems all three are rushed (ok, we haven't seen the 465 yet but does anyone have high hopes of anything special?). Every DLC since HMA seems to have been more and more rushed, and now they're not just in the territory of releasing rushed DLC, it's now INCORRECT DLC to boot with a DMU that barely ran on the route it's being made for!

If they really wanted to make a good pack, include a reskinned HST with valenta sounds and a class 117. They couldv'e used AP's excellent sounds for the Valenta and the 101 sounds on the 117.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 8
  39. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

I’ll be anxiously awaiting the official announcement of this pack and hopefully an in depth look at what we can expect. We don’t have to much to go on in terms of info!

• Like Like x 1
  40. railway12

railway12 Well-Known Member

It just made it on the roadmap and now it's already in Steamdb? Mhhhhhhhh, that sounds like some reused stuff, but I'll wait and see.

• Like Like x 5
  41. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Ufff... No class 20, 33 or 37 in blue? :(

Cheers

• Like Like x 3
  42. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

There must be more to it. Either a feature we don't yet know about.
    Surely someone hasn't simply thought combining a popular DMU with a popular route equals success.

• Like Like x 4
  43. ISKREEM

ISKREEM New Member

Unless they have an ace up their sleeve, I'm going to avoid this like COVID-19.

• Like Like x 1
  44. theorganist

Well none of those would be that suitable for the route either, certainly not the class 20. I think the class 33 would have made the odd appearance in the Acton area on freights from the North London line. The only 37's the Western region had at that time were based at Swansea Landore depot for hauling freight in South Wales so I don't think would have often been seen in the Reading/Paddington area.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  45. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Yeap maybe, but it´s a pack that I would expect to be usable at other routes as well like the class 40 one, no? Or will it be linked to just one route?

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  46. ghawk2005

it would appear BR Blue in this game is Covid-19 - unavoidable and everywhere you look! Haha

• Like Like x 3
  47. Doomotron

It's nice to see DTG try their absolute best (or should it be worse?) to wash away the trust we had in them late last year.

If they're going to do GWML in blue, try to do it properly. Some new trains would be nice. 52s are fine, but a Valenta HST would be nicer, and it's about time we get the Riviera Line in the game.

• Like Like x 16
  48. ghawk2005

Agreed !!!

• Like Like x 3
  49. Doomotron

Unfortunately DTG appears to be making the same mistakes they made in Train Simulator. Rereleasing old DLC is rarely justified, and when it's just a new livery, it's not worth paying for something you can download for free. This DLC is worth absolutely nothing - it's just two locos we already have with a three or so scenarios. In Train Simulator I could make this entire DLC myself over a weekend.

Of course, this DLC will make a lot of people angry, including myself. But the real issue is not this one DLC and its flaws, but whether DTG will continue to do things like this in the future. One mistake can be excused, but repeating the same mistake can't be.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 8
  50. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Has it occurred to anyone that the current file on SteamDB is a placeholder? And that DTG quite deliberately is using existing locos as beards for the actual release locos?

• Like Like x 6