Great Western 1970's Pack Stats Now In Steamdb

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by WonterRail, Feb 5, 2021.

1. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Well you need something to represent the local trains on a route like that, it would have been odd having just fast services along the fast lines. They could have made the named Western Region class 47's as they were quite iconic, those and the reskinned class 52 and maybe one new loco/unit.

They could add layers, class 31's operated out of Paddington for a while on some Hereford trains I think.

• Like Like x 4
  2. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Hopefully when it approaches release, they'll explain why then instead of saying that the 101s did run. They did but they were a rare sight just like the DB BR 101 on SKA

3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

There's a body of evidence saying they didn't so if they do that it will be... unfortunate

4. tallboy7648

How so?

• Like Like x 1
  5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

TRANSLATION
    There's a body of evidence saying that 101s didnt run on that line in that timeframe
    So if DTG do say that 101s DID run in that timerframe that would be unfortunate

• Like Like x 4
  6. nielsmallant100

nielsmallant100 Well-Known Member

they said yesterday during the stream it did run there for a while but that's cap

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

The comment was that according to Adam's book the stock was registered in the area, he didn't actually have any evidence of it running on the lines!

• Like Like x 5
  8. theorganist

They ran there from around 1987 when Reading had an allocation of them so ten years after the last class 52 had been withdrawn. Before that the Western region sets were allocated to Bristol and Plymouth and I am sure a couple at Canton but I can't see any evidence of this now, therefore forays into the Paddington area would have been unusual. There were three centre cars at Reading in 1967 replacing Hawksworth carriages for use to strengthen the class 117 units.

I think Adam is reading the information but extrapolating the wrong "data" from it.

I think what is more annoying from my point of view is the livery is wrong for the period and as I have said they were three coach sets on the Western region at that time.

Anyway I think I have said enough now, I will end up getting a flea in my ear!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

Worth a read:

https://railcar.co.uk/type/class-101/later-operations

Ok, so they weren’t flying up and down the GWML on regular occasions, but it says on the website from Summer 1968 - 17:03 Paddington-Westbury at least was a booked a 101 (or 2 x 101 even).

And I know Wikipedia sometimes isn’t the most reliable but;
    “From 1967, several 101 sets were transferred to serve the South West. Services from Reading to Gatwick Airport and Oxford to Paddington were common.”

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. theorganist

It is worded in a misleading way. In 1967 the three centre cars were allocated to Reading, no more sets were allocated to the Western Region until 1975. The Paddington to Westbury services were the four car sets consisting of a class 117 3 car set and a class 101 centre car. The numbers in bold are the class 101 centre cars, there were no full sets on the Western region till 1975 and they were not allocated to Reading and they would not have been two car units in blue and grey.

Wikipedia is unreliable. There was a wikipedia page for a musician friend of mine full of inaccuracies. He corrected them, being an expert on himself and it got changed again!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. tallboy7648

When looking for historical information, find theorganist on the dtg forum. Wikipedia is not always accurate

• Like Like x 4
  12. theorganist

Lol well maybe not for everything! I do have a passion for these DMU's so I have long researched them and have many books and videos and DVDs.

• Like Like x 4
  13. hibiki

hibiki Well-Known Member

Same here. If we are getting 101s, we may as well throw in NSE Class 104s too :D

• Like Like x 2
  14. Driconian

Driconian Member

Another Class 101 is just disappointing they could have at least reworked the Class 43 HST as well.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  15. thatleedsguy#8590

thatleedsguy#8590 Active Member

If they put the HST in it's original form from that time period, that may have been the tipping point. At least for me, it'd make me want to buy it. The 101 and 08 should've been axed in favour of the HST. Or at the very least, cut the 101 cos it's the odd one out.

I have to say, if Dovetail had pitched this idea to whilst it was in the concept stage, it may have been an entirely different reaction. I know they won't do that, but it's worth saying.

With this community of players, it's beneficial to find out what the reaction could be, especially with an experiment like this. I know they said they wouldn't try it again if it's not a big seller, but the idea CAN work if it's done right.

Is there even a miniscule chance they might re-work and change the pack before release?

• Like Like x 3
  16. theorganist

Unlikely I would think. If they reskinned the class 101 into a blue 3 car set I might just purchase it as they made the effort!

I wonder what part of the 70's it is supposed to be? The 08 is post tops, the DMU in it's post early 80's livery, if the 52 is showing train head codes then that is pre 1976!

• Like Like x 8
  17. davejc64

davejc64 Well-Known Member

Would have much preferred a route set in 70s with the class 52, then I might have considered buying but as it is I wont be buying.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

I think the only influence that the community can have at this point would be regarding what layers get added. Personally Id like the option of all the BR era stock.

• Like Like x 1
  19. davejc64

They just seem to have thrown together a pack to try to satisfy the BR era fans with no real thought involved, they may as well have included a NSE class 166 too,

• Like Like x 5
  20. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Thought it would be a real good chance to rework the BR coaches and get the brakes working properly. It perplexes me how long standing issues are avoided rather than confronted. The 33 and 47 could have joined this pack, but I'll bet they don't, for compatibility reasons.

• Like Like x 2
  21. theorganist

Seems to be the case, not convinced a huge amount of research has gone into it. Seems to be a case of "we better do something for BR fans".

The 47 in particular would be ideal, it would have been a nice touch if they had made the named WR variants. Class 33's I think were often seen on freight trains around the Acton area.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. davejc64

It would be good to add somthing for freight too so class 47 and 33 would be good choices just need to have some BR era freight wagons and the addition of a brake van.

• Like Like x 3
  23. tallboy7648

It does seem that way and it backfired to an extent

• Like Like x 2
  24. ralphy_porter2000

ralphy_porter2000 Active Member

If the release date turns out to be April the 1st and there are some surprise inclusions I would consider that GENIUS PR...Oh look April the 1st is a Thursday ;)

• Like Like x 8
  25. ralphy_porter2000

26. theorganist

• Like Like x 2
  27. ralphy_porter2000

4 new toys, class 13, 117, 43 reskin 52, and maybe if you felt generous bang 08 + 47 and stock. Folks would have waited longer and payed more :)

• Like Like x 1
  28. davejc64

On a slightly related subject does the existing class 52 DLC for TSW 2020 work with TSW 2?

29. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

All TSW 2020 DLCs work with TSW2 (or more accurately, have free TSW2 ports), except for Northeast Corridor.

30. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  31. theorganist

Can you use downloaded reskins in service mode? For example if you painted the TVL class 101 in livery editor into all over blue could you replace the blue/grey one on all services in this new pack?

32. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

yes you can
    Capture.JPG

• Like Like x 6
  33. theorganist

That is interesting to know, thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  34. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

Man, for all it's foibles, the game engine does a bloomin' nice job on a loco!
    That looks fantastic.

• Like Like x 3
  35. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

The new one may well be reworked, tba...
    The new one does have the option to select each of the 74 individual examples though.

• Like Like x 1
  36. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

It is unknown wheter the AI trains will have the reskin. In some routes there is a random chance of encountering your reskins (LGV, SEHS, IoW when it was working and SPG). But on SKA no trains spawns with your livery (no idea about HMA and BKL).

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  37. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Never seen an alt-liv on HMA.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  38. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Or the SW1000R.

Or the ex-Metroliner cab car.

...Or the GP40-2.

No wonder Americans are drooling for Clinchfield!

Cheers

• Like Like x 3
  39. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Further to the 101 issue... I did a few shifts on the NSE Resource Control desk in Swindon Control during the late 80's and early 90's. The Metcams were almost exclusively used on the Redhill/Gatwick and Tonbridge services alongside the 119's. It was pretty much frowned upon to use them on a Paddington service other than as a last resort as they simply wouldn't have kept time given the tight station stops for which the 117's with doors at each seating bay were ideal.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  40. theorganist

That is what I thought was the case. I can imagine there would have been a lot of frowning if a two car set was sent down to Paddington!

Anyway I wouldn't worry, apparently it isn't supposed to be realistic, they save that for the modern add-ons, we just get whatever crumbs they throw us!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 8
  41. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Looks like we are possibly going to see a preview of this pack friday night as part of the weekly railfan TV live streams.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  42. ionutmineadaniel

ionutmineadaniel Well-Known Member

I think that it will be released next Thursday

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  43. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Just had a look at this article. Seems a bit of a pointless DLC to me. Paying to move the class 8 and 101 to another track? Am I missing something or could I not just do that in the scenario editor?

• Like Like x 5
  44. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  45. heardturkey

heardturkey Active Member

Getting tired of reading the same 'worn out' posts.
    I for one am looking forward to the stream and hopefully the release very soon.

Both of the mods are clever (the trainsim.cz one more so) but don't actually provide a new timetable layer. e.g Use the Class 52 Blue mod and try to run an available service using the loco. All it does is act as a substitute the Class 66 freight workings and (from memory) the traffic is all over the place re stock used.

• Like Like x 5
  46. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I’m still not against this pack. I just like driving trains and I can use my imagination. I have no idea what did or didn’t run back then so it won’t spoil the immersion for me.

For me the decider will be. How many new Scenarios/ Services and does it add raildriver support to the 3 locos.

If we get raildriver support and the pack is cheap, I’ll buy it. It’ll keep me quiet for a rainy Sunday afternoon sometime.

Fine if it’s not for you. But if you don’t already have those trains, it could be a decent way to get them.

• Like Like x 2
  47. theorganist

I am not against it, I know it may sound like it.

For me though, I am a big fan of the era and lets face it we haven't been blessed with much content for that era going back to the early days of Railworks, MSTS had a decent amount of content from that era both freeware and payware. TSW started well with the NTP and TVL but I don't think we will see more than that. Therefore when this pack was announced I hoped it would offer some reasonably realistic content for us fans of the era, even if it is on a modern route.

But alas despite the lovely screenshot I have seen of a blue Western in Paddington I can't ignore the blue and grey DMU which is totally out of place.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
  48. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

In my view this pack seems to come with the feeling that they’ve ran out of ideas already and have resorted to mixing eras, trains & routes, which while it could be fun, it’s not what TSW needs right now.

Theres a lot more they can do in terms of adding new content, that uses accurate stock, in realistic time periods, we really shouldn’t be seeing this type of content so soon, when the real experience is yet to be had.

• Like Like x 3
  49. theorganist

Indeed, if you take the older UK content you could with some reskinning create some good period 70's routes. Something like Westbury to Weymouth or Bristol to Salisbury assuming they didn't want to go to Portsmouth. You could use the Western, class 33 and the class 101 would fit in as Bristol had an allocation, it would need to be in blue though! Obviously that means building a new route but they have the stock if they have the imagination!

The Welsh Marches line or the North Wales coast line, they have the stock available to a realistic period representation of both of those.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  50. heardturkey

heardturkey Active Member

A new route that this pack could be used on more prototypically would have been nice but it is not going to happen anytime soon. For the Uk content, DTG seem to be stuck in EMU/commuter route mode at the moment.
    One of the reasons I decided to venture into TSW from MSTS because of the NTP/GWE style of routes. If DTG have decided that these type of routes are not financially viable (or there is not enough interest) then a part of the player base will drift away / revert to their preferred simulator, and I see this pack as possibly a sweetener to try and maintain interest.

I will get the pack, I will have fun creating new liveries, I will have fun creating scenarios, and so, on that basis, the pack will stop my interest in the product waning for a bit longer. The scenarios etc won't be 'true' to life for whatever era I decide to try and re-create but they will be close. I will need to ignore certain things, especially on GWE, and I will have to use my imagination which is always useful when the old brain cells start drifting away:).

And finally, although I have most of the German routes and a couple of USA routes, nothing in the road map tempts me to get the card out and so this pack will be my only purchase in the forseeable future.