PC Great Western Freight - Speed Limits

Discussion in 'TSW Troubleshooting & Issues Discussion' started by hoagy, Dec 21, 2020.

1. hoagy

hoagy Member

Just trying to check what the speed limits are for various traffic in the Great Western route (I'm using latest update of TSW2 on PC, for what it's worth, though this question is more about reality than the sim).

Sorry if this question is in the wrong place, feel free to redirect me.

1. I assume that, with a heavy Cl 66 loco at the front, where there is a differential speed (e.g. 60/75MU) the lower speed always applies with that loco pulling freight?
    2. The Cl66 has a limit of 75mph, but I figure the loads probably have their own limits. I can imagine container traffic being allowed to do the full 75mph, but not heavy aggregates wagons. What would be their limit?

The same seems happy provided you are under the highest line speed. In a section that was 90 limit on the slow line, I got aggregates up to 80 or so, but that seems like it should be considered excessive.

For those of use who haven't learned every detail of the route yet, and therefore rely on the HUD, it'd be nice if the HUD showed differential limits.

2. hoagy

hoagy Member

PS What's the best resource for learning the routes? Are there documents that show gradients/speeds/etc that one can learn from?

3. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

For your first question, you are correct, the upper limit applies to passenger trains, mail trains and light locos, the lower limit applies to everything else.

I'm not quite sure about the top speed of the wagons and I can't seem to find anywhere that has that information. It will also depend on the class of train, as that will determine its maximum speed I think.

As for learning routes, I don't know of any detailed enough route maps to learn from. But this would definitely be something of use, with the exact position of signals and speed changes etc. I personally have just learnt routes through driving them over and over again, but this takes many runs and I've only really managed it with East Coastway.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Smograil

Smograil Member

General rule of thumb - if your train headcode starts with a 4 you can do 75mph subject to line speed allowing. If you're a class 6 you are restricted to 60. Where differential speeds apply, the lower speed is for everything except passenger, parcels or light engines, or if its endorsed MU then the higher speed only applies to multiple units

You can access the rule books online and you can find lots more information in module SP at this link https://www.rssb.co.uk/standards-catalogue/CatalogueItem/GERT8000-SP-Iss-5 , you need to register these days though. They used to be freely available and probably are somewhere on the internet still

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. hoagy

hoagy Member

• Like Like x 2