Harlem Line Preview - Question Thread

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by DTG JD, Mar 9, 2022.

1. Louie

Louie Well-Known Member

I’m going to guess they’re going to use the same technique that they did with Amtrak but instead of opening the doors and putting down the Stepstool they’re just gonna Keep the door shut but that’s just a guess

2. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I feel like issues like that could be resolved of the game had an ai conductor. In reality a conductor would be in the middle of the train and would open and close the doors, not the driver.

3. Louie

Louie Well-Known Member

But then I can you have to remember this is a game built around AI

• Like Like x 1
  4. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

1. Will there be automated announcements for the Metro North M7A EMU?

2. From screenshots, it appears the PIS utilizes that screens from 2009-2019. Will there be updates to reflect Metro North's most recent PIS

3. Will the propulsion/traction motor sounds be improved compared to the LIRR M3/M7

• Like Like x 4
  5. ismaelbenjamin93

ismaelbenjamin93 New Member

hello Matt and JD on this route will the harlem line have rush hour in the morning and afternoon with more trains than in LIRR?

6. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

Oh snap, if this is for TSW2, then perhaps it could be part of the Preservation update that is coming to LIRR. But if it is for TS20XX, then perhaps we may see an LIRR route coming soon

• Like Like x 3
  7. SubwayRailfanner

SubwayRailfanner Well-Known Member

1) Are LIRR M7/M3 going to get upgrades from the M7A/M3A?

2) Will AI Trains honk their horns when approaching a station?

3) Are we going to be able to use Liveries in timetable unlike the LIRR dlc?

4) If so will the game apply our custom livery on the full train instead of random cars having the livery just like in real life?

5) Will stations have announcements just like London Commuter and other DLC?

6) Why only to North White Plains ?

• Like Like x 2
  8. taylormade#6721

taylormade#6721 Well-Known Member

What made you choose to go to North White Plains and not extend to Southeast?

• Like Like x 3
  9. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The decision only to go to North White Plains is a bit odd, I’m going to ask why, but then I know what will be said…

We didn’t have time to go any further. It’s a shame we always have to settle for mediocre - when we could have great!

EDIT: I don’t like being a negative Nelly, but there has been little reason to be a positive Pauline this past year.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  10. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

Lot's of people seem to know this line, like always I have not driven this line. From what I read I'm expecting this to be the American version of London Commuter. I'm expecting lot's of trains but I'm also expecting rush hour passengers. What have you done to make sure not to have a repeat of the London Commuter debacle which has lots of trains but still no rush hour passengers?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lords_75

Lords_75 Member

Will there be working destination screens on the M7 like every other modern route you guys have recently made?

Will the Leslie r2sm be unrestricted like IRL?

Will AI blow the horn coming into stations per MNRR protocol?

Also I doubt this but will there be announcements as well?

What possible DLCs are being thought of?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Lords_75

Lords_75 Member

There are no crossings between Grand Central Terminal and North White Plains. The only crossing one could maybe go through is the Virginia Road Crossing which is north of the North White Plains Yard.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Louie

Louie Well-Known Member

Are you guys gonna update the LIRR as well?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lords_75

Lords_75 Member

Every single platform in Grand Central Terminal is Metro-North property...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Louis-MTA NYCTA

Louis-MTA NYCTA Well-Known Member

This route I have rode on many times, even operated it with my buddies too.
    The route is mostly 4 or quad tracks, there is a 3rd track section that is quite long and the double track section at White Plains. So frequencies of the route with multiple trains should be relatively good given the flexibility and advantages of having 4 tracks and 3 tracks.
    I am expecting something similar to London Commuter with lots of trains operating...

Trains during peak Rush Hour Express services use 3 tracks instead of 2.
    Peak Rush is: 6:30-9:00AM in the mornings, and 4:30-8:00PM in the evenings. During these times (roughly) 1 to 2 hours are used with trains using 3 of 4 tracks in the Peak direction.

- If AM Peak: 3 of 4 tracks from Wakefield to Grand Central are used to bring people from Upstate down to the economic center of Manhattan.
    - If PM Peak: 3 of 4 tracks from Grand Central to Wakefield are used to bring people to Upstate from the economic center of Manhattan
    Same applies for the 3rd track or triple track section, but the 3rd center track is used only for express in peak direction, while express in the other direction uses a Skip-Stop, or bypass service sometimes.

Given the context of these intricate service operations which is also used on the LIRR:
    - Will these intricate service operations be replicated accurately in the route? If so how will the AI work with priority issues and how to know where and what track to operate on, both On-Peak and Off-Peak Rush Hour?
    - How will the 3rd track be used?
    - Will there be a few scenarios during these peak rush hour express or local services where we can have 3 trains racing and running alongside each other on 3 tracks as it happens in real life?
    - The use of 3 of 4 tracks is also kind of random. Some trains will use the outside tracks and 1 middle track, while some might use the middle tracks primarily. Some might even use the wrong primarily direction track if it is dire. Some will use the uptown and downtown local tracks. It all depends on where trains are and how they are operating. So will these be implemented in the route?

• Like Like x 1
  16. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Only in the sense that time = money, ergo "We didn't have the money to go any further." Routes have to be produced within a budget, premised on a set retail price. You aren't going to get a Mercedes for a Ford price. Now, maybe in future DTG will offer a Mercedes option, priced accordingly; but that isn't the present reality.

• Like Like x 1
  17. solicitr

AI trains never blow horns; it's not part of their programming.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Louie

Louie Well-Known Member

Yeah but I’m sure they can Do it… Believe it or not I have faith in dovetail which is probably a mistake but who cares

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Well it's their software, they could do it. The trains already know how far away they are from their stopping destination, after all they start deccelerating beforehand. They could easily program them to blown horn at X meters before a station stop. Same could be done with headlights so they actually dim them when approaching.

At least in theory. Considering we still have plenty of AI trains driving with wrong headlight settings (reds at front, white at back), I wouldn't bet on AI trains blowing their horn. They could really make some improvements in this regard. Sure, 100% accurate physics calculations are not needed for AI trains, but they could at least drive with correct lights on.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Louis-MTA NYCTA

Actually they do. In Northern-Trans Pennine, the Class 40 and some other freight trains do blow their horns in High-Low fashion. They do this when their service begins. I am sure this can be something that can be implemented, not sure if it will. It's been done before.
    Check it out.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

When they start moving

• Like Like x 2
  22. Louie

Louie Well-Known Member

Add the ability for AI‘s to use their horn while pulling into a Station for Metro-North

• Like Like x 1
  23. Scotrail156467

Scotrail156467 Well-Known Member

How many timetable services

24. SubwayRailfanner

260 I believe

25. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Confirmed

• Like Like x 1
  26. solicitr

260 is just over 10 per hour; that isn't a lot.

27. Anthony Pecoraro

It says more than 260 services.

28. tallboy7648

Well it's not is if the Harlem line is the busiest line in the world. If people are expecting london commuter levels of busyness then they are setting themselves up for a bit of a disappointment. The entire railroad is busy especially during peak times, but it's not on the levels of London Commuter. Considering that one line is really represented on this route, then the level of busyness won't be on the same levels as London Commuter The closest you would find in terms of a busy railroad in the U.S would be the MTA Long Island Railroad since that is the busiest railroad in all of North America. Jamaica station is a extremely busy station. But sadly dtg didn't do a good job when trying to represent the MTA Long Island Railroad in tsw2.

• Like Like x 2
  29. Louie

Louie Well-Known Member

Check out some of my suggestions for Metro-North guy’s you might like it

30. carter

carter Active Member

What ai train to go down there, like is it passenger or is it just depot because this is kind of important.

31. Louie

Louie Well-Known Member

I just wanna say dovetail you guys did a great job with Metro North video keep the good work up

32. mlouie100

mlouie100 Well-Known Member

I'm interested in buying this route and is the Rush Hour passenger system being added to this route.

33. SubwayRailfanner

They said it was supposed to be in but for some reason it looked like it wasn't added in time before the preview stream.

• Like Like x 1
  34. trainsimfan94

trainsimfan94 Member

were the question in this thread answered???

35. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

We covered as many as we could (we do have another stream next week, so please feel free to add more here and we'll collect them in advance!)

You can watch last night's stream here.

• Like Like x 1
  36. speedy2972

speedy2972 Active Member

Could we have a look at the journey mode please, there was no mention whatsoever of it on the stream.

37. CowBoyWolf

Already been shown

38. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Thank you JD for last night’s stream which encouraged me to pre-order.

Shame that the passenger concourse of GCT is not available in the game but understand that it would have been an enormous and incredible effort to get it right.

Could I ask please? How accurate is the scenery to real life? I know DTG really put a great effort into achieving this, but how does this route compare to others?

39. F-Block

F-Block Well-Known Member

With the too short platforms used in regular service, how will scenario planner work?

40. tallboy7648

Why did DTG model the pis inaccurately on this route considering that the pis on Boston Sprinter was modeled incorrectly due to "lack of reference" but when there is reference and you create a whole thread to get images of the pis for routes, you don't bother to implement them. So why?

It just seems like hypocrisy and pure laziness

41. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

I hope another lirr route is coming?

• Like Like x 1
  42. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I didn’t dislike what I saw and heard from the Harlem Line stream route. The route looks very nice and the trains sound good too. I will want to watch next weeks stream though before I commit to buy.

43. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

It has been confirmed that those models are not for TSW2 and aren't even official. They are just someones own project.

But I wouldn't mind an actually good LIRR for TSW2, that's for sure. Would be good to have one of the longer branches in full.

• Like Like x 1
  44. CowBoyWolf

45. Louie

Louie Well-Known Member

You guys did a great job yesterday

46. Louis-MTA NYCTA

The stream was great yes.
    I love the new Metro North M7A sounds. From 0mph to 20mph, the sounds are much better and much improved. But it sounds a bit weird after the train hits 20mph. Maybe it's just me being a bit picky, but it really does sound a bit off. The cut-off for the propulsion also sounds a bit off.
    I mean the humming sound as the train speeds up/slows down after 20mph, it sounds weird and makes it sound like the train is humming but getting higher in pitch. It sounded like a whistle at times in the stream.

But I see what they were going for, I think with some minor tweaks and adjustments it can sound a little more natural.

I took note of the propulsion still not sounding when the train slows to stop or begin to move, some trains don't make sounds when stopping during the stream (like on LIRR). I hope that is fixed along with minor sound improvements and passenger density in the route too. That was a major complaint about the LIRR as the M7 sounds were (and still are) very broken and some cars don't even have propulsion sounds. I should expect to see and hear all cars with the propulsion when leaving and stopping at stations. And not the adverse, cutting out of sounds.

As for the M3A, lots improved again, especially the door closing and opening and the bell sounds.
    But my issue is the motor sounds when accelerating and slowing down. It sounded too quiet (even Matt took note of it) in the stream and it sounded a bit like the one used in the LIRR M3. Although I did post a reference video to possibly help, along with others earlier. Highlighting the new motor sounds on the M3A and how they should closely or ideally sound. I feel like the M3A motor sounds could use some minor work but it sounds a lot better for sure than the LIRR M3.

I also hope this time the M3A does not do some weird sound cut out when you walk from the end of one car to the next outside and hear the AC sounds cut out and in.

But nonetheless it is a relatively big improvement from LIRR and I appreciate it. Those were some of the "goofs" I noticed while watching the stream.

Thank you DTG for finally adding working PIS on the Red LED signs on the M7A.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
  47. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Can we use the balloon loops in Grand Central Terminal?

• Like Like x 1
  48. Anthony Pecoraro

The M3A motors actually seem too loud. They aren't very loud in real life.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  49. SubwayRailfanner

Matt did have the windows on the train open

50. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

The thing that they need to improve is the track noise, i still barely can not hear the train going over tracks, junctions, or when the throttle is at full power. Usually, when the train is running on the track, you can still hear the engine propulsion but on top of that the train running across the track, where the clickly clack, thunk, thunk, sound, basically the train track flange sound like some people call it, but it wasn't present. I am just so surprised that the audio team forgot this one aspect that makes the train come more alive which is the realistic train track flange sound.

The train track sound is the biggest flaw that would make the train and route come to life, but this has been the biggest problem for the company as a whole to miss this one aspect that makes the train come to life, i mean how could they forget this biggest component when it comes to train. You hear train every single day going over the track, junction, switch, and across the bridge, but you can't produce it in-game. This really got to change, This is also the biggest immersion sound that either makes the people want to buy the route or not.

Please Matt and the team, make more upcoming routes and train with more realistic track sound going forward. This should be the new norm already since you have already come so far in terms of technology and how far the company has come as a whole to TSW 2.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1