PlayStation Has The Performance Got Worse With The Later Ur Engine?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Samo1, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

I’m disappointed with performance and had hoped the later version of the Unreal engine would have improved frame rates, the stuttering frame rate and the inexcusable freezes really are not acceptable, ECW is the best route by far although not perfect and uses the older 4.15 UR engine, I’m thinking the coders are struggling to get the most out of the engine or some assets need to be toned down to make the game more smooth, playable and enjoyable, I would hate to end my journey with DTG because the project is sound enough but the execution and bugs make my journey with the game hard to swallow in it’s present form, the experience built up over the years does not translate to a better product, it’s always more of the same but never any wow factor, It’s functional at best but always leaves a lot to be desired. I know this is a critical post and will divide opinions but as a paying customer I’m entitled to post this frank honest post of my thoughts

DTG are a company that frustrate many but we all want them to up their game, it really is time to get their A game sorted out in my opinion because they release far too much stuff that they know leaves a lot to be desired and think patching it or not!!! at a later date is acceptable and it’s not, Matt, Sam and co can you really say hand on heart you put out a polished product? you know it’s functional but certainly never polished and hearing the time constraint argument is not satisfactory it’s more of an excuse

• Like Like x 3
  2. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I love Train Sim World, but the number of issues, which continue to grow with each release is so frustrating. The company stresses that the game is tested before release, but when so many issues are identified almost immediately, it does make you question if this is true.

We are seeing too many:
    1. Texture glitches.
    2. Sound quality issues / missing sounds / sounds not loud enough.
    3. UI issues (missing medals for SKA, HUD not working as intended).
    4. Lighting issues.
    5. Timetable bugs where a service can’t be completed.
    6. Freezes / stuttering.
    I’ve submitted so many issues on the forums, but I haven’t reported anywhere near close to the true number reported by the community.

Most frustrating of all is that problems are being introduced where problems didn’t exist before and patches meant to fix things aren’t fixing things and bringing new problems. At this rate, everything in the game will be broken to some extent.

I don’t necessarily buy in to the position that it worked in the office and then it stopped working on release. If that was the case, back in the good old days when games were on cartridges or CD, nothing would have worked.

I personally believe that thanks to today’s constant update approach, bugs are being allowed out when the company is fully aware they are there. I might be being too harsh and too critical here, but I really don’t see any other reason that so many issues are reaching the end user.

I think DTG needs to take an urgent and very serious look at this as only a quick read of the forums, where you can argue the most keen, enthusiastic fans hang out, can see how many issues there are and that loyal customers are becoming increasingly despondent.

Once again, I love Train Sim World, it’s the only game I’ve played in months and that is why I think DTG needs to get to grips with the growing number of issues. If people start abandoning the game, it might very well not exist at some point in the future and that would be sad.

• Like Like x 9
  3. mshor31293

mshor31293 Active Member

It's very frustrating , as a concept the game is great I still think TSW2 is a move in the right direction but it's a case of one step forward and three steps back the bugs are killing this game and it's riddled with them at the moment.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

Yes. I have notices considerable glitches especially for the preserved content.
    But hopefully these will be ironed out as time goes by.

• Like Like x 1
  5. breblimator

breblimator Guest

This game got me used to many things, but the behavior of the sound, especially in preserved content, is starting to irritate me.

• Like Like x 3
  6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It’s hard to tell at the moment whether it’s worse or better or just the same, for the following reasons (from a PS4 perspective).

The new routes all have elements that weren’t there in TSW2020. Köln-Aachen has the high speed, Sand Patch Grade has the longer trains and Bakerloo has the tunnels and the fact that no trains can leave the map through portals. The preserved collection has all gone through a conversion process but probably isn’t optimised properly for the new engine yet. So there isn’t anything to properly compare like for like yet with TSW2020 performance wise.

With the new routes, a lot more has been squeezed in and that is probably eating into any performance benefits. The new features may be worth a little hit in performance, who knows? It’s also the first version of the new game engine (a different version of Unreal with lots of modification and plugins) which probably isn’t really optimised that well yet and in some cases isn’t stable.

The later Unreal may have some better things in it that Dovetail haven’t quite got the full potential out of yet and there is all the other stuff that isn’t Unreal that probably also needs some tweaking to work well with it. There’s also the higher expectation the players may have had that is leading some to see it as worse just because it isn’t a great deal better. I simply can’t tell yet.

At the moment in these early days of TSW2 there are bugs. So many bugs. New bugs, old bugs, preserved bugs and new preserved bugs (that’s a thing). There’s an awful lot to be ironed out, optimisation and bugs, before I can start to properly compare the two. If too many bugs stick around for too long, I will be very disappointed, I’d like both old and new bugs fixing. I like the new content though, that’s really good.

• Like Like x 7
  7. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

TSW2 (like TSW 2020) feels like a rushed project to get it out the door and bring in the cash, from a company perspective I understand, from a consumer perspective, that’s me and my money I think it’s a lousy way to treat your loyal customers, without us there is no DTG

• Like Like x 6