Have Dtg Got Themselves Into A ‘out Of Control’ Situation?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Mar 12, 2021.

1. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I don't know about other sims, but in this one you can drive to get medals, or just drive and not give a hoot whether you get a gold or not. It's not like you need gold medals or some form of currency to unlock the next train, is it?
    And the collectibles are only really there if you really bother. I tend to get the ones on the platforms so you don't get white squares randomly but only then when doing stopper services where I can jump out of the cab

• Like Like x 4
  2. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

No hence why a option to either disable it or have those things set to a different game mode wouldn't be a bad idea. I personally think action points and medals are pointless and also unrealistic especially if they can't be used for anything. Racing games have the option to have casual modes in which you have things like traction control, anti lock breaks, a racing line and f1 2020 even has a casual mode in which it will steer the car. If you don't want those options, you can turn them off to get a more sim like experience so I see no reason why tsw2 can't have that option

3. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

The point is that they are already effectively turned off now. If they were turned on you would *need* to collect them to progress.

4. ARuscoe

If you want the train to drive itself and you just enjoy the ride there IS a mode for you... passenger mode. And you can turn off almost all the safety systems on the trains too if you know which fuses to trip.

5. Jo_Kim

Jo_Kim Well-Known Member

All trains even spawn with the safety systems isolated. So if you want to drive a more realistic style you also need to set up the cab realistically.
    I can't see why we would need two separate modes in TSW. You can turn specific parts of the HUD off if you don't want them.

• Like Like x 2
  6. tallboy7648

I wasn't referring to passenger mode

7. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I don't think it's necessary to have two modes. I have managed to ignore things like achievement points, medals, collectables, donkeys, train painting and other irrelevant distractions. Why they're in the game remains a mystery to me, but they don't bother me unduly. I'd like some serious features like a consist editor and a better scenario planner instead.

• Like Like x 5
  8. tallboy7648

Things like action points is something I can't turn off without disabling most of the hud which shows the next stop, load and unload and pretty much most of the hud would be disabled. An option in my opinion should be there to disable medals and action points when doing a service. I don't want to have to turn off the hud just to not see the action points

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  9. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Try CTRL + 6.

Cheers

• Like Like x 3
  10. tallboy7648

I don't play with a keyboard and most players don't either

11. Jo_Kim

Jo_Kim Well-Known Member

Ever tried Ctrl + 6?

12. tallboy7648

I don't play with a keyboard. I play with a controller as most console players do hence why I'm asking for a option to get rid of the action points display without having to bascially turn off the hud

13. Jo_Kim

Jo_Kim Well-Known Member

So then you would only need the options to turn parts of the HUD off in the settings menu and not a new game mode...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Plug in a keyboard, press CTRL + 6, then unplug the keyboard and never use it again.

Cheers

15. tallboy7648

I don't have a keyboard

16. tallboy7648

And also get rid of action points all together in a more sim type game mode since to me and some others it's pretty pointless

17. zawal.belili

zawal.belili Guest

I want an option to remove the wheels from the trains.
    I want to feel like I'm driving an overboard !!!
    DTG do it now.

Good god let's stay serious a bit, there are requests that do not even exist if we read the manual, half of the things requested are in ...

18. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Buy a keyboard. Once you play TSW with a keyboard added and all the extra options and instant functionality it gives, you will wonder how you got by without one. You don’t have to control the train with the keyboard but there are so many things you can do.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Best thing I ever did with TSW is plug in my old USB keyboard to my PS4/PS5.
    Having 2 tone horns in exterior view is great, plus greater control of the cameras, zooming quite far ahead to capture a great image and more range than the standard cameras (as seen on the live streams).
    I don't drive with the keyboard, I use the controller but for horn etc I use the keyboard.
    I also drive in TS20xx with the controller as I find it easier.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  20. zawal.belili

zawal.belili Guest

I'm on PC and that's exactly what I'm doing.
    The xbox controler is really cool for driving but the keyboard is essential to have all the emotions of the game

• Like Like x 2
  21. Costpap

Costpap Member

Keyboard support for TSW2 in consoles is a godsend, if I'm being honest. It makes everything a lot easier. If you don't want to have to walk between cabs to set them up properly, especially in SPG or OSD where you have to properly configure every locomotive if you want them providing power. Not only that, but it also helps in making your liveries more precise in the livery editor.

22. tallboy7648

It must be cool and I may get one cause why not to be honest even though it probably won't be used very much. But some of these things like disabling the action points display from the hud (I rather have a option to have medals and action points completely disabled since they are pointless in my opinion) should be a option from the settings menu as standard. It shouldn't be required to buy a keyboard just to disable a portion of the hud sorta like how you needed a keyboard to disable motion blur until dtg finally gave an option from the settings menu to turn it off. It also doesn't sound so difficult to give an option to get rid of action points from the hud in the first place

• Like Like x 1
  23. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I basically drive the trains with Raildriver when I can, but, even with that controller, a keyboard is essential. Some things can only be done on a keyboard and mouse combo. There are some very inexpensive keyboards and mice and that's all you need.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  24. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

1. You don't understand defamation law.

2. "nothing more than personal revenge" while he labours though many negative thoughts, he does say positive things about their staff and products. Therefore there is balance, we all have the right to disagree or be offended.

3. I think you need to step back and understand what a "customer" is. DTG need to make money and essentially tempt the public to part with as much of their money as possible. It pays the bills, we get a product we enjoy, hopefully. DTG, like any other company, cares firstly about the bottom line. Then image/status. Then improving what they can do to make even more money so that the top bods can buy more stuff to make them happy and pay better salaries to obtain and retain the best staff. Personal pride, interest in the job, job satisfaction, good working environment, legal compliance, health & safety.......... Then comes customer service, even with the friendliest of smiles it is merely brand damage limitation. If you need a cuddle, ask a friend, that's what real caring is.

• Like Like x 6
  25. tallboy7648

Some people I guess don't like to hear constructive criticism

26. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I think in the world of online products and services customer service is part of the product offered. I would disagree that it is the lowest of objectives, these days many businesses who offer very similar services and products even compete on customer service as the differentiator. To view it in the negative way that they don't really care and its just limiting damage to the brand is a bit old fashioned now and if you operate that way you may become obsolete too.

27. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

That's sort of the problem though, where does one draw the line between constructive criticism and negativity? It doesn't sound like it should be a hard thing to think about, but the lines are often blurred and murky. It's hard to deny that there isn't at least some sense of passive aggressiveness in these forums, and I'd say that largely stems from the fact that people are quite passionate about TSW. There are soo many things to talk about with this game, and it gets to the point that the door becomes wide open for long arguments and personal opinions.
    The problem isn't that people don't like to hear constructive criticism. The problem is that the constructive criticism is often mixed together with the negativity. Even this is further influenced to a certain degree by all the lack of information and misconceptions that float around in these forums and others like it. Constructive feedback is certainly needed, but it's become difficult to discern what is helpful, and what is being needlessly echoed just for the hell of it.

I do want to tie this back to the original topic of this thread, however. To a certain extent, I do genuinely believe the video was influenced by a particular grudge. I've been watching SimUK's videos for a while prior to this, and I do think they're a good watch. However I do have to disagree with some of the views that were shared.
    One of the biggest things that stood out to me is that...well...SimUK has mentioned that he hasn't been actively following TSW for over a year. The thing is...it was around this same time frame where the development and the release of TSW2 has brought a notable change in transparency and communication. That isn't something to gloss over, and as a paying customer I certainly felt that there was a change in attitude from that point onwards. There's been a whole load of features that's been added between now and then. A whole load of bug fixes.
    Watching that video over again, he seems to imply this notion that while the developers are doing a fantastic job, there may be some hitch...some mismanagement with priorities within the company. While I did agree with this previously (and I still do to a minor extent), the last year has shown that this might not be the case exactly. This 'profit over quality' notion is easy to believe, but honestly? Software development is one hell of a business where things are hardly as straightforward as we consumers think it is. We don't get to see what happens behind the scenes, and while we probably won't ever get that level of transparency, I do sincerely encourage for DTG to continue doing these things like the roadmap and the preview streams because they've been a massive help. Especially with Matt where he goes in depth to explain certain aspects and systems. I love those technical explanations, and I certainly believe it helps to clear up some of the skepticism.

Not everything is all perfect and peachy, and that's why we are where we are today, with threads like these. There is still plenty of room for improvement, and there is no denying that. However this game is still evolving. It's not exactly fair to base ones notions on what effectively might be old news.
    I welcome those who haven't been following TSW's development for a few years to come back, and see what's been going on. I feel as though there's a different atmosphere, a different attitude taken with the game. With these changes, I sure as hell feel as though our voices are being heard more than before and I would like for this to continue as we gear up for another core update, and the arrival of steam trains.

At the end of the day, I do believe the game is heading in the right direction, thanks in part to legitimate feedback and various changes and improvements. Let's make sure things stay this way. :)

• Like Like x 11
  28. tallboy7648

I do agree that dtg are making some improvements but they have been taking some steps backwards in my opinion. The 70s pack in which it seemed they themselves didn't know who it was marketed to and looking at the steam reviews and here has mostly gotten negative reviews. The mess that was preserved collection in which routes have yet to get fixes 6-7 months after release with a clear "Release It Now, Fix It Later" policy, the release of HMA on last gen consoles with framerate problems and the lack of care of the HS1 section of SEHS and sound of both trains. The 395 sounds like a Dostos which is quite odd and the 375s sounds were a copy paste of the 377s sounds which many in the community have pointed out are innacurate as well as the oversized pis on the 375 and 377

29. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

Yeah but was this whole reply meant to be constructive criticism? How does this tie in with the topic other than being a whole list of random issues?
    This sort of proves my point in that much of what goes on in these forums stems from misconceptions and just complaining for the sake of complaining.

Either way, that whole deal with the Diesel Legends pack was a bit overblown. I didn't buy it, I wasn't interested in it, nor do I have much intention to buy it in the future, but if it made at least a few people happy and if it didn't impede development time, then I see no harm done. Things could have been handled better, sure, but nothing is being lost here. Above all, I do hope that served as a learning experience for them.

That was a mess for sure, but I would have been incredibly disappointed if we were still waiting on those routes to be ported over.
    One of the cool things about TSW is that I buy what routes I want, and that means I get to build up a collection. Much like an irl physical collection, I would want to have them transported together asap, rather than spending months not knowing it's whereabouts.
    As long as it gets its fixes and even some new improvements, that's perfectly fine with me.
    The preserved collection was a lot of work, but I think they made the right choice given the circumstances. Like previously, I hope this served as a learning experience.

These are some annoyances, but as far as I'm aware, the performance issue is still something that's being tackled. As for the PIS on the Electrostars, I have no idea why people say that they're too big. The size looks about right to me, the real innacuracy is in the way it scrolls, as well as the font needing to be slightly more slanted. These along with the other things are just minor Quality-of-Life issues, as they don't impact gameplay at all.
    It's not to excuse them, but these aren't things that need to be reiterated, especially when this isn't a thread that talks about specific bugs/issues. It's just piling on top of other criticism when it serves no point other than to say "Hey! Look at all the other things that they got wrong!"
    Again, one has to wonder what's constructive criticism, and what's negativity?
    Those issues that were brought up deserves their own threads, not to clog up others.

• Like Like x 8
  30. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

These options are also available in the settings menu. It may look a bit complicated, but these work. A detailed explanation is in the TSW@ Starters Guide. The Ctrl buttons are just used to change them during gameplay.

Download the TSW2 Starters Guide here: https://www.hollandhiking.nl/trainsimulator

31. ARuscoe

Some people confuse "non-destructive criticism" with "what do I need to say to get my point resolved", ie constructive to them is getting what they want

• Like Like x 3
  32. roysto25

roysto25 Well-Known Member

Would just like to point out that Adam has said that the person moved to the Core team is being replaced, the position has not been cut.

And to another poster - enough with the trolling yma o hyd - your mind was made up in January and you are still here in the forum?