Hello From Ireland - Just Outside Dublin

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by eiamw, Jan 11, 2019.

1. eiamw

eiamw New Member

Hi all,

I've just got TS2019 and will probably have lots of questions. My first two are:

1 - I've done the Academy and all of the lessons shown, for the Class 170 DMU, but when I go to drive, using the Drive button, this train does not appear in the list of available trains. How do I select the Class 170 DMU?

2 - When you clock on the Academy button there is a second tab called Tutorial, but nothing appears in it, even if you select a loco from the first tab.

Thanks for any help offered.

Tony

2. Gordon7000

Gordon7000 Active Member

Hi Tony,

Welcome to the forum!

The Class 170 in the Academy can't be driven outside the Academy. If you want to drive a Class 170 Turbostar in the main programme, you'll need to download one from Steam - such as this one:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/...DMU_AddOn/?snr=1_16_16_&curator_clanid=958135

Unfortunately, I don't think this one comes with any Scenarios - but you will probably find 170 Scenarios in the Steam Workshop. However, if you're going to use Scenarios, you'll need a suitable route to drive it on - like the Edinburgh to Glasgow route.

I've just noticed that the Edinburgh to Glasgow route includes a Class 170 in the package - so you don't need to buy it separately. This is the link:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/65216/Train_Simulator_EdinburghGlasgow_Route_AddOn/

I checked the Tutorial tab and successfully loaded a Class 158 with all the instructions. Try loading this or a different train from this tab. Make your selection from the menu list on the right hand side.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  3. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Tutorials seem to be just another type of scenario. Some DLCs include them, some don't. I didn't have any until recently. WCML(Shap), which I bought after Christmas, added a couple more.

4. eiamw

eiamw New Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm coming from around 18 years background in MS flight simulators - FSX for about 10 of those, so I need to get my head around the fact that add-ons, or DLC as they are called in Steam, work quite a bit differently. So for example if I buy a Route then do I assume that Trains and/or Scenarios for that Route may have to be purchased separately, or would I automatically get some?

I any case I'm starting out on a big learning curve so at the moment I have around 7 different Routes, as I happened to have got both TSW and TS-2019 within a week of each other, both a present from my wife. When she learned I had what looked like serious issues with TSW she got me TS-2019 as a substitute. As I have since solved the issue myself (as Tech Support couldn't) I have both sims working. Once I get over the learning I'll probably look at DLCs, especially steam powered locos in Austria and Germany.
    Thanks again,
    Tony

5. Gordon7000

Gordon7000 Active Member

When you buy a route, some related loco(s) / trains, will be included. The included assets will be listed on the Steam page for that route. You will also receive some Scenarios for that route. At a later stage, you can add more locos / trains to that route. Just ensure that you've got all the necessary assets for any add-ons that you want to buy. These are listed on Steam's loco or train add-on download pages. (DLC)

There's a few Steam powered locos available for Austria and Germany - but most of the add-ons for those countries are either electric or diesel powered.

This is an example of a German steam train add-on:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/376969/Train_Simulator_DB_BR_18_Steam_Loco_AddOn/

But you'll need the corresponding route for it.

Watch out for special deals in the Steam sales, and occasionally in sales at the DTG Store and Just Trains, etc.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  6. Gordon7000

Gordon7000 Active Member

Tony, it might be better if you could ask future questions in one of the other sub forums - such as 'General Discussions.' This is primarily an Introduction sub forum. You'll probably receive more responses under 'General Discussions'.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  7. eiamw

eiamw New Member

Thanks Gordon.

• Like Like x 1