Hello My Fellow Railfans!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by xplaur, Apr 27, 2020.

1. xplaur

xplaur New Member

I was about 4 years old when I saw a train for the firs time in my life and it was love at first sight. Then, I knew that when I will grown up, I will drive trains. Fast forward a little bit and at the age of 24 I had in my hands, my locomotive engineer diploma, which was making me the youngest, by far, qualified locomotive engineer in my area. 11 years later, I decide to move to a different country and, luckily, I am working again for railroad.
    Now, about games and simulators, I start, like most of us, with MSTS, I have continued with some Trainz, but once the RailSim entered the game, there was no going back for me.
    I haven't played too much TS lately, but I am reconsidering that, due to a severe back problem which don't allow me to continue as conductor or locomotive engineer,. but I love driving trains and I want to continue doing so, even only virtually.
    Before I start to invest, my dilemma is TS or TSW? PC or PS4?

Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

Hi there! Welcome to the forums! To answer your question: TS is a PC exclusive, while TSW is available for PC, PS4, and Xbox. TS is a bit older, and has alot more content but the graphics aren't as good and controls are much more simple. It's better if you just want to jump right in and drive on a long route. TSW has more features to add to immersion, and better graphics, but the routes aren't as long and there's less of them.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  3. xplaur

xplaur New Member

I am tempted to give TSW a try! Now, the question is PC (i5, 16GbDDR3, RX480 4Gb) or PS4 (first gen, not the Pro)? For convenience I am tempted to go with the console, but the computer have more flexibility!

4. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

I'm not really up on the spec's of various GPUs but I think your system would make a decent job of running TSW. It should cope with TS quite nicely. It seems unlikely that the console version (of TSW) will ever get an editor. Only you will know how much you'd miss that.

Have you thought of running both programs? TS is old, a bit buggy (unlike TSW which is new and a bit buggy- miaow), and occasionally frustrating but there's a lot of good content for it and when it works, which is most of the time, it's great and it can be quite cheap. Someone has started a thread with a link to a site selling several editions of TS most for less than £7 (I've seen TS2016 going for less than a pound before now) and an older version might have a bundle of routes that you would find more interesting than TS2020. Assuming they install through Steam the core program would be updated to the latest version as a matter of course.

5. MTA R32 Fan

MTA R32 Fan New Member

I honestly think that playing with the keyboard and mouse will make things a little easier for you.

6. altenburger

altenburger New Member

FolioHD essays.agency

Hi there, I'm a student from Phoenix and studying Railroad Engineering at Gateway Community College. Just installed TS2020 on my computer and when I tried to launch it, the antivirus blocked access. So I added it to Ignore List - the game launched, but a few seconds later it crashed.

7. altenburger

altenburger New Member

I tried to reinstall it and disabled the antivirus - nothing helped. What can be the issue?