Help For A Noob, S&d Battered And Bruised, Wheelslip Issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pieman6930, Feb 13, 2021.

1. pieman6930

pieman6930 New Member

Hi, I'm rather new to the game ( 6 hours total) and i'm having a problem that i'm hoping somebody can help me with. The crux of the problem is when trying to do the Battered and Bruised scenario on the Somerset and Dorset DLC, i get that it is set after a storm and that the rails are wet thus there is less traction, however the moment i hit the gradient, once the line becomes single track, i get a wheelslip warning, the wheels will then 'lock up' and are no longer slipping but simply refusing to move, applying breaks at any point does nothing and eventually I slide backwards till flat ground. I'm already running with sand and have got up to about 30mph before i 'hit' the grade, I've tried all the tricks i know. 'Pumping' the regulator does nothing, it doesn't seem to matter what the cut-off is set too sand has no impact. A few times when replaying the scenario the game loads and the wheelslip warning is already on despite not having touched the controls yet and the engine being stationary, when this happens there is nothing i can do that gets any form of motion from the loco. I've removed and re-downloaded the DLC and nothing changes.

I've tried to include as much detail as possible, i'm sure there is something obvious i am missing, any help anyone can give me would be much appreciated. (Sorry i'm not sure what tags to use, i only joined the forum about 5 mins ago and don't know my way around yet.)

2. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Hi pieman... (not from Wigan are you???:cool:)...

I was reading your post with interest, however when I realised that you're driving a kettle I stopped reading...

Kettles aren't my thing unfortunately... Don't be disheartened about the lack of responses at the mo... I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable "kettle boffins" will be along soon to take up your post & offer some sound advice...

Good luck...

Eric

3. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

What kind of loco is it?

I’ll give it a try later in the afternoon .

4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The route is 9 years old and it is possible the scenario has been like this since day 1

5. pieman6930

pieman6930 New Member

Its a 7F, the loco come with the DLC I believe.

6. pieman6930

pieman6930 New Member

It's a possibility, as I said I'm rather new to this, but i've asked around the few people i know that have the route and they haven't had this problem.

7. inversnecky

It's only about the second or third time I've tried my hand at a steam loco - description says it's "easy", but I'd say it's quite hard.

The first time I tried, I encountered the wheelslip near the viaduct, and noticed that even though the reverser and regulator were put off, and breaks on full, the wheels were turning faster and faster backwards, as thought it was being driven backwards, rather than being locked, and I ended up all the way back at the turntable. A scripting error there?

The next time, I think, I'll forget about the speed limit, and built up a head of steam (literally and not metaphorically, for once!), and I managed to put through the wheelslip, with sanding and reverser on about 12-15%. Ok, I forced through, but if you stick to the speed limits, it's likely not going to happen.

I managed to pick up the carriages, stop at the first station, then at the second one, I ran out of water. I guess I am not skilled enough a steam driver to have managed the water properly, or should have filled up on route.

A very tricky scenario though - you're on gradients almost the entire time, and I was never really able to build up much speed at all.

8. pieman6930

pieman6930 New Member

I've had a go at ignoring the speed limits too I've found I get about an extra 500yards up the hill but that leads to me gaining so much speed on the inevitable way down that the only way I stop is by crashing into the rear wall of the shed, the tender flying up and over the cab to come to rest somewhere in the rafters. Its rather fun to watch but also rather annoying.

9. inversnecky

It’s hard to say, as we all have different settings. Have you kept the reverser low?

Perhaps try the same loco on a QD, see how it performs and practice driving it?

10. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Whatever you are driving you go over a hill and start descending you put the brakes on

11. pieman6930

pieman6930 New Member

iv'e never gotten over the hill, i just end up coming back down the same side i've just climbed.

12. pieman6930

pieman6930 New Member

The loco is fine on any other route, i can run it round the fife circle to no end, its just on this scenario on this route i get problems.

13. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The rule about applying the brakes when going over a hill applies to all routes - not just this one.
    The Gradients on the Fife Circle are a lot easier than those on this route
    If it is not a Career Scenario change the Weather so it is not raining

14. samsonbo

samsonbo Member

Scenario works fine......I just reran for you and completed this scenario.....Accelerated pretty steadily up the grade to 57 mph...Regulator around 60-70 (NOT 100) and reverser about 30%...brakes set to Running (5-7%).....try this

15. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Ironically a YouTuber called NerdCubed - who is even more of a noob than the OP and was only playing TS for a laugh - did it first try with no knowledge of how to drive a train.

I feel offended that he did better in that scenario than I did.