High Dynamic Range Rendering To Solve Headlight Brightness And Poor Night Scenes

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by MrKicker, Apr 7, 2021.

1. MrKicker

MrKicker New Member

NOTE: This thread does not pertain to HDR monitors, but could possibly open the doors for future compatibility.

What

To massively oversimplify, High Dynamic Range Rendering (AKA, HDR) is the practice of calculating game lighting in a higher brightness range than what can be displayed on a normal screen, Tone Mapping is then used to transition this high range image into one that can be displayed on a normal monitor. They accomplish this by constantly adjusting the outputted brightness range similarly to how a human eye adjusts to moving between dim and bright situations.

Why

The general reason why modern games use HDR is to allow the game to have both really bright and really dark scenes while preserving detail in both. I believe this is the key to fixing the headlight brightness issue that you guys are tackling. In addition, I believe that it will make night scenes and tunnels much better.

How

The specifics of TSW2's modified engine are unknown to me, but I do know that UE4 supports HDR out of the box, if that functionality is still available to you then I believe it could be implemented on a route by route basis after relighting said route. However, if HDR is unavailable in your current version of the engine I still believe that this feature would be worth a look by your engine devs to see if a custom implementation is feasible.

• Like Like x 1