I Would Like To Make Few Suggestions In Laying Track.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Sabe20189, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Sabe20189

Sabe20189 Member

When the American railroads were laid out, towns were established close to ten miles apart so that the rail maintainers living in each of those towns, could work on the line 5 miles each way. The location of the towns, when possible, were placed at the top of a hill to help the stopping as the train entered the station as well as assist acceleration when it departed the station. This would mean some towns were further apart to take advantage of the physics of the grade. Also, a straight track, when possible, ment a minimum of materials between the Stations. This creates a problem when laying track on an existing line.

I am using an overlay map and one example of what I am up against is a section of straight track that is 27 miles long between Mason City, Iowa and Hampton, Iowa. No matter what I do, it looks more like a serpent than a straight line.

I have written numerous times in these forums regarding laying of straight track between stations and the difficulty in keeping the line on course when using Google map overlay. No matter how straight I try to lay the rail on the map, I still end up with a zig/zag effect.

Also, if I am a half a rail thickness off when connecting to a pre-existing rail, if I move the rail to line it up, the length of the rail I am moving, is so rigid that the slightest alignment separates the rail at the other end. Does that make sense? Rail is actually very flexible and amazingly easy to pull it sideways to line up a joint. There should be away to move the joint to match up to and existing rail without having to go back and forth trying to complete the process.

I have been working for a month to create an existing main line through a small Iowa town using a Google overlay and I am seriously backing off the project in order to wait for the 2021, or whatever versions comes out in hopes there will be considerable improvements in laying and adjoining track.

Here is a request for improvements I would like to see added to the next edition.

When I place a straight rail, I would like to see a marker that could be placed in the center of the rail at least a half mile out that would serve as a magnet to pull the far end of the new rail to the marker. As it is right now, if my straight rail has the slightest deviation off course I can not pull it over because that rail will be cut away at the other end and moved over. If there was an on/off setting at the cones for a completed joint it could maybe be set as a permanent weld (on or off) so that if I needed to slide the rail to make a joint with another pre-existing rail, the other end would not separate. Also, that bend would extend the length of the rail to minimize the appearance of the curvature. But in most cases, if you are laying all new track, a magnet marker would do the job. I hope this isn't to confusing.

2. pgdlrailworksl

pgdlrailworksl Member

laying of straight track
    When the track you are laying is straight it has a yellow outline.
    Now try holding the Ctrl key as you lay more track.
    If you move slightly left or right of straight ahead and you will find it will stay yellow.

3. Sabe20189

Sabe20189 Member

Thank you. When I am using a Google overlay, I found one method that that has helped me out, along with what you posted above. I backed up to the last curve before a straight-a-way. Then I added or removed 1,2 or three tie lengths to or from the curve depending on how far I wanted to swing the straight rail. When the straight rail swings close to the close to the overlay and finally lines up with the map of and existing line, I add another stretch of track and so on. Then when I get hout about 4 miles I use your method for a miner adjustment. It seems to be working quite well for me.