1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is This Game Have A Great Future?.

Discussion in 'PC' started by iosman1234, Jan 13, 2020.

1. iosman1234

iosman1234 New Member

Hello,

Like Train Simulator? I mean so much routes, trains, scenarios! Never ending support like Train Simulator!

Or this is a tech test and tech demo and support ends soon?

thanks
    iosman

2. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

At least that's not the plan as far as I can tell. But then, neither was that the plan with Flight Sim World, as far as anyone could tell. Two weeks before it got cancelled.

For a more precise and definite answer I'd need my crystal ball, which I have borrowed to my neighbour unfortunately, so he can cheat at the lottery.

• Like Like x 2
  3. rosariabarone780

rosariabarone780 New Member

Surely if TSW continues at this rate, it will not have a great future. Guaranteed.

• Like Like x 7
  4. thearkerportian

Yep. I recently caught myself thinking that as well, take ECW as the newest release, easily one of the buggiest so far. Signals not working, AWS not working, services can't be completed, invisible walls inside the trains...

"We can't build longer routes due to the development time that would take."

Well then excuse me please, but where exactly did that development time go? What was it spent on? If it's not length (it sure wasn't for ECW), it's not quality assurance, it's not feature-completeness of the 377 included, it's not the number of different trains included either... where did it go? Photoshopping the screenshots for the Steam page? Editing the trailer videos? Where did it go?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  5. J4mes

J4mes Member

What format are you playing on? I am personally on Xbox and can say that so far I have had no issue with the AWS, or the signals holding me up for any length of time. Maybe its just the PC version that is causing the issues for once!!

6. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

At the moment TSW exists because there is no competition from another company. If someone announced a new simulator tomorrow, one with mod support from release, TSW would be in big trouble.

The issues are definitely present on PC, I can't say whether they are on console or not. You can read more about the issues we've been having here: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/east-coastway-issues.19709/

An easy one to test is the banner repeater showing the wrong aspect as it's apparent with any service approaching Eastbourne.

• Like Like x 4
  7. DigitalRails

DigitalRails New Member

Imagine Microsoft announcing a brand new Train Simulator ( like new Flight Sim ), people at DTG will go in the limbo.
    :p

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ding

Ding Member

I can't see why not. TSW runs smooth as butter (I'm on PC) and for me it's more fun than Train Simulator, especially since more DLC has been released. Of course I would be happy to see the bulk of my favorite TS add-ons to become available in TSW, but eventually we'll get there.

It's always the struggle of missing your old content in a new game at first - but with the shift to Unreal Engine 4, TSW made the right choice in my opinion. It's a good engine that a lot of game developers use and (more importantly) KNOW, so finding employees for TSW-related projects will be much easier I assume. It was also time to depart from TS's legacy-engine that doesn't support a lot of new features that modern graphics cards offer and lacks in performance when compared to graphics quality.

As a consumer I am looking forward to a bright future with TSW and I am excited about new content to come this year!

• Like Like x 7
  9. thearkerportian

Fingers crossed!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Mr T

Mr T Active Member

It depends what you mean by competition. For example, Derail Valley is a train simulator with immediate mod support. It was initially designed as a VR demo so it has VR from the get go (it also has a steam engine). It's still in early access and as is pretty raw right now but from what the developers are saying the new update promises to be a big one and from what we can see is being worked on a lot. It doesn't have real places or copyrighted names but that may change in the future.

In my opinion TSW should have also been in early access when it was first released as there were so many bugs and issues with it. Now that a lot of those bugs have been ironed out, the diesels have been properly simulated (ie. in CSX Heavy Haul), and more recently headsway has been implemented, it seems like a proper game (as opposed to an early access one).

• Like Like x 2
  11. thearkerportian

TSW still feels very Early Access to me. Not that that was something bad per se.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Digital Draftsman

Something in a similar vein to MSTS, Railworks and TSW; A simulator which attempts to accurately recreate real world routes and trains. Derail Valley is great fun, but it exists somewhere between simulator and arcade, so it's in a more casual gaming market than a simulator, though there is some overlap.

I agree about TSW being Early Access. Even now it still feels like early access in many ways. For me it won't feel like a complete product until it at least has steam locomotives and the Editor, two features which have been standard on release features in MSTS, Trainz and Railworks.

• Like Like x 4
  13. thearkerportian

TSW is pretty much the Sony Beta System of Trainsimming. Lots of really nice features, stunning visual quality, and hands down many things it does right, but when it comes to the bare necessities (e.g. length) it falls flat on its face, to say it with Technology Connections.

It will be interesting to see what happens once somebody comes along and invents the VHS of trainsimming.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

An interesting analaogy - VHS was an inferior system when it was released compared to Beta, but won the war on marketing and price. I'm not sure a lower entry point, inferior sim would make huge strides in market penetration!

• Like Like x 2
  15. thearkerportian

The failure of Beta had nothing at all to do with price. Both systems started out as decidedly rich people's toys. It was the small cassettes and therefor short tapes, a design decision made early in the process that killed it. Too short to record a movie, an episode of a TV show, or, most importantly, a football/soccer/whatever sports game.

Part 1
    Part 2

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  16. Digital Draftsman

What caused VHS to beat Betamax was getting the industry and consumers to adopt it as standard. So long as a new sim was better than TS2020 and had comparable features, steam locomotives and an Editor, it would be highly likely that the third party developers and the community as a whole would adopt it as the new standard over TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  17. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

There's a couple of you who make me laugh on here and guaranteed every time, the crystal ball is needed I'm afraid, you'll have to go next door and tell him to wait until the next Euro / US Millions.
    I couldn't of said it better and again, this is why we all bang on about route length. TSW using near true to life scale? 1:1? or is it creatively adapted?

But yes when DTG make a route, and we know they can do it, look at Riviera Line compared to Just Trains' attempt. FPS is usually a lot better with DTG than third parties due to DTG knowing the limitations and not flooding the scenery with Trees to hide the problems, bridge assets with arches that cut off that look like they rushed it. So they can do it, but we'd like to see it. I love TSW but lets see what you can do with length and push UE4 to it's maximum.

18. thearkerportian

Yes, the routes are in 1:1 scale, very recognisable and for the most part very close to reality as far as I can tell from real life experience or at least from Google Earth if the route in question is too far away to check in person.

Now if DTG would build the whole route rather than only one half of it more often, I'd be much happier.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. iosman1234

iosman1234 New Member

thanks my issue has been fixed.