Route Jæren Line (jærbanen) - Stavanger To Egersund

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by pengi#8913, Sep 18, 2023.

1. pengi#8913

pengi#8913 Active Member

Hello, this is my suggestion for the Jæren Line (Jærbanen). The Jæren Line is a coastal line in Norway, being 75 km between Egersund and Stavanger. Out of 19 stations on the line, the busiest stops are Egersund, Nærbø, Bryne, Sandnes and Stavanger. The line is mostly single track, with a section of double track between Sandnes and Stavanger. The line has 1-2 local trains per hour between Stavanger, Skeiane, Nærbø and Egersund stopping at all stations and regional/intercity trains going from Stavanger to Oslo, stopping at Jåttåvågen, Sandnes, Bryne and Egersund. All passenger trains are operated by GoAhead Nordic.

Simplified route map (some inaccurate stop names):
    [​IMG]

Rolling stock
    [​IMG]
    NSB Type 72/BM72
    The BM72 is a 4 car EMU used on L5 commuter services from Stavanger to Skeiane, Nærbø and Egersund. These services stop at all stations along the way. 11 out of 36 of these units are operated by GoAhead-Nordic on the Jæren line. They have a top speed of 160 km/h or 100 mph. The BM72s make an unique sound when accelerating, similar to the British Class 323 and 465s or the Dutch VIRM. Take a listen (trust it's worth it):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    TRAXX (BR 185)
    The TRAXX could be reskinned for this route in either Green Cargo, CargoNet or Railpool livery for this route. It would run intermodal trains from and to the goods terminal located south of Ganddal (Ganddal Godsterminal). It could be quite challenging to drive these trains as you would have to stop often to let passenger trains pass you on the single line section.

Why should this route be made?
    The Jæren Line is not the longest, busiest or fastest route, and is quite linear. I chose to suggest this route because it has beautiful scenery, going along the southwestern coast of Norway and the Gands fjord, it's quite a simple route with mostly single track and a section of double track, and the included train is very interesting. There is decent service variation with services that are 20 minutes to over an hour long, and it is a full line so you can drive back and forth non-stop. I also travel on this line often, so I may be a little biased ;)

[​IMG]
    Stavanger Station

[​IMG]
    Kvaleberg workshop/depot

[​IMG]
    Jåttåvågen station, Jåttåvågen high school to the right

[​IMG]
    Sandnes Centre Station

[​IMG]
    Bryne Station and a NSB BM73 Intercity train

[​IMG]
    Single line near Nærbø

[​IMG]
    Nærbø station

[​IMG]
    Egersund Station

[​IMG]
    NSB (former operator) BM73 near the mountainous coastline

[​IMG]
    BM72 near Egersund

[​IMG]
    Ganddal goods terminal

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mariero station alongside the Gands fjord

[​IMG]
    Old Mariero

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2023
    • Like Like x 6
  2. steamylocoman

steamylocoman Well-Known Member

Any shunters?

• Like Like x 1
  3. pengi#8913

pengi#8913 Active Member

There is one at the depot near Stavanger and one at the goods terminal, but I doubt DTG would make them

4. karan#5946

karan#5946 Well-Known Member

This line is quite interesting I’ve never heard of this railway line before it looks quite good not gonna lie it’s a good route looking at the pictures

• Like Like x 1
  5. FallenFlags

FallenFlags New Member

Would love to see a Norwegian route :)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  6. pengi#8913

pengi#8913 Active Member

Me too!

7. 6233Jess

6233Jess Well-Known Member

Certainly looks like an interesting route, having no prior knowledge of it before reading this post.

Would be nice to introduce a Nordic route into the world of Train Simulation too.