Kingston Loop Line

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by budtheweiser, Jan 5, 2021.

1. budtheweiser

budtheweiser Active Member

• Like Like x 3
  2. UP13

UP13 Well-Known Member

If actually quite like this, including the branch to Shepperton.

Personally I'd create it as a network with Waterloo to Reading, Windsor branch, Hounslow Loop, Kingston Loop and Shepperton Branch. Possibly with Hampton Court branch and Chessington branch.

Range of stopping and semi-fast commuter services, plus engineering works diversions, freight trains between Virginia Water and Kew Bridge/Clapham Junction and steam excursions from Waterloo to Windsor or Victoria to Virginia Water.

3. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. UP13

UP13 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I don't own the Watercress Line (I am very tempted to buy it anyway) nor do I own the freeware packs but that does look interesting, particularly as I grew up in that part of the world.

A modern version of that route would be ideal.

5. markhazeldine

markhazeldine Well-Known Member

I would definitely be all over this. My local station was St. Margarets for 4 years, and I also went to Kingston Uni for a year, so I'd love to have this section done! I would also love to have the Windsor line. Shepperton, Reading and Hounslow Loop would also be cool, but I could live without them if that made the whole thing too big.

6. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

UP13 I don't have the Watercress but it functions without it.
    markhazeldine Ex Kingston uni myself. :) The above route is worth getting if you like the 50/60s era.

The 2D map of the original PDL Woking-Portsmouth route has lines radiating to all points from Guildford and Woking. Track and basic geography only. The Waterloo-Portsmouth was based on the original PDL so there might be something in the pipeline for the future.

• Like Like x 1
  7. markhazeldine

markhazeldine Well-Known Member

Yeah 50/60s is a bit before my time. I'm a child of the 80s! I prefer modern or recent history stuff. The current PDL has lots of little spurs off the main line to the next station, such as Wandsworth Town, Haydons Rd, Wimbledon Chase, Norbiton, Motspur Park, Hinchley Wood, Addlestone, Guildford London Rd, Shalford etc. but they don't go any further.

8. UP13

UP13 Well-Known Member

Interesting to know. I have the steam requirements but none of freeware or non-steam requirements. I might give it a go later and see if it works.

I prefer to make my own scenarios so it doesn't matter if I have the scenario requirements.

• Like Like x 1
  9. UP13

UP13 Well-Known Member

Downloaded the 50s/60s route along with the BR green repaint for the Class 421. Had a quick look around the route and all I can say is WOW!

For a freeware route it is incredible and we somebody who grew up in the area it is incredible to see how different it used to be with all the good sidings etc.

I'm looking forward to wasting my evenings making scenarios with my modest collection of Southern steam and electric DLC.

Thank you to Cat for giving me the encouragement to download it and I'd highly recommend others do too. Also massive thank you to the creators, if they ever read this, as the attention to detail for something you're not charging money for is amazing.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Glad you like it, for freeware it is very good. I'm old enough to remember those days with steam, electric and early diesels at Waterloo. A Bulleid Pacific letting of steam in Waterloo station was a sound to behold. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. UP13

UP13 Well-Known Member

How historically accurate would you say the route is?

I'm starting to plan out scenarios for it so I need to do some research into steam workings and freight workings (passenger operations I'm pretty sure I know).

12. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

I cannot vouch for its accuracy of that period as I did not live in London then. I can remember from journey from the Isle of Wight to Waterloo on the 4CORs and seeing the variety of stock coming and going. HALs, SUBs, CORs, Bulleid Pacifics and other kettles, some for mainline and others, 4MT tanks and even GWR Panniers for ECS duties.

Freight is difficult to pin down, obviously Feltham was the main yard on the Waterloo Suburban route. Inter-regional freight traffic would arrive there using the the cross London line, via Olympia and Clapham Junction. Locos from other regions would change at Clapham, so a Black 5 and other non SR locos could be seen there. Milk trains from the SW region and timed as Expresses could feature in scenarios.

Timetables for freight movements would be difficult to get, but we can assume that they would be restricted to avoid rush hour commuter traffic.

You might find this site as a useful reference to things SR.
    https://sremg.org.uk/photoind.shtml

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  13. UP13

UP13 Well-Known Member

14. A Rail Fan From Wokingham

A Rail Fan From Wokingham Member

You maybe able to find some old working timetables from the era you are doing.

15. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Why do we keep digging this thread up?