Lahaina-kaanapali Pacific Railroad

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by jasonstanleyd, Feb 13, 2019.

1. jasonstanleyd

jasonstanleyd New Member

Background: The Lahaina-Kaanapali Pacific Railroad (LKPRR) is a small route between the towns of Kaanapali Maui and Lahaina Maui. This railroad used to be a fully functioning railway which extended across the island of Maui which was used to transport sugarcane from plantations. In 1969, it was turned into a small passenger railroad. The route today is a 6 mile, narrow gauge steam railroad. I feel like this would be a great way for DTG to introduce steam locomotives into TSW. This railway consists only of 3 stations: Lahaina, Kaanapali, and Puukolii, where the yard for this railway is located. Despite this being a very small route, it is demanding to attention to detail. I personally love this railway because as a child, I would sometimes go on vacation to Maui and I remember the connection I felt when riding on the railway. Whether it was the large trees which would scrape the side of the train as we rode past or the stretch of track next to the ocean or the small trestle bridge, without a doubt this is my favorite railway.

Current Locomotives on the system: The railway currently has 4 locomotives. Only 3 of which are in operating condition. Oahu No. 45 is a MTD Plymouth diesel locomotive. Although it isn't primarily used for passenger services, it is on standby just in case a steam locomotive fails. TSW can integrate a shunting scenario with this locomotive. Anaka No.1 is a small steam locomotive which is commonly used for regular passenger operation. Myrtle No. 3 is very similar to Anaka however, the tenders are different for both locomotives. Both of these steam locomotives were built in Pittsburgh in 1943. No.5, which doesn't have any other name, used to belong to the Oahu Railway. The locomotive was eventually retired in 1954 and brought to LA. The LKPRR eventually brought the loco back to Maui. The locomotive is not in operating condition but it is on display at Lahaina Station. This locomotive is planned to be restored at some point.

[​IMG]
    Oahu No. 45
    [​IMG]
    Anaka No.1
    [​IMG]
    Myrtle No.3
    [​IMG]
    No. 5

• Like Like x 1