PC Latest Progress On Route Editor? (my Wishlist Included)

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by cActUsjUiCe, Sep 22, 2017.

1. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

I remember from months ago one of the devs stated that if DTG's plans continue on track, that the editor should be released by the end of 2017. Is this still the case? Is there any additional information the devs can tell us about the route editor (expected release date, functionality, etc?)

Here is my wishlist of features (as a seasoned route developer for TS2014,15,16,& 17 and the creator of New Haven to Boston route on the Steam Workshop):

1) Ability to set custom values of superelevation on each part of a curve. The superelevation algorithm in TS17 is horrific and I don't enjoy it being an automatic calculation.

2) Allow superelevation on crossovers. Although large superelevation values on crossovers isn't possible due to derailing concerns, there are some places with crossovers on curves that have a small amount of superelevation.

3) In TS17, each section of track had ONE speed for passenger consists and ONE speed for freight consists. In many places (such as the Northeast Corridor) there can be many different speed limits for a variety of passenger consists. For example, a particular curve here in Rhode Island is 130MPH for the Acela Express, 125MPH for the Northeast Regional, etc. DTG should give the developers the ability to create multiple speed limits for each section of track. The speed limit that gets enforced is based on which train the player is operating.

4) In TS17, DTG created the signal logic for each type of signal in the route and gave the developer no control over how signalling behaves. DTG should allow developers to create their own signal logic in order to make signals behave the way they want. Give us features to force certain signal aspects on signals (for example...force a signal to be Restricting aspect at all times but will change to Stop aspect when a train passes). The way it is now has a signal always be a Stop signal unless a train is on that track.

5) A more detailed system for creating spiral transition curves (known as 'easements' in TS17). It would be nice to statically define curve parameters (length of spiral, length of main curve, degree of curvature, etc.) and have the editor automatically generate a curve with those parameters. This would allow for MUCH more precise track creation.

6) A powerful scripting engine. I'll give an example. On the Northeast Corridor there is a form of PTC known as ACSES (Advanced Civil Speed Enforcement System). It has many features but the most prominent ones are ensuring trains stop at Stop signals, calculating safe braking curves, and enforcing Temporary Speed Restrictions sent down from the dispatchers office. It would be nice if DTG gave developers FULL control over scripting things like this and implementing that scripting into their routes. A system like this would allow developers to create realistic features from scratch.

7) Developer team collaboration features. There need to be features that allow a team of developers to seamlessly collaborate together. When I developed New Haven to Boston in TS17, we had to get pretty clever in order for people to work together (only one person working on tracks at a time, dividing decoration into separate grid tiles assigned to people, etc.)

8) Integrated functionality to import real world terrain. We had to jump through so many hoops in TS17 editor to get real world terrain imported.

I hope the dev team takes this into consideration. Thanks.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Aquantis

Aquantis Active Member

I just wanna touch on #8 and add that many services offer terrain/topographical maps (some even down to 1m), so it should be relatively simple to implement an existing terrain maps into UE4.

3. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Yeah, I am quite familiar on how to obtain the terrain elevation data, but it's a matter of applying that data into the landscape. I'm hoping DTG implemented this feature into their editor.

4. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

No details to share right now cActUsjUiCe, I'm sure we'll have an official announcement at the appropriate time. For now, you should note the Tools are still deep in development. Could you elaborate on where in our official announcements does it say "End of 2017"?

5. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Thanks for the reply, Steve. The "end of 2017" thing was not in any official announcement, but rather was a comment made by DTG_James in the Steam Discussion forum on April 7th.

Capture.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  6. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

Thanks cActUsjUiCe :)

7. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

I have noted since the initial release of TSW HH there were few but not many assets such as people, automobiles and idle rolling stock (the hump yard end of Cumberland is a wasteland). In subsequent patches in order to improve game play some assets have been removed (I remember autos in the autoracks) and graphics have been adjusted to reduce detail. Is it that TSW can only load a limited amount of assets at certain graphic levels in order to keep frame rates up, reduce stuttering/lagging in order to keep game play at an acceptable level? As far as an editor is concerned would it need to have something built in to limit the amount these items as well? The editor in TS allows me to add as much until there is an issue eg: crashes. Will there be a time as in TS that the game can be populated with more of these peripherals such as people, clutter, automobiles and idle stock?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  8. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Folks keep referring to a route editor, but surely a scenario or service editor will be included, as in TS?

• Like Like x 3
  9. NekoNina

NekoNina Well-Known Member

With the editing tools you will probably be able to do everything you could do in TSXX and even more.

• Like Like x 2
  10. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

Frankly I feel; the scenario editor is the deliverable most keenly awaited. The number of people likely to use a scenario editor is likely to considerably outnumber those who are interested and capable of creating a new route.

• Like Like x 2
  11. nne4229

nne4229 Well-Known Member

At this point, it's gonna be late 2019. Coming Soon - Q4 2019...

12. NekoNina

NekoNina Well-Known Member

Stop spreading false information! Nobody, except DTG, knows anything at this point.

• Like Like x 5
  13. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

Well perhaps DTG would at least deign to tell us which year we can expect any editing tools to be available? If they can't be bothered to tell us anything other than "We're working on it" then people are going to speculate and the longer nothing appears the more pessimistic those speculatons will become.

• Like Like x 1
  14. solon

solon Active Member

Everybody waits for the editor now. If it is released at the end of the year 2019, it will be too late.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Very good points cActUsjUiCe! I am looking forward to us starting this project.

• Like Like x 1
  16. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

"Everybody"? Sheer, exaggerated, meaningless speculation; "too late"? for what?

• Like Like x 3
  17. solon

solon Active Member

Because the game will have released for 3 years, and with the DLC the price will be more than 100 euros for new players, thus less attractive. TRS2019 already released with editor, and if DTG continues at the same time to develop Train Simulator, there will not be enough players so that TSW is profitable.

Other point: the LDC and the modelling of trains are good. But there are very few scenarios. The mode service is too repetitive (are missing random events), few players stay for a long time on TSW. With a editor we could add some contents and scenarios.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  18. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

We’re going to get the editors.