PC Latest Sale

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by nwp1, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Conductor B

Conductor B Well-Known Member

If TSW did the A-Line, I'd gladly pre-order it and pay full price. The only thing keeping me from trying-out Run8 is the cost. There seems to be a lack of sales. In order to get the base software, the necessary Amtrak equipment, and the A-Line, I'd be paying more than I did for TSW and Rush Hour.

2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

To the best of my knowledge Run 8 have never done a sale. I am slowly assembling all the wagon packs but it’s not cheap at $10 or £8 a shot plus the bank foreign exchange fee (on each item too as R8 eCommerce doesn’t allow multiple purchases in one transaction).

3. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Steam's Midweek Madness sale is on, ending 5/26. TSW2 discounts break down thus:
    Base game alone is 35% off, or each of the three starter bundles (US, UK, Germany) is 60% off
    Every DLC released thru BR 101 is 60% off except Arosalinie (50%)
    Every DLC from HHL thru Sherman Hill is 50% off
    Every DLC from the G6 thru Horseshoe Curve is 20% off

• Like Like x 2
  4. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I already have everything I am interested in from the 50% or more category, and $23 is still higher than I want to go for HSC.

5. OldVern

Ironically this time round I want to get some TSC stuff which I don’t think has gone on sale, yet.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Conductor B

Conductor B Well-Known Member

I noticed that Diesel Legends in on sale for $9. Question for anyone who has it, by way of a bad car analogy: are the locomotives equipped with "automatic transmission" or do you need to "learn how to drive stick" in order to use them?

7. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

The 101 has manual gears - it's the only train in the game that does.

8. solicitr

Other than the 101, they are all diesel-electric with automatic transitioning (or diesel-hydraulic, in the case of the 52)

9. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

Yay, was waiting for a sale like this,

i now have pretty much all the German content i want... i only like to drive German passenger electric trains BTW.

So i have everything except the G6, 363 and 204 shunters, as i just wouldn't drive them.
    I also don't have the 187 or 155 freight loco's... i have the 182 but only got that as it allows more/different AI freight trains on some routes... wonder if the 187 and 155 do the same?
    i believe the 187 is one of the most hated loco's in the game, it certainly has the crappiest reviews and i'd never bother driving it.

Only German route i haven't got yet is Tharandter Rampe, i'm being a tight arse and waiting for it to come a but further down in price in another sale.

• Like Like x 1
  10. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

As others have said, only the Class 101 DMU has gears that you change manually... it uses a torque converter, so no manual clutch :)... so it's really just a case of moving the gear lever up or down a notch when the rev counter approaches the 'change up' or 'change down' marks. and it's got 4 gears.

If you want to learn how to drive it 'properly' then these 1950's British Railways training films might help:

• Like Like x 1
  11. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Okay ... Cane Creek 50% off sounds too nice to be true. How is the route? 1-2 Mods to fix to saddest misses? I got the HorseShoe and the Sherman Hill route ... is it different from Sherman Hill or a little boring because of the desert?

12. solicitr

Cane Creek: scenery is spectacular, some of the best in all of TSW. Sort of like a smaller Sherman Hill but much more visually interesting. Biggest drawback (again like SH): not a whole lot of service variety. Basically up and down the route, with a few shunting and loading services. However, the grade constantly changes so you have to be alert on the throttle and brakes, this isn't just a "find setting for constant speed and relax" route.

But at that price, get it!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. OldVern

Yes I can recommend Cane Creek, basically a bit of magic in the scenery department even makes the relatively flat section look great, in a way that Run 8 can only dream of. Drawback is the 25 MPH speed limit which does make things a bit of a drag. You also need to watch manual switches as these will not push over if set for the opposite direction and you run through them.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, let's get Cane Creek then! :)

15. pinter

pinter Member

• Like Like x 2
  16. Rybnicki

Rybnicki Well-Known Member

Is anyone else able to see this? Above link takes me to the store homepage and I can't find the bundle by searching. Is it maybe region specific?

17. pinter

pinter Member

Odd, it was working when I posted that. Looks like it's not working for me either now.

18. Rybnicki

If you Google the product ID number (25408) then I can see a result for what you're talking about but again, clicking it just takes me to the Steam store homepage. Well done if you grabbed that, looks like you got something that wasn't supposed to be out:)

19. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

A few xbox items on sale including Sherman Hill, Cathcart, London Commuter, Class 313 and the new journeys expansion pack, all at 45% off.

Don’t Know whether this is sale just for today or longer.

Last edited: May 24, 2022
  20. trainnick77

trainnick77 Member

cant make up my mind between west Cornwall local or Cathcart circle, which would people recommend?

21. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

BR Class 31 for TVL has found its way into my basket on steam, at £4.79 it seems a decent buy, but what are those who own it views on the loco? Dont see much comments about it either way (not sure if thats a good thing).

Worth a punt?

22. captaingunadeep

captaingunadeep Active Member

I personally didn't like Cathcart Circle. But west Cornwall was good with the enhancement mods

• Like Like x 1
  23. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I quite like it. Thing is, it just is. There's nothing really remarkable to say about it, positive or negative, but it's nice to drive.

• Like Like x 1
  24. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Cathcart is fabulous 100% WCL is rubbish 10%.

25. pinter

pinter Member

I'm a big fan of TVL with both the Class 31 and Class 20 loco packs. I enjoy the various freight services, and having the extra mix of locos is nice.

26. Rybnicki

Taken a look at this thread and decided to pick up West Cornwall at last, thanks for the tips guys.

27. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Here's what I don't have from the 50%+ off section. Am I missing any gems? Regarding locos, I'm more interested in enjoyable content than the driving experience.

LIRR M3
    BR Class 33
    DB BR 204
    BR Class 52
    Arosalinie (when the Rhb Anniversary Pack also gets a good discount)
    HHL
    London Underground 1938
    DB BR 187
    West Cornwall

Thanks!

28. Kobebeef

Kobebeef Active Member

I love Sherman hill, cane creek, sand patch and ofc run8 so would you guys recommend horseshoe curve at the current discount?

29. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Not too bad, one of the scenarios (can't remember name) constantly fails though.

I keep looking at arosa but I'm not sure if their recent fix and add on pack has made it worthwhile.

Came creek just looks two mindset for me

Kobebeef i bought horseshoe and it's actually a nice route, im a few hours into it and skyhook have put some nice touches in there. You can actually do journey mode in nice weather as opposed to constant night and rain too

30. OldVern

Class 31 on TVL gets its own sub Journey mode which is good, though as related above one or more of the runs might be a bit twitchy. IMHO the sounds aren’t quite as a remember a Goyle but close enough and it is an enjoyable loco to drive. The physics does seem to have captured the rather ponderous performance of these old beasts.

31. redrev1917

Yes, it's on a par if not better than Sherman Hill with some nice variety and the South Fork branch adds something both Sherman Hill and Sand Patch are missing

32. solicitr

At that price? Absolutely. The Class 31 is a standout among the old BR diesels, largely because it simply drives... differently. The sluggish brakes in particular become a challenge.

Also, the 31 has both goods and passenger services (in the latter, hauling a deadweight 101)

33. Kobebeef

Kobebeef Active Member

Thanks for you're input going to pick up HSC on th e sale :)

34. OldVern

Well according to all the gen, Steam Thanksgiving (aka Autumn) sale should start later today.

Hoping DTG have agreed some good discounts after not much appeared in the Halloween sale (apart from a few Thomson/Rivet DLC). Ideally want to pick up Harlem and HSC for TSW, but only if at least 30% off. Also looking at North Wales Coast TSC and the Bossman Royal Scot to go with it but again at least 25% off full price.

My "also rans" are Hamburg to Lubeck and Rapid Transit but minimum 50% off to consider those.

• Like Like x 1
  35. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

That’s right OV, I believe the Steam sale begins at 6pm tonight, apart from a few marketplace items which are always included and a couple of locomotives, I am only looking for the TSC German fictional route Im Köblitzer Bergland but only if it’s 40% off. I only need it as a requirement for a freeware route and am in no hurry to get it. Also l am looking at couple of Items for the Tram Sim, so not a big spend this evening. Keeping my money for the RSSLO, SSS and the AP Christmas sale in a months time.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  36. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

One of the great, solid early routes.

37. solicitr

Funny, I have received no announcement, inside Steam or outside, about an upcoming sale.

38. Dux of Fatumnia

Dux of Fatumnia New Member

On Epic Games, the Black Friday Sale should also start today. I really hope there is some TSW DLC included, because we haven't had a sale for at least half a year now on Epic.

39. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Just on off chance you've never seen this.

https://steamdb.info/sales/history/

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  40. Jon from Rhode Island

Jon from Rhode Island Well-Known Member

They don’t advertise until the sale starts. According to SteamDB the sale goes online at 1800 UTC (1pm EST)

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  41. solicitr

Well, then I might add one of the DLC on my "wait for the sale" list- Horseshoe Curve, Island 2022, or maybe HBK if it's discounted enough. Might even get Luzerne if it's slashed to pennies, which was why I got Arosa some time back.

• Like Like x 1
  42. Dux of Fatumnia

Dux of Fatumnia New Member

The Black Friday Sale just started on Epic, but no sale whatsoever for Train Sim World. Quite disappointing that there is no sale for more than half a year. Last year we had a Halloween sale, a Black Friday Sale, and a Christmas sale, this year nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  43. lupojohn

lupojohn Active Member

As I'm doing the DLC in order of release and had my entire profile wiped out, I am looking for the GP40-2 for SPG, Rapid Transit and West Somerset Railway at minimum 25%.

44. solicitr

The GP40-2 is dead and gone; nothing from NEC New York made it into TSW2.

45. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Only thing possible for me during this sale is the m3 and the 38 stock which don't interest me at all. There is also the tsw3 loco bundle at 15% off.

46. OldVern

Steam sale is "on", grabbed Harlem for 55% off, most other stuff is 40% off. HSC only 20% off so that can go on the backburner. Will probably grab a few more items later as Steam having a bit of an oops with none of the items I own actually shown as such in the master list of DLC and wouldn't download initially. Needed a reboot.

Some smaller discounts on TSC stuff, too.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
  47. solicitr

Have Steam's servers crashed? Because after a nominal but empty download of my DLC, now there is nothing in my Library, and after logging out I can't log back in (just a spinner)

48. OldVern

There seemed to be some issues a few minutes ago as I noted, it couldn't co-ordinate my TSW3 install or download Harlem. I had to restart my PC and it seems to be going okay now. Not surprised the servers are taking a pounding as this is the first decent sale since July.

49. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

Is Harlem worth it at that price? All the reviews mentioning bugs are worrying.

50. redrev1917

Out of the 7 DLC I don't own only the Diesel Legends of Great Western and The TSW3 loco pack are tempting me at the discounts offered.

I actually put the the loco pack in my basket but then remembered there's no journeys for any of three and it's still the wrong side of a tenner to sway me.