Lirr Track Speed Restrictions Map

Discussion in 'Creators Club' started by geloxo, Dec 30, 2020.

1. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

I edited the route map to add standard track speed restrictions we would find when playing services in this route. They are the ones existing due to speed boards, curves, tunnels or entry to branch lines, so the ones that ATC is normally not providing due to its design, as it only supervises the MAS (Maximum Authorized Speed) for the block. Some of them may be lower in case routes involve switches. The typical additional speed restrictions on switches areas can be 60, 45, 35 or 30. I also added the speed limits at the platforms in the main stations.

For instance at Jamaica you normally arrive and depart using switches, so speed limits would be 35 for arrivals/departures and 15 at platforms most of the time even if the east arrival has a 80 speed limit. That´s why I used those values in the map. Another example is the Atlantic branch. There ATC will provide 60 if signals are clear, as this is one of the possible speed limits for that signal aspect together with the 80, 70 or 55, but as the track has 45 speed restrictions in some areas then driver needs to drive at 45.

Remember that in case ATC or signal aspects command speed limits lower than those ones then they will be in force instead. The typical examples are the signal aspects due to diverging routes or the restrictive limits ATC commands at platforms. Also take into account your train lenght when leaving the track speed restrictions areas as some of them are very close to each other and therefore higher limits may be in force during shorter times for long trains. This is the case of the arriving 70 at Bellerose when going to Hempstead brach for instance, which has a 60 before it and a 45 after it.

This can be used as an additional complement during driving to better anticipate to speed restrictions. I hope it helps to better understand this complex and challenging route :)

USA LIRR Track Speed Restrictions.jpg

If you need further guidelines regarding ATC operation please check the signalling chapter in my steam guide:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1693369538

An explanatory and detailed signal reference chart can be found at Jovet´s site, under NORAC rules section:

Railroad Signal Aspect Charts (jovet.net)

A deeper signalling guide is available here in the forum:

Long Island Rail Road Signal Guide (unofficial) | Dovetail Games Forums

Cheers

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 12
    • Like Like x 9