Other Lirr...

Discussion in 'TSW Troubleshooting & Issues Discussion' started by wxtr7, Nov 19, 2020.

1. wxtr7

wxtr7 Well-Known Member

Most of this is probably old and has been said already, but it's worth repeating...

Stutter: Not a new issue, but I definitely think it's gotten worse in TSW2. Over the last several weeks, I'm assuming you've been pushing some performance upgrades, because I've noticed the game (in general) performing better overall compared to when TSW2 was released & TSW1. I generally average 45-55 FPS (35-45 in the high concentration busy areas), and I'm not an FPS person that thinks everything needs to be 60+ FPS, so I gauge it on how each route/area within a route performs relative to the average of everything. And LIRR is right up there on performing normally. But LIRR has the constant stutter (and there doesn't even need to be an AI train around to cause it). My guess is LIRR needs the new tile loading system as something isn't optimized here.

Signalling system & ATC: IMO needs an overhaul. There's several places where you can encounter a random speed drop (via ATC usually) without any warning. If you're doing 80 at the time you usually have to slam on the breaks cause a 40/limited aspect came out of no where. The way I understand ATC and other safety systems is they should be aware of that and walk you down (like 80-60-40-...)? Maybe I'm mistaken, but this seems fishy, especially when it sometimes leads to a SPAD cause you can't go from 80 to 0 all that fast.
    I've noticed ATC will hold you to a lower speed much longer than seems necessary even if track speed increases (and yes I know those aren't necessarily related), sometimes on the order of 400-800 yards, and can lead to it being impossible to meet the timetable. Biggest offender I can thick of is leaving Atlantic Terminal. You're well into the tunnel before ATC releases you from 15 despite track speed already up to 40. Following as close to max speed as I can, I usually arrive at Nostrand Avenue anywhere from 45 second to over a minute late. LIRR/ATC people, is this correct behavior or an issue in the way DTG has implemented ATC?
    Also, and this is only really noticeable if you have the next aspect color on in the HUD, but often when the invisible signals come into range, they start of yellow and change to clear after about a second, which is kind of annoying.

Electrification: The way I understand 3rd rail trains is that as long as at least 1 car in the consist has contact with the 3rd rail, the entire train has power (please correct me if I'm wrong though). Since TSW2, the M7 will lose power in each car if that car loses contact with the 3rd rail (seen easily going through junctions). This was not the behavior in TSW1.

2. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

It's not like that for the 72 stock, each car is isolated and if looses contact with the third rail it will "shut down" but I don't know about the M7

3. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

For the stuttering take a look here, as it solved the issue to me there and in other routes: Anti-stuttering Trick: Force Game To Render At A Fixed Fps Target | Dovetail Games Forums

Regarding ATC I remember this having been discussed many times in the past. The problem is that it seems, according to the people who better knows the line in real life, that the implementation is correct. It´s a bizarre line as ATC limits and speed limits do not match, as you would expect. ATC gives you the max authorized speed for the block, not the most restrictive speed limit inside the block, and that´s the main problem, so it can be the case that you are authorized to drive at 40mph in a block, but there´s a speed restriction in a curve inside the block. ATC won´t give you that speed restriction. In addition to that there are very few boards you can use to visual driving. So most drivers need to know the track speed limits by heart, so to say. The best is to drive with the next speed limit distance indicator active in the HUD (CTRL+4).

For the electrification what I think you are suffering are the powerless sections. They are needed at the switches areas for instance to avoid that train shortcuts the power lines of the two branches if it became connected to both at the same time, as normally they are independant power lines. It´s the same as insulators in the catenary lines. Switches have a small section where there´s no power. If you stop in it you may need to change pantos, as you may get no power from the overhead wires.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

You need to put the prefix on your topic for what platform you play on as some bugs are platform specific.