London Marylebone- Aylesbury Vale Parkway

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by james64, Aug 24, 2021.

1. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

Recently Chiltern Railways were found to be one of the licences DTG have access to, at least according to that leak. While I think a lot of people would prefer a route up the Chiltern Mainline to High Wycombe I think the route to Aylesbury via Amersham is more likely, for a couple of reasons. It's about the right length at 39 miles, and it would feel like a more complete route than if they were to cut the Mainline short at say High Wycombe.

Firstly, the Class 165/0s are the primary form of traction on this route. As the 166 is already in the game a lot of the work is already done. It wouldn't be exactly the same though. They have very different interiors and as they are only capable of 75mph they'd probably have to tweak the physics a bit. They have a slightly different front as well. I imagine it would be a similar amount of work as it was to bring the 387 to BML.

Secondly, a significant chunk of this route runs alongside, and even shares track with the London Underground's Metropolitan line. If DTG decide to make the Metropolitan line in the future (the survey showed people would like to see another Underground route), then a significant chunk of the track would already be done. Plus, they'd be able to add the Chiltern 165s as AI trains as a layer (and vice versa with S stock trains as a layer on the Aylesbury line).

What do you think?

• Like Like x 4
  2. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

Good suggestion. As for the mainline, this doesn't necessarily need to terminate at High Wycombe but instead run via the alternate route to Aylesbury. Along with the Class 165/0, you could have Class 168 Clubman and 170 Turbostar units with Class 115 for the older feel. Express trains could come with Class 67 or 68 power and relevant coaches.
    If the Class 165/0 is developed it might be worthwhile also developing the Class 165/1 for GWE alongside the Chiltern units.

• Like Like x 3
  3. james64

170s don't run on the Chiltern Route, although there are a few 172s.

I agree about the alternate route although I think DTG would go for the route via Amersham because of the Metropolitan line possibilities, and also because they wouldn't have to include any train other than the 165. I don't think the 168s run on that route.

• Like Like x 2
  4. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Only the Class 165s run to Aylesbury via Amersham as they are equipped with safety systems that allows for running on the same tracks as the underground metropolitan line services. I think this would be a fantastic route, the major trains operated (S8 stock and the Class 165) is all is that is really needed (other trains only serve short segments of the route so wouldn't be useful anyway except as possibly AI) and there's some good operational variety and potential for branches (Chesham and maybe Watford), even if the LU section ended at Baker Street it would still provide long enough drive times.

• Like Like x 2
  5. james64

Would the tripcock system add any functionality to how you drive the train or would it just be in the background similar to TPWS?

• Like Like x 1
  6. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

I think it's just a passive system similar to TPWS, I'm not totally sure though.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly the tripcock is raised if a signal ahead is at Danger and if a train runs over when it's raised the power to the section of track ahead gets the power shut off to forcibly stop the train. I think it could only be used as a small animation because if you pass a red signal the game ends so you wouldn't see any effect if it were to be added properly :) (someone please feel free to correct me if any of that is wrong :))

Edit: I would love to see this as it was my local route for a long time :)

• Like Like x 2