Map Suggestion

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Anonymous, Oct 22, 2021.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Member

I don't know If this idea would work. But, would it be possible for DTG to merge maps together. For example, the London Commuter to East Coastway or maybe even connecting all the London routes together at some point.

I understand this could be catastrophic to the performance due to the amount of services running in one session.

But, if DTG finish polishing the London Commuter route. I.E fix the bugs and crashes and smooth out the performance. Then surely they could work out a way in which platforms rams could take on such a vast amount of services etc.

If this is a possibility, my personal opinion would be for DTG to decrease the AI traffic (slightly) for those playing on console and increase passenger density. As my primary platform is the Xbox and believe increasing the passenger density would make us feel as though we are actually part of the network rather than driving empty trains.

• Like Like x 1
  2. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

They are not gonna split up the game in to next gen and last gen. The game will stay supported for last gen until they see the numbers of players on last gen dwindle. Next gen is a fraction of the players DTG has said.

But I'm also pretty sure everyone wants such a map

• Like Like x 2
  3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Everyone keeps asking for BML and ECW to be merged, but there's only two or three trains a day which go down the BML and into Brighton then off to the ECW. Almost all trains coming from London and onto the ECW bear off at Wivelsfield so don't need to go to Brighton at all

Other routes would do with a merge, but not specifically those two UNLESS they do a Wivelsfield curve add on (very very unlikely)

Then maybe they need to look at how services run in the game. Do they need to have all services running at all times or could they use a platform like simsig running in the background which notes where trains are at all times in a very basic format, and only trains within a certain distance are loaded fully, similar to what happens with map tiles.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. antwerpcentral

What are the ramification of using simsig? Sounds like the best way to do it in a videogame.

5. ARuscoe

I don't know how it works at the moment, but for me the idea would be to remove as much as you can from memory and only load it in when it's required. From what I gather from the multitude of what Matt's said on stream about such things in the past the whole of the signalling is loaded in at the start and a basic version of each consist which is then tracked constantly throughout the scenario.

If you had a very basic control system in the background operating the signals and so on you would in effect have the "in game world" mirroring this background, and if you look at a game like simsig it can run very complex systems using a lot less memory. I don't know if that's viable within the world of TSW, but getting the basics working very basically would seem to be the way to go, and we know that they just don't in TSW at the moment

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Anonymous

Anonymous Member

Hello,
    I am a last gen user. My primary platform is the Xbox One S. This is the reason at to why I suggested making the AI traffic slightly fewer and make the passenger density greater having experienced issues on the London Commuter route with so many services that the last gen consoles simply can not handle due to the ram size needed.

In addition, I find that DTG should individualize the generation of console game as we pay for the routes and expect it to work smoothly and to a standard that is beautifully enjoyable.

The London Commuter is the best route DTG have released. It's busy, it's realistic, it's enjoyable. But when we on the last generation experience so many bugs and crashes with the route we have paid to play it has a sense of us losing faith in DTG if they don't intend to care and fix the problems the last generation users are experiencing.

Thank you for your comment,
    Its very much appreciated

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Member

Hello ARuscoe,
    The idea of DTG merging the London Commuter line to the EastCoast Way line was just an example I gave so people who may have read my thread got a general idea of what I meant. I didn't want people thinking I meant merging a British line with say, an American line. Of course not.

But most of the British DLC's given to us by DTG are mainly based in London or close to London. For example, the GWR line, the London Bakerloo, Southeastern Coastway, London Commuter.

So rather than getting to reading from London Paddington and having to go back to the main menu to drive the service from Reading to Gatwick. I thought it would be a good idea to connect the routes and you could just take over control of the service like you would any other service operating on the line you've chosen to play.

I understand it may come with complications. But, surely if DTG are working out how to get around the console platforms ram usuage, so we can still get the layers they want us to have. Then surely they can make something like this possible??

Thankyou for your comment, its very much appreciated

• Like Like x 1
  8. ARuscoe

Yep, agreed, but that could be accomplished using the blue shafts of light similar to how you can start scenarios (which partially reload as well)
    I've suggested in the past that if the station tile (in this case Reading) was the same in each version of itself (so PAD - RDG and RDG to GTW) then it wouldn't be too hard (!) to accomplish

Following Matt's comment the other day about dynamically loading and offloading DLC IF they can dynamically load the DLC in the background, ie you get on a train at RDG bound for GTW and with the same tile loaded (ie you're sat in RDG so that stays) the remainder of the DLC loads up around you (ie the requirements for the GTW DLC). When you leave RDG the RDG-PAD DLC can dynamically offload

• Like Like x 1
  9. Anonymous

Anonymous Member

Hello,
    Thankyou, yes. You explained much more clearly than I did, but yes exactly like that.
    Thankyou again, its much appreciated

10. antwerpcentral

This map Idea sounds to get interesting with the dynamic mounting of DLC. If not for this map it will be able to offer bigger routes or lots of branches

• Like Like x 1
  11. ARuscoe

If they learn how to chain DLC and simplify timetables it would effectively mean that networks would be unlimited

• Like Like x 2
  12. antwerpcentral

Unlimited is not the amount of my bankaccount. I won't be able to purchase unlimited DLC :D

13. ARuscoe

Maybe not, but say you wanted all lines into Amsterdam and these could be networked so as you built up your collection things would literally "slot in" fully, that would be a good thing, no?
    You wouldn't need the Berlin, Manchester or Caltrain DLC, so wouldn't need to buy those to complete your system

Kind of like in model railroading, where you buy the stations, trains and foliage you need to complete your system, but don't get the stuff you don't need or want

14. antwerpcentral

You are pure evil selling me this. :D The more your idea evolves I see my wallet go broke.

• Like Like x 2
  15. ARuscoe

I stopped using a wallet two years ago when mine got stolen... Might be fatal :cool:

• Like Like x 1