Marschbahn (husum - Westerland (sylt))

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Jo_Kim, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Jo_Kim

Jo_Kim Well-Known Member

2021-03-10 22.45.25 openrailwaymap.org f2e465b627d0.jpg
    Wikipedia Article
    Do you want diesel? Do you want the seaside? Do you want a line packed with services? Then this is for you. This the Marschbahn in the far north of Germany. This line runs along the west coast of Schleswig-Holstein and crosses the North Sea to reach the island of Sylt. Whilst there are ferry connections to Denmark this line is the only major connection to the mainland. Every car, cargo container, worker, and tourist must be transported on this line. It isn't electrified so this is the land of the mighty Diesels, including the famous and long-serving BR 218.

Quick Facts:
    Length: 79,4km
    Max. Speed: 140km/h
    Signaling System: H/V
    Safety System: PZB

Route:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The line starts all the way south in Hamburg but the most famous and most beautiful part can be found in the north. The most famous section is the Hindenburgdamm between the mainland and Sylt. It was opened in 1927 and runs through the famous Wadden Sea.
    The route changes a lot between single and dual-track along its length. Combined with the heavy traffic this makes driving and avoiding delays very challenging.
    The services range from freight to local passenger trains, to Intercity service, as well as motorail and shunting in Westerland and Niebüll.

Stations:

Husum
    Bredstedt
    Langenhorn (Schleswig)
    Niebüll
    Klanxbüll
    Morsum (Sylt)
    Keitum
    Westerland (Sylt)

Rolling Stock:
    BR 218 (V 164)
    [​IMG]

BR 245 (Bombardier Traxx P160 DE ME)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BR 628
    [​IMG]

BR 247 (Siemens Vectron DE)
    [​IMG]

Optional Extras:

BR 251 (Vossloh DE 2700)
    [​IMG]

BR 223 (Siemens ER20)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 40
  2. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

BR 245 the diesel version of MSB BR 146.2 & 185. AFB Control should be the same as in 146.2 & 185 that is left under desk while the right underdesk controls your PZB Modes. Rear Panel has PZB Sifa switch on or off

3. Jo_Kim

Jo_Kim Well-Known Member

Whilst the BR 245 is part of the Traxx family the interior and exterior differ quite a lot from its electric siblings.
    BR 146 (electric) cab:
    [​IMG]
    BR 245 (diesel) cab:
    [​IMG]

Also, the only button you mentioned that is correct, according to the real locomotive, is the AFB switch. The isolation switches for PZB and SiFa can be found in the engine room. The PZB category (O,M,U) is not selected by the driver. The driver enters the train data (length, brake setting, brake performance, max speed) into to PZB computer and this will then calculate the right category for the train.

• Like Like x 3
  4. driverwoods#1787

Thank you for telling me about BR 245 AFB switch. For both PZB & SiFa switches should the game render the engine room for players that usually turn on both PZB & SiFa for realism including the Train computer for PZB modes? That is if DTG wanted Marschbahn in TSW2.

5. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Great suggestion. Some German diesel action would be a most welcome change.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Really like the route, I'll add it to the map later today! I especially like the BR 281, Vossloh DE 2700 and Siemens ER 20 due to their unique looks. The route has a lot of variety, and the car-shuttle is quite unique as far as I know.

7. jolojonasgames

curious how DTG will implement that. I really hope they don't do it automatically, but have the player do it, such things add immensely to the immersion and are just as important as sound and graphics for me in that regard.

8. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

Really good suggestion! And having the car-carrier services (or whatever you would call that) could make for some very interesting gameplay :)

9. driverwoods#1787

I agree and for the car carriers they're the Laaers 560 type from Main Spessart Bahn Aschaffenburg-Gemünden. What do Dovetail Games can do is actually take the MSB Laaers 560 car transporters then them up to DB BR 628 & DB BR 245 complete with Passenger coaches.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jo_Kim

Jo_Kim Well-Known Member

The cars on the Sylt Shuttle (motorail) are specially built Laaseks 555 cars which are only used with this service. The reason for that is that passengers don't leave their cars for the entire journey. The Laaseks 555 cars are equipped with permanently attached bridges between the cars to accelerate loading times, as well as safer barriers and more head clearance.
    On other motorail services in Germany, they use the Laaers 560 found on MSB because passengers are transported in normal coaches.
    Laaseks 555:
    [​IMG]
    Laaers 560:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  11. driverwoods#1787

Thank you for the answer speaking of Laaseks 555 can you couple them to a Diesel Mutiple Unit or not? Speaking of Diesel Multiple Units are there other types besides DB BR628 assigned to this route? Because if you owned this route you should be able to use them on Ruhr Sieg Osten Main Spessart Bahn Ruhr Sieg Nord & HRR

12. Jo_Kim

Jo_Kim Well-Known Member

The only DMU on this route is the BR 628 serving the Sylt Shuttle Plus service. This service is entirely useless, it starts at Bredstedt, drives to Niebüll is coupled to the motorail train, is driven to Sylt and has to be uncoupled again because it doesn't fit into a single platform. ANd you have to pay Intercity prices for it. Nobody uses this service, it's always empty. But DB uses it to get more trains on the line because whoever serves the longer route is allowed to send more trains.
    Here's a video from a German satire show talking about this services:
    There are other DMUs on the line, mostly BR 648 (Alstom Concordia LINT 41) but they all divert onto branch lines.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  13. jolojonasgames

I just wanted to get this post to the front page again, as the demand for German diesels seems to be rising :). This is a very unique route with interesting operations and rolling stock, and I'd love to see it come to TSW.

• Like Like x 2
  14. nberneck99

nberneck99 Well-Known Member

I am just learning about this island, this route would be a blast to drive!

15. krenz.christoph

krenz.christoph Well-Known Member

There is a new cab ride from Altona to Westerland with a 218 - amazing!