"master Key" For Usa Locomotives

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by pschlik, Sep 29, 2017.

1. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

For those who don't know, US locomotives do have a sort of a master key system. The Class 66 is quite close to the American setup; instead of an actual key, the reverser handle acts as a key. In the US, it's not quite as fancy as UK locomotives-removing the reverser handle does not instantly put a locomotive into trailing mode, really the only thing it does is prevent the reverser from being moved. (Meaning, if you don't have a reverser handle, you can not get an American train moving. It'll stay in neutral.)

But as something that is a big part of the American setup, it does seem odd to not be there, considering how much of everything else in the MU setup IS there. Even in the sim, you see plates on the EMDs telling you "Reverser handle must be removed when unit is in trailing position." For something that must be done, it seems odd to not be simulated, while still having plates to tell you to do something you can't.
    20170928224728_1.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  2. Karl456

Karl456 Member

I completely agree.
    Already when I was driving American Locos in TS 20xx I wondered about the plate with the instruction to remove the reverser when the unit is in trailing position. Doing some research I got to know about the described system and when TSW was announced to be released with an American route I was almost sure that such a "small" detail wouldn't be missing: After all TSW wanted to create a revolutionary level of detail. Unfortunately, this small feature hasn't been added to TSW yet, although I am sure that it wouldn't be too much work - in the end it isn't much more than one more switch, one more function to add.
    I am really looking forward to see this missing detail, which would make the simulation US railroading even more realistic, in TSW soon, especially because a similar function has already been added to the Class 66, so it would be even less work to do.