Metro North Hudson Line

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Blue Fred, Oct 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USRailFan007

USRailFan007 Well-Known Member

Ah. I knew that xD

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lawjester

Lawjester Well-Known Member

I think we’d all rather our routes in TSW especially the Hudson Line because the UE4 would shoot the scenery through the roof! With the Hudson River and the bridges, this route and scenery is gonna be so breathtaking and amazing!

• Like Like x 5
  3. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

The fidelity of TSW would have this route along with it's trains looking quite majestic. That is for sure. Being able to ride along as passenger with the option of taking over as the operator. That is something to dream about. But I'll certain take it for TS2018. All they gotta do, is get with the program.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Lawjester

I don’t see why anything would hold DTG back from making it. I’m pretty sure they still hold a license with the Metro North or MTA in general because I’m sure it hasn’t expired yet (if it ever does). I’m hoping it’s with the MTA and not just with MNRR so we can also get LIRR DLC as well.

• Like Like x 3
  5. NEC_FanRailer

NEC_FanRailer New Member

Back when I lived in NYC, I use to commute up and down the Hudson line aleast 2 times a month to visit family and friends, living near Beacon station. If this route ever came to be in TSW, it'd be amazing to see all that beautifull scenery along the route. It'd be nostalgic in my case, specifically. It's been quite along time. I'm sure plenty of people living in the area, as I can already tell from this forum post, would love to see it made as well. Hoping it does, very much so!

• Like Like x 4
  6. USRailFan007

Firstly, welcome to the forums. Secondly, we're all hoping (those of us interested in the route) for some sort of miracle on DTG's part in regards to some insight about the route, as I've mentioned somewhere on the previous page. It is a brilliantly scenic route indeed and its been talked about for quite sometime. Let alone, been suggested more than a couple of times in the past (train sim 20xx). Hopefully, it'll happen sometime in the near future.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Lawjester

Honestly I just can’t wait for this route to be released. We haven’t gotten Metro North content since 2014 for the NYNH route and we need more! I’ve definitely gotten quite tired of driving on North Jersey Coast/Morristown lines and the NYNH and we need more NYC MTA commuter train routes! We have so many new opportunities with TSW now like, incredible scenery with UE4, service mode which is based off of the real schedule, being able to be a passenger or take control of the train and many more. I’m really hoping that DTG starts taking TSW as another chance or a clean slate to make a come back and improve in the many ways that they didn’t in the past. It has been quite slow in terms of releasing content but the game has only been around for a year. They released Rapid Transit only 3 months after the release of GWE which I thought was pretty impressive and I believe we’ll be getting more content quite soon, if they are following that type of release schedule. I’m really hoping DTG starts making an effort in the audio department because if they’re to get it right it would be so awesome. I love the audio for the M7 and the automated announcements that come with it. If I were DTG, and I wanted to see what the community wants, I’d look right at these forums and I’d see Metro North Hudson Line right at the top of the page with 16 upvotes and well over 1500 views. If any route has a good chance it’s this one because of the overwhelming amount of support it’s getting. We also have yet to see a US passenger route for TSW and I’m hoping this is a candidate for a release in that category. Also we must give credit to Blue Fred for making this great proposal and know that when this route is released he played a major role in the decision making for DTG, so thank you. Again I see a bright future for this route and I’m hoping we get it in the near future.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  8. NEC_FanRailer

NEC_FanRailer New Member

The sooner it releases, the better!

• Like Like x 4
  9. USRailFan007

On board with everything you've said above Lawjester. Couldn't agree more. It seems like they've been pushing some test builds for their upcoming DLC according to https://steamdb.info/app/530070/depots/. We'll find out hopefully within a week or two since that three month period you mentioned between DLC releases, is soon to come. As you also said, we're lacking in the passenger services department for a US route, so hopefully, this has been the likely candidate due to popularity, ever increasing. And as Blue Fred stated at the start of this post, its got some Amtrak services running the line via NY: GCT - Albany (but would terminate at Poughkeepsie due to length of the route). In turn, this would also satisfy some people's desires for Amtrak operations as well (to start off the long list of Amtrak locos and services they'd eventually implement in game, as more dlcs get released).

• Like Like x 4
  10. Lawjester

Wow!! That link is very exciting and makes me very hopeful for the very soon future.

• Like Like x 3
  11. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

Referencing steam database, quite clever...there tends to be a lot in there. Though referencing build updates isn't too interesting... Achievements are what really tell a lot. I have seen some unreleased DLC have "hidden" achievements that certain sites can dig up...and sometimes there is some unannounced stuff in there. Problem is, usually achievements only come after something is announced, and on the other side, the steam db is super vague.

• Like Like x 2
  12. USRailFan007

Absolutely true, pschlik. It's pretty vague, as you said no doubt. However, at this point, its the best we've got thus far, being that DTG themselves, wants to keep a tight lid on any piece of information regarding upcoming dlc, from making its way out into the public. Which is unfortunate, but it's what we have to put up with until they decide to proceed differently.

• Like Like x 3
  13. rare_common_sense

I kinda hate to burst a bubble. As much as I would like to see this route in TSW, I highly suspect their next offering will be an Amtrak based route. If they're gonna go with a passenger route, Amtrak would be a sure bet,, seeing as Amtrak is commonly offered with routes hosting passenger services. Sure the Hudson line does host a few of their services. But, I doubt they'll start with a regional commuter route. I do see this route making its way to TS2018 before it is ever graced in the fidelity of TSW. I would be much happier honestly to see it TS because it's more established, and would fill in the many gaps still left in TS. I still dream of seeing Hudson/Harlem/New Haven Services passing each other on the Park Ave stretch that is on the NYNH route. I still want to see the M2/3/4/6/7's grace the rails of TS.

As old as TS is, it really still have so much life left in it. Though it is in dire need of fixes to some its core functionality. But there are SO many voids to be filled in TS. Still want a LIRR route/network in TS as well. TSW still has a ways to go before it ever reaches where TS2018 is now.

• Like Like x 2
  14. NEC_Male_TC

NEC_Male_TC Active Member

No I think the Hudson Line can be a good educated guess of what Dovetail Games' first American passenger-majority route for Train Sim World will be. Lots of (not a few) run on it in the real world. I can name many that do or did: The Lake Shore Limited, the Empire Service, the Ethan Allen Express, the Adirondack as well as the discontinued Niagara Rainbow.

The great thing about the Hudson Line is that Dovetail Games can just include the same locomotive model for passenger trains and just include two versions of it, an Amtrak version and a Metro-North version. Either a GE P32AC-DM Genesis or an EMD FL9 in that case. So it actually saves money in order to make a/the route since it would be the same class of locomotive and have it in two different roadnames in the route's default package. Then they include a Metro-North Shoreliner cab car to complete the Metro-North trains.

• Like Like x 4
  15. rare_common_sense

Ha! Well, I mean, it doesn't hurt to dream. But, all I'm saying is, that it's too early in game (literally and figuratively) to expect a route like this to introduced in TSW, much less it being their next offering. We will know soon enough. But when it is announced, just remember what was said in this thread. I just don't have high expectations for the next offering, though I'm sure it will look good, but that is about it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lawjester

If DTG were to see one route on the proposal forums that is trending it’s the Hudson Line. That’s what the people want and it will suit most who want commuter and Amtrak content. By making the Hudson line, DTG also has Penn and GCT made so that in the future when they’re ready to release more content they have them done already.

• Like Like x 2
  17. USRailFan007

To build on what NEC_Male_TC said, the Amtrak Maple leaf as well, that runs from Toronto Canada, down the line via Albany, into NYC. Also hosts some CSX operation up and down the line, which i'm sure most of you already knew. CSX locos include GP40-2, SD40-2, (which are already in game). This route would be ideal for the next US route DLC expansion. Will we get it? Only DTG holds that answer as of now.

• Like Like x 4
  18. USRailFan007

A wise man once said, "Don't let your dreams be dreams. Just, DO IT!". ~Shia Labeouf. So DTG... this is for you! Make our dreams come true!

• Like Like x 2
  19. rare_common_sense

We'll sooner get it via TS before TSW, though. They have a little something to build off of with the NYNH.

• Like Like x 2
  20. USRailFan007

Honestly, if they did make it for TS 20xx, i'd still take it (as would most of us) rather than not having it made whatsoever. But if it does drop for TSW, more power to them.

• Like Like x 4
  21. rare_common_sense

I would be happier with it on TS2018, simply because, it will accompany what's already been made, and add more variety. If this were to be done on TSW, you'll want more, and you'll say "Well, why couldn't they have done this for TS2018, when we have more content to use it with?" You make a route like this for TSW, and you'll only be supplied one loco (two if they do Amtrak) that operates out of such a busy terminal (GCT), along a busy Park Ave stretch.. it's not going to feel like the Hudson line.

• Like Like x 1
  22. USRailFan007

M7A and the P32AC-DM MTA are all we'd need to start off with the route. Or just the P32AC-DM with the shoreliner cars, honestly (just to start). They could easily incorporate Phase III and V livery to the P32 loco. Then bam, Amtrak has been officially introduced to TSW (while also creating the respective rolling stock Amfleet I coach cars, when switching to the Amtrak livery for service). Of course nobody, not even I, expects them to go all out and introduce every aspect of the route and expect it to be exactly like the real life version of the route, from the getgo. It'll take time obviously but, we would have something to work with, for the time being. Either way, once its made, we'll all be happy campers. Till then, we'll keep on suggesting and discussing ideas regarding the route amidst ourselves; until someone from DTG decides to drop some knowledge or insight.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

The question really is whether you want this released into TSW now or a bit later down the line when TSW is in a better place?

Lawjester has mentioned audio a few times but the problem with audio in the game is the poor sound engine inside UE4. DTG are waiting for Unreal to bring out the new audio engine, which is being worked on. Until then TSW won't be able to replicate sounds too accurately. If you've played GWE you'll have noticed to two-tone horn will often not sound the second tone; it's because the audio engine has run out of available sound channels.

I don't doubt that this route would look great in TSW but I'm sure everyone wants it done right.

• Like Like x 4
  24. Lawjester

If this route was decided to be made on TS then I’d want DTG to add more detail to any of the existing track and stations that they have.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Lawjester

If DTG can’t get the audio exactly right with this then I’d rather wait until they with the new engine release fo Unreal.

• Like Like x 3
  26. pschlik

Also, if DTG were to do this in TSW it would likely end in Coroton. If anything is evident with the routes we have right now, DTG will not provide the money or time to make a 70 mile route (in the current condition of TSW, that is).

• Like Like x 4
  27. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

Hopefully, if DTG was to only make the route as far as Coroton, they will expand it to Poughkeepsie at a later date when they do have the time and resources to build longer routes.

• Like Like x 1
  28. pschlik

Well, I do think that the intention is to invest into a more expansion-capable system in TSW, but time will tell what they do choose to expand. GWE has a lot of requests to move out...including some silly requests to go all the way to Bristol, so they might be the first thing to expand...but variety is often chosen over doing more of the same thing.

• Like Like x 5
  29. Lawjester

Well I’d rather get it to Croton then not get it at all. Also I personally would really spend most of my time anyway driving the M7’s and M3’s because those are my favorite trains so I wouldn’t particularly mind GCT-Croton Harmon for the time being and hope they will expand at a later date. I know that others don’t view the same opinion as me which is fine, but that’s what this community is for, to put your opinions and request down.

• Like Like x 1
  30. rare_common_sense

You’ll certainly get no argument from me. I would love to operate either of those two trains you mentioned myself. Especially the latter (M3’s).

• Like Like x 6
  31. TrainSim-Jay

TrainSim-Jay Guest

Awesome proposal! And a route that we are very fond of here in the DTG headquarters, good to see so much enthusiasm around this thread.

I'll raise this with the relevant guys, can't promise we'll be making it any time soon, but it's certainly possible it could make its way to TSW one day ;)

- Jay

• Like Like x 8
  32. USRailFan007

Fantastic Jay.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 6
  33. NJT Railfan

NJT Railfan Well-Known Member

I'm excited now! But I know it will take a long time.

• Like Like x 2
  34. Lawjester

Well we know their is new DLC coming soon and I believe it’s the Hudson Line. By Jay saying that he’ll pitch it to the devs just means that he can’t confirm yes or no so the Hudson line can be in production now but Jay just can’t say anything hinting to it.

• Like Like x 2
  35. NJT Railfan

NJT Railfan Well-Known Member

yeah, i know. But i'm guessing its most likely since the crew is "very fond" of the route.

• Like Like x 3
  36. AyrtonS8

AyrtonS8 Well-Known Member

TrainSim-Jay just said that they "cant promise we'll be making it any time soon" which, to me, says they haven't even started making it or even considered it. So I don't know how people can say that they are making it and even saying its the next release. Also we don't even know that the next release will even be a Route, could just be a Loco release or even something totally different.

I know I would love to see the route I suggested for TSW being made but I'm not go as far as to say that they are making it or going to make it. There are lots of other routes that are a very easy choice for DTG to make first.

• Like Like x 4
  37. NorthernStarRails

NorthernStarRails New Member

As much as I would love to see an Acela Express bound route (NYC to PHL remake or NH to Boston) come first, I wouldn't mind having the Hudson Line either. It's a very beautiful route. It can take them whatever length of time to make the route itself, so long as its accurate and covers the distance, up to Croton Harmon at least. Going to Poughkeepsie could come later as DLC.

• Like Like x 4
  38. Lawjester

As I’m all for the Hudson line I’m not for a remake of the NEC because it’s pointless to have to make DTG remake the route when it’s been done for TS and they could be doing a different route for us. To me most of the NEC is boring especially the section from NYC-PHL/WAS because of the lack of scenery. I feel that DTG needs to fill the LIRR void that they’ve also left out for quite some time now and is the only remaining Railroad that operates out of Penn station that has not been done. Although the LIRR does not have Amtrak it would be such an awesome route with tons of scenery and so would the Hudson line, both things that have never been touched by DTG!

• Like Like x 5
  39. USRailFan007

Yeah, a remake of NY-PHL wouldn't be ideal for TSW. Atleast, not on DTG's part. Wouldn't say the route was boring persay (just my opinion) but it definitely lacked much of the scenery that is exclusive to the route, as Lawjester puts it. It would be awesome, however, if it could possibly be redone by a third party, after the tools and appropriate assets are out for creating routes but, further down the line rather than immediate. There are many routes that have yet to be made which deserve attending to. Don't think DTG should remake the route when something like the Hudson, LIRR or any other route (pertaining to other countries as well), could be done in its stead.

P.S. Welcome to the forums NorthernStar.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  40. cali100001

cali100001 Member

Hi, I'm new here. Definitely agreed on the M7A and P32AC-DM trainsets, and most certainly will need them highly detailed and accurate with every switch functional, for example, the HEP feature that is absent in the currently half-made P42DC for TS2017. Basically we need brand new of the following designed by DTG:

Metro-North M2 (powered)
    Metro-North M3A (powered)
    Metro-North M7A
    Metro-North M8
    Metro-North P32AC-DM + Functional powered Shoreliners

Amtrak P32AC-DM
    Amtrak P42DC + Functional powered Amfleet Cars and Cafe

And now on to the routes! Yes, it would be wonderful if DTG considers the MTA Hudson Line. Start us off with Grand Central - Poughkeepsie and all the Metro-North fleets I mentioned above - some of those fleets will also be AI trains in their respective locations, example...from GCT up to let's say 125th street, you'll see a blend of M2s, M3As, M7As and M8s. After leaving the shared tracks and merging into the Hudson Line after 125th St, you will only be seeing the MTA P32s, M7As, M3As and once in a blue, Amtrak (p32). :) DTG, please read this!

While we're enjoy the beautiful and accurate Hudson Line with great functional trains, DTG continues working from Poughkeepsie all the way up to Albany - Rensselaer (85 additional miles), and add Amtrak's tracks from the Bronx into 34th St. Penn Station. From this point on, it becomes an Amtrak route. After Albany, DTG works on both Maple Leaf and Adirondack extensions North, so now we've got the Metro-North Hudson line, Amtrak Maple Leaf line and Amtrak Adirondack line!

Do you know how epic this would be? This would be the largest and epic US Routes released on any Train Simulator history! Dovetail Games, please please please consider this! Everyone who's reading, why don't we do some fund raising for DTG?

• Like Like x 5
  41. Lawjester

As awesome as it would be to get all that content, it’s very unrealistic especially for DTG. If you look at the past routes that were made like the NEC for TS, they never put in the New Haven to Boston section or Philly to Washington section. We still are missing the LIRR and I’m really hoping it’s a big priority for DTG because it makes up a huge absence. I have a feeling that when they make the Hudson line: NYC to Poughkeepsie we’ll be lucky to maybe get an extension to Albany but it’s unlikely. Great info DTG could use the extra info just to refer back to make sure they get it right!

• Like Like x 1
  42. cali100001

cali100001 Member

Hi, Lawjester. I know it seems like a hefty project, but I strongly believe DTG can whip that up quickly. Once we have a completed Metro-North Hudson Line (GCT -> POU) , all that's left is... well, another 310 miles of route to make. I guess that isn't possible then... :(

*sighs*

• Like Like x 2
  43. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

Last night Matt said it would take two years of continuous development with absolutely nothing else worked on for TSW. So, no, it isn't possible.

https://www.twitch.tv/mattpeddlesden

For those that don't know; Matt is a Senior Producer on TSW and a streamer.

• Like Like x 2
  44. USRailFan007

I assume you're referring to the LIRR. It would definitely be an undertaking on DTG's part and i do agree, the entire thing would be impossible on their part, alone. Atleast, when it comes to making it all of its branches. They could do definitely engage in creating a single branch at some point in the future. If not, some third parties definitely could engage in creating it a branch at a time, once the creation tools are necessary assets, are available. Would still take a long time before we would see any of that come to fruition though. Time will tell.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  45. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

I was referring to the above mentioned by Cali.

I don't think DTG would do the entirety of the LIRR in one go either but I'm sure they'll do part of it at some point.

• Like Like x 2
  46. USRailFan007

Ah, I see. Um, yeah. 310 miles worth of track for one incredibly route via TSW, produced solely by DTG, won't be seen in our lifetime; or the next, cali lool. But the Hudson line (GCT-Poughkeepsie) hopefully will. :)

• Like Like x 2
  47. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

As it stands right now, it takes a lot longer for DTG to make content with the Unreal Editor than with the TS1 editor. They have a timeline for route releases (seems to be at a 3 month cadence right now) which restricts them to routes of certain lengths. You'll see shorter routes in areas harder to develop (urban centers) and longer routes in rural areas with little variety in scenery. That's not going to change until DTG improves their processes and gets route editor created. It can't be easy doing all of this in Unreal Editor. I have worked personally with Unreal Engine and it's great for making huge landscapes but I can see how doing decoration would be time consuming.

So if the Hudson line was made for TSW, it would only be a small portion of the whole route.

They are constantly improving their processes and the upcoming route editor should help drastically.

• Like Like x 1
  48. Piussi

Piussi Well-Known Member

If i read Jay's quote then i'm expecting that they have become familiar enough to bring bigger routes out. And things at a more faster rate?

• Like Like x 2
  49. Lawjester

Where did he say this? It surprises me because if they choose a smaller branch on the LIRR it really would not be difficult. They’ve made routes on networks that are big like GWE and RT. It is certainly possible but I think DTG is over exaggerating.

• Like Like x 1
  50. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

I think a few people are getting confused, so let me clarify.

While Matt was doing his stream yesterday a few of us were talking about the idea that cali has about doing the entire route from New York to Albany or the entire NEC. Matt stated that would take two years of continuous development with no other work conducted on TSW in the meantime and that it wouldn't be feasible.

We didn't really talk about the LIRR only to say there's an enthusiastic following for it on these forums.

• Like Like x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.