Microsoft Flight Simulator G O T Y Edition

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Reef, Jul 1, 2022.

1. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Any virtual pilots here?
    Is it all it's cracked up to be?
    Is it easy to get started with as a novice? I did play the old Flight Sim (FS9 aka FS 2004) many many years ago with some modicum of success (i.e. I didn't crash every time I tried to land, at least 1 in 10 were successful..)

If I get it I'll probably get the Premium Deluxe GOTY Edition which in the current sale is £87.99 as it has 10 extra aircraft and an additional 10 handcrafted airports that includes Heathrow, I don't intend going all out on DLC and payware like I have with TS so I'm hoping the one purchase would be it (hence the premium deluxe version off the bat).

I could easily spend that £88 on TS content of which 90% I'd probably never use lol, just trying to decide if MFS is worth the price tag even at sale price.

2. Craigie-C

Craigie-C Well-Known Member

I don't have the latest MFS but was totally addicted to the earlier FSX version.
    It can be easy for a beginner, as in real life, start to master something like a Cessna or equivalent and then work your way up to the larger more complicated aircraft.
    The hardest part to master is not getting sucked in to buying aditional 3rd party addons which are extremely addictive and hard to stay away from.

• Like Like x 1
  3. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I totally fell for X-Plane 11. Best flight physics you can get - actually calculated by the model's structure, not hardcoded parameters. Brilliant simulator by a brilliant developer. Austin Meyer, one of the craziest guys in the business, explosively enthusiastical.

Add the freeware Zibo 737 and you're in simulator heaven. There's nothing closer to reality in simulation overall. Absolute peak.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Craigie-C

Craigie-C Well-Known Member

TORF - Will you please not post this type of content on this forum.
    I have only just pulled myself away from flightsim X to concentrate on TSC and then you come on here with this kind of posting which now makes me want to buy a new pooter and huge SSD so I can explore X=Plane 11.
    Have you no concern for fellow addicts' budgets and time commitments. LOL
    Must admit I have heard it is amazing, just never had chance to try it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Reef, I was wondering the same. Reviews are very mixed about MSFS2020.
    FS2004: A century of Flight was also my first flight sim and I loved it. I still have it but can't install it now as none of my systems have a CD-ROM and the product key probably won't work now as I had to activate it several times on different laptops/desktops due to HDD failures.

I never paid for any add-ons but had loads of free stuff and extra aircraft and real life livery reskins.

6. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

The Wife just bought it me for my birthday so it didn't even dent my TS funds in the end.. :)

7. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Be warned it took me 4 & 1/2hrs to download the game via the Microsoft installer (not the Steam part which only downloads the installer software @ 1.02Gb), I think my broadband was a little janky yesterday but still it was nearly a 100GiBs (not a typo btw it is GiBs not Gb's there is a difference)

One of the complaints I'd heard about was that you cannot Steam refund the game because the installer registers as time played on Steam so I'd clocked up nearly 5hrs before I'd even sat in the seat of the training Cessna, just a warning to those who buy things and then decide it wasn't a good idea instead of thinking on it before purchase or those not understanding the spec requirements and so on.

Fair to say I think I'm going to clock up a fair few hours in this sim.

8. jayz

jayz New Member

Just remember to install all the free dlc's in the marketplace

9. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Funnily enough I've just done exactly that before coming back on the forum.

Edit: My Flight Sim install is now at 194Gb :|

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022