Midland Mainline - Leicester To Derby & Nottingham

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Feb 5, 2023.

1. lcyrrjp

lcyrrjp Well-Known Member

I’m in two minds whether this is a ‘day one’ purchase for me or not. Although the era is more recent than usually interests me, the HST and 158 are both trains with a bit of character to them - much less ‘plastic’ than most of the UK trains produced for TSW of late - and I’m looking forward to them.

On the other hand, a 20 minute journey between Leicester and Derby or Nottingham just feels ridiculously short. As a Driver you would not take over one of these services then be relieved 20 mins later, and it just feels as if it’s going to take away from the immersion. A bit like playing a demo - fine to understand what’s on offer to make a decision whether to buy, but surely not the full, final product.

I think I’m going to hold off to see what others make of the physics on the 158 particularly (I’m assuming the HST will be OK as the performance of the real thing is not massively different to the Valenta version, so they barely need to change anything) before deciding. Assuming, that is, that not everybody does that. We’ll look a bit silly if we’re all sat around waiting for each other’s reviews before buying.

• Like Like x 2
  2. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

What we don't know though is when the April roadmap is: for all we know it may have been pushed back to the end of April. ;);)

3. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Im not worried about the route it self. Looking at cane creek, for me its one of the few routes in tsw makes you believe to actually be in that desert.

For those have tried a freight train hop in the evening sunset, its just stunning the visuals.

(Skyhook and rolling stock is a different topic..unfortunately)

4. johnmcglade17

johnmcglade17 Active Member

I don't think it's coming out before the next round map

5. SteveRail

SteveRail Well-Known Member

Yep that’s exactly where I am, route just seems a bit meh to me. Understand folk that know I it might be more keen though. Probably a sale purchase for me, post any issue resolution.

• Like Like x 1
  6. orb

orb Well-Known Member

But the roadmap doesn't need to be in the 1st week of April. I think the next roadmap will be after and not before Easter.

7. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Just wondering why it is called Midland Mainline. The Midland Mainline franchise ended in 2007 and this route is set in the East Midlands Trains era.

8. olly.smail

olly.smail Well-Known Member

because the route is part of the midland mainline?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. Scott295

Scott295 Well-Known Member

Midland Mainline is the name of the route (in real life), called so because it connects the cities of the midlands with London, as the East Coast Mainline connects the east of England and Scotland to London and the West Coast Mainline connects the west of England and Scotland to London.

What else would you call it? :D

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I always like to add my own little finishing touches to routes, which developers may not be able to do ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. londonmidland

Midland Mainline was the franchise name that ran the service many years ago, who were taken over by East Midlands Trains and to this day, by East Midlands Railway.

The actual line is called the Midland Mainline, just like you have the East Coast Mainline, West Coast Mainline etc.

• Helpful Helpful x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Midland mainline sounds better than "the 21miles of track laid by Garth south of nottingham" to be fair

• Like Like x 5
  13. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Im in 2 minds over this route and havent decided if its day1 purchase or not.

On one hand its made by the studio that created the amazing visuals in Cane Creek and the very solid (if unspectacular and with its faults) Horseshoe Curve.

But on the other hand its also made by the same studio as the BR187......

• Like Like x 1
  14. olly.smail

olly.smail Well-Known Member

i’ve decided i don’t do day one purchases anymore after my rivet edinburgh glasgow experience

• Like Like x 3
  15. londonmidland

My best advice would be to wait for any livestreams, videos and reviews before making a day one purchase.

• Like Like x 4
  16. MAX1319

MAX1319 Well-Known Member

For me it was after NYT. Never again. Well actually I didn’t buy it until just this week and I’m glad I did. At 45% discount

17. MAX1319

I have this route in TSC. To be honest without turbostars,voyagers,and super voyagers I’m afraid this will be another empty route

• Like Like x 3
  18. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

Indeed, I have the same concerns. Obviously, while a lack of rolling stock is to be expected for brand-new areas in TSW - though with any new route I'd like to see DTG expand with more modular routes in the same area for a network and thus more trains to add to a timetable etc.

• Like Like x 1
  19. matt#4801

At least there are going to be two different pieces of rolling stock though.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

All I can say is thank goodness we aren't going to see this one shoved out in unceremonious style next week half-finished with a flurry of promises for future fixes. If I see anyone grumbling about "delays" I shall point them to the last few releases and say be careful what you wish for.

• Like Like x 4
  21. londonmidland

Personally I’m looking forward to driving the Class 158 the most. It’s a 45 minute journey for the local stopping services between Leicester and Nottingham, calling at all the intermediate Ivanhoe stations along the line.

• Like Like x 4
  22. lcyrrjp

lcyrrjp Well-Known Member

Yes, I think the proportion of trains in the timetable they are able to include will be higher than any route for some time.

I’m assuming all London trains will be included, operated by HSTs. I know in reality some of them would have been Meridians in the era chosen, but HSTs frequently operated both the Nottingham and the Sheffield services so it’s reasonable to have HSTs on all of them in the absence of a Meridian.

Then the 158s are reasonably appropriate for most of the slower services. Even those which might actually have been booked a 156 or whatever could well have had a 158 on them on occasions.

The number of passenger trains on the route on which either a 158 or an HST would be completely inappropriate is small. They have plenty of options to throw in some freight trains if they want to as well.

• Like Like x 1
  23. matt#4801

Yes hopefully Skyhook will be able to deliver on the timetable as this does seem like a golden opportunity to make a very close to full timetable without too many compromises(apart from as you say the meridians).
    Time will tell though!!

• Like Like x 1
  24. MAX1319

I hope you are right. I remember having the same optimism with NJT which I know is DTG and not skyhook. But if I was a betting man I would had bet that DTG would had done a great timetable for NYT.I’m not sure I share the same optimism now….l

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
  25. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

Don't set your expectations high, that way, you won't be disappointed on release

• Like Like x 4
  26. can not wait until u do the pack u will deliver like always look forward to seeing that and showcasing it on my you tube channel once again buddy

• Like Like x 1
  27. londonmidland

You guys are going to like this one ;)

• Like Like x 2
  28. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

No I'm not.

(Xbox player) ;):(

I'm just jealous.

• Like Like x 1
  29. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

It was never given a release date, it was only ever guess work.

30. marcsharp2

It will be for me as Leicester is my home and I've done those journeys thousands of times, yeah the distance may not be great but it is fast north of Leicester, the stopping service is fascinating as well and I'm looking forward to it.

• Like Like x 1
  31. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

It was stated as coming before the next roadmap (April 6th), which seems highly unlikely now (unless it releases on the 6th).

32. marcsharp2

What DTG say and what they do are two very different things, for instance how long has HST livery designer been "almost ready" for release?

• Like Like x 4
  33. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

saw it only had 108 services/scenarios on the linke rheinstrecke stream, think you’re right

34. Scott295

I have a feeling the trusty old EWS class 66 will get dusted off for another outing on this route and the ROG 37 is nailed on given that they are based in Derby.

• Like Like x 1
  35. marcsharp2

Voyagers don't operate on the route and would only be seen as AI traffic departing Derby for Birmingham so only on screen for a few seconds. Cross Country Turbostars would be AI between Leicester and Syston Junction and only drivable between Derby and Nottingham.

• Like Like x 1
  36. theBrummieTSWDriver

theBrummieTSWDriver Active Member

It's possibly the reason why the ROG 37 was created?

• Like Like x 4
  37. marcsharp2

I'd be amazed if the RHTT isn't part of the route as well. Considering ROG on SEHS as services to and from Derby I'd say they are a definite as well.

38. mldaureol2

mldaureol2 Well-Known Member

The figure above sounds about right for Leicester Station.
    Each hour there are 2 trains to Sheffield, 2 trains to Nottingham, 2 trains from Birmingham with 1 train extended to Stanstead Airport.
    There is also an hourly all stations service to Nottingham with the Class 158 emu.
    That makes 14 Passenger trains an hour through Leicester.
    However we don’t have the stock (class 170) for the Birmingham services.
    If you then add in the freight services on the route, then the figure of 108 services in the 12/18 hour Timetable sounds about right.
    Mike.

• Like Like x 2
  39. Scott295

Yes, the RHTT should be there but I was talking mainly about freight traffic generated by the DB (EWS at the time of the route) depot at Toton. Even if they don't include the yard I think they have to acknowledge the EWS branded traffic it generates on the MML.

• Like Like x 1
  40. mldaureol2

mldaureol2 Well-Known Member

Well hopefully ROG’s depot at Leicester (Lip) will be included when the route is previewed.
    Mike.

• Like Like x 2
  41. marcsharp2

Yeah it's an incredibly busy route now with freight, traffic in and out of Toton, Liner traffic, Traffic in and out of Ratcliffe etc etc plus anything else like the Network Rail stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  42. orb

orb Well-Known Member

Was the date of the roadmap announced?

43. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

First Thursday of every month.

44. londonmidland

This route offers a number of sidings and yards, which can offer countless future layering opportunities, be it driver playable or AI/portal only. It certainly isn’t an isolated, one-type-of-train-like route.

Sidings and depots featured in real life along the route:

- Leicester LIP (home of UKRL & previously Europhoenix/ROG) ROG 37 opportunities? Class 66s can also occasionally be seen here for attention)
    - Leicester Humberstone Road (Layover for aggregate & intermodal freight, as well as test trains)
    - Mountsorrel Sidings (Large aggregate works. Lots of Class 66 work)
    - Loughborough Brush Works (Occasional Class 92 drags for modifications)
    - Ratcliffe Power Station (Regular Coal flows. Mainly GBRf operated but could sub for EWS/DB)
    - Toton (Massive Freight hub for DB. Regular Aggregates and engineers flows)
    - Beeston Engineers Sidings
    - (Beeston Scrap Metal sidings
    - Nottingham Eastcroft Depot (Home of the EMT Class 15x fleet for light maintenance and stabling)
    - Derby Etches Park - (Home of the InterCity and Regional fleet for heavy maintenance and stabling)
    - Derby RTC - (Home of Network Rail’s test trains as well as ROG)
    - Derby Chaddesden Sidings (Used occasionally for EMT ECS moves for reversals)

If we could have BOTH DB and EWS 66 featured, that would be great as we haven’t seen the EWS 66 featured on TSW routes in a fair while now.

• Like Like x 6
  45. MAX1319

Yup. I hear you.

46. LTEcactus

LTEcactus Active Member

The Lincoln to Leicester stoppers were booked for both 158s and 156s. They each had separate diagrams. I think it was a 60/40 split on favour of the 156.

Of course in reality there was the chance of getting both a Cummins or Perkins 158, as EMT had both types, however I think they had more Cummins so having this variant better. The Perkins would have been easier to develop as they share the same engines as the 166

• Like Like x 2
  47. redlichtie#1320

redlichtie#1320 Member

Like you, I'm from Leicester, so interested to see how accurate they make the route seem. I know the route well and how the stations should look. When a player knows a route like the back of your hand, then it could be hard to not be overly critical if blaring errors are made. Hope they do a top job.

• Like Like x 2
  48. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

A delay to a route has to be seen in a positive light these days. If DTG decide it’s not ready, then perhaps it’s because they’ve actually listened to the community, who are rightfully getting seriously wazzed off with recent rushed and incomplete releases.

• Like Like x 3
  49. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Yeah, Niddertalbahn gets away with being short because of the mind blowing detail and the fact an all stations run takes 55 minutes to do 21 miles. But I don’t see that paradigm working with a UK main line, especially if the stock turns out to be flawed.

• Like Like x 4
  50. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

They’ve not announced a release date yet so what makes you think there’s a delay? I do agree though that I would prefer a delay than a rushed and incomplete release.

• Like Like x 2