Milwaukee Road's Least Known Route The Olympic Peninsula Suggestion

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by evanhinkle1, Apr 23, 2021.

1. evanhinkle1

evanhinkle1 New Member

I would love to see Milwaukee Road's least known route the OLYMPIC PENINSULA. The route officially started in Seattle, Washington and crossed the Puget Sound via Ferry to Port Townsend where the Line officially starts and travels 68.2 Miles to Disque which is the furthest documented distance the route went, there were Passenger stops at Joyce, Port Angeles, Sequim, and Port Townsend there was a branch line to Quilcene that was supposed to be the original Main Line connecting Port Townsend with Olympia that was abandoned by the railroad after 23 years of operation 1891 to 1914 or 1915, the line between Port Townsend and Disque was completed around 1916 and was in operation mostly with freight until the 1980s, the best map I could find was from 1917 this extends the line 10.3 miles to the town of twin, making the total length 78.5 Miles, this was mostly forests and mountains with stretches along the water and a section in Port Angeles where the tracks went right down the middle of the street next to the Port Angeles ferry terminal except for the few towns and cities, I don't see this as an extremely difficult route to model except for lack of documentation. although passenger trains that were also operated not a lot of documentation is known other than this was a non-electrified portion of the Milwaukee road the only documented Locomotive that I came across was a Milwaukee Road SD9 high nose. There is better documentation of the equipment used by the Seattle and North Coast Railroad that operated the line for the last four years until the line was finally abandoned. Locomotives and equipment for the Seattle and North Coast Railroad include a single Baldwin DS-4-4-6 number 51, a single EMD SW-1 number 52, two EMD SW-1200 numbers 55 and 56 Three F7A numbered 101, 102 and 103, a single SD-9 number 502, a single 25 ton Crane number 3, two 40 foot boxcars numbers X-983 and X-1211, a single tender from a steam locomotive number X-908160, a single crane flatcar numbered X-922226, and two barges MT-20 and MT-21 that were the same barges used during the Milwaukee Road's Operation in the area being in service from around 1916 to 1980s, almost all freight cars were box cars and logging cars I have also discovered that Seattle and North Coast Railroad had continued passenger service using streamliner cars. So with the little information from the time of the Milwaukee Road going with the Seattle and North Coast Railroad might be a better option as there is slightly more information. the best information comes about the line comes from a 1907 newspaper article and the limited photographs the barges appear to be four tracks from 1916 to 1980 they would come down to two and then one track on the wooden barge pier it would form a wye connecting to two tracks street running from the passenger terminal in Port Townsend this would then become a Single Track outside town to Discovery junction where the line became double track to Uncas, it then became three tracks for about a quarter of a mile before becoming double track again to Discovery Bay, where it becomes single track and remains single track into the city of Sequim where once again it becomes triple track for another quarter of a mile before reducing back to single track it would remain single track going to outside of Port Angeles where it becomes two tracks to Joyce and at least three tracks from Joyce to Disque. From Disque to Twin it appears to have been four tracks the entire way. The Bayside Yard in Port Angeles appears to have been six tracks and four through tracks on either side of the yard two to serve the papermill and two for the mainline for a total of eight tracks.
    The one thing that makes this route stand out is that it was started and was mostly funded by the local communities and not large investors.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  2. finntd#7891

finntd#7891 Well-Known Member

this is a good suggestion i would like to see a bit more formating in your post here to make things aq bit easier to read