Mp15-dc Documentation

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by mike.obrebski, May 29, 2022.

1. mike.obrebski

mike.obrebski Active Member

I found this useful documentation, to share.
    It is more specifically for the EMD SW1500, but the MP15 was based on the SW1500 and added a little wheelbase for using longer more common trucks.
    afaik, it is the same otherwise and this manual applies to all it covers.

Attached Files:

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Nice thanks. Always interested in operation manuals of the real locomotives.

3. meridian#2659

The forum has a file size limit. Else i would share the ac4400cw & dash 9 manual.

4. mike.obrebski

Oh.. I'd be very interested in those.
    You can upload to this Google Drive, if you have a Google account.
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1o-65uAFedS0fNj_5-AiZ-1rIDmhEjqny?usp=sharing
    I have Acrobat to minimize PDFs and could upload them here for you.
    Let me know if you can or can't do the upload there, and I could provide another means.

• Like Like x 1
  5. meridian#2659

Ok i uploaded a bunch of manuals, can you see them?

Tell me if you would be interessted in UK stuff.

Last edited: May 29, 2022
  6. mike.obrebski

Great stuff..
    I re-organized my train documents repository and added your contribution to the appropriate directory. A couple items were duplicates I already had. Your manuals are so large because they are straight scans. I did a basic optimization to a 25% size with no loss, and renamed the originals. I will further process to combine, OCR text to make searchable and indexed, and make some navigations bookmarks. I did that with a couple of the other manuals and my other aviation ones.

Here is the link to the repository and I'll make another post to make it available in general.
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1gaTLvG_840i-2ZvODh1o7h-cQ-7NLKQa?usp=sharing
    The upload directory link is the same as given earlier.

BTW, the manual covering all systems controls on the screens, shows how much more should be modeled. So now I'm annoyed at what's missing. Sometimes it's better to be ignorant. :)
    I wish there would be a train sim as detailed as many available aircraft for flight sims. The Airbus A320 I enjoy in XPlane is modeled down to every detail of the real thing. Only pros who currently fly it are able to find minor details wrong, and even the physics are accurate.
    If it's possible to make an excellent model of an aircraft with probably 10x the complexity and technology of a train, and sell it for $70, it should certainly be possible to make a train.

It's an excuse to hear that it's too difficult to model every system of a train in the game.

Last edited: May 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  7. meridian#2659

Yes the locomotives are modeled not even close to its full functionalities. Thats for every country and loco.

But for the 20-30 euros dtg delivers a solid and fun experience. Going in with 100% recreation and procedure means its probably not even fun for the 99% of hardcore simmer. Also some valves inside the engine room would only be closed under special circumstandes, so dtg would model a feature and spend time to something nobody even uses.

I call it the golden / sweet spot. An addon should be advanced enough and include some features beside the driving experience itself (fuses, slow speed cntrl, train lenght counter, main battery switch etc..).

Dtgs cl66, ac4400cw, gp38 and also many br diesels incl. the br 101 are good examples for beeing advanced enough.

Sd70 with no train lenght counter..., well i use a chart for the train lenght / speed for knowing my position, since its the only solution for no hud drivers. But pretty lazy to not implement this basic feature.

Well overall dtg has to find them self back to their good quality. For me as a customer its a little frustrating they cant even get tracksounds right anymore for their "successor" franchais.

• Like Like x 2
  8. meridian#2659

Ill upload some other manuals about uk related stuff today. If you play tsc it might be useful (cl60, 89, 90, 91, 313, hst). Also cl 31, 40, 45, 46, 47 in their original vacuum only configuration. Thats all the stuff cant be found anywhere.

German loco manuals from db or adtranz are available everywhere, but i can also upload them if you have a use.

9. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

How many copies of your A320 have been sold? It's often been pointed out that there are many, many more flightsim enthusiasts prepared to part with significant sums than there are for trainsim products.

10. meridian#2659

I put a little collection of UK Manuals inside the share folder. Im expecting a Cl.33, Cl50 and GWR HST Operating Manual soon, i can also update this.

Actually nice to see a babybullet and GP38-2 instruction manual. ;)

--> I put the files in the Folder "Uploads", since its the only one i have access

Last edited: May 30, 2022
  11. mike.obrebski

Thanks for adding more document content !
    I'll process them as the others when I get a chance. Upload anything you think may be useful for TSW. All documentation is welcome, but preferably what is applicable to TSW content. Those are good quality scans by the way, and you have lots of good material. Maybe if you upload more, you could separate which apply to TSW machines, for organization.

As to level of detail in locomotive modeling.. yes there is a sweet spot but of course it varies among people, There is also a difference between the best balance for the company and the best balance for the users. There are goals, so I don't want to make any claims to know what's best, since I only know my interests. I don't have enough market knowledge to say that.

I just wanted to make the point that very high fidelity models can be made, with the XPlane examples. So while I can accept that a choice is made not to go too deep in that area because that's not what people want most, it won't be because it's too difficult or technically unfeasible. I just don't like hearing technical justifications for the status quo when it comes to software. It can't be done doesn't exist in software. It's just a matter of resources. Considering they are using the Unreal engine though, I wonder how willing they are to extend beyond what's already built in. They don't have to write any core code, so can keep pumping out new routes.

Is there more flight sim enthusiasts than train simmers? I don't know. But yea, I've spent over $1000 for flight sim stuff, and I don't even use any special hardware. I can't answer how many copies of their A320 Toliss has sold. It's probably not a huge number though because there is a large number of different aircraft and not everyone is interested in airliners. So Toliss is highly focused on that area, and only make a couple related airliners. But flight sims are open to external developers and there are add-ons to appeal to all different interests.
    That's why I think platform based software business model is best in these genres. It allows for all different niches without having to develop for the average of all users. Some can spend money on highly detailed locos, while others are all about scenery.

Having said all that, after reading a little more of the Operating Manuals, the models aren't as incomplete as I thought initially. Quite far from study level, but most relevant operations are there.

BTW, I wish I could turn off the step by step instructions. Every single time in a scenario they tell you to insert handle and apply throttle, and where to go at every step. Yea it's useful initially but they gets annoying. I would prefer to turn it off.. and just be told the objective. Here's your loco, now move cars around to build a consist. I turn off the HUD as much as possible, but they only reveal the next objective, so need to drag through it.
    I have been enjoying the MP15 scenarios, besides that.

Last edited: May 31, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  12. meridian#2659

Ill add some manuals of german locos by the end of this week. (Es64u2, br146.2, br112/143, br101, br232 ludmilla (made by tsg). I got the links from people in this forum, didnt know DB has released documents for download ;)

Yes i agree the features could be a little more complex on some of the tsw vehicles. For example the class 150 has also an external start panel (like the class 101). This wasnt included by rivet.

For the swiss routes i can maybe get a ge4/4 manual (no promises on that), and flirt manuals cant be shared because legal reasons. They are usually part of a customer specific documentation. Same for vossloh & stadler valenzia locomotives.

13. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Older name for this pre German reunification was DR BR132 which are found in Museums and operational example is Koblenz Lutzel

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Quite willing actually considering Simugraph is homemade and the heart and soul of the actual simulation of trains. Most recently, they added all of the steam simulation to Simugraph and found a way to simulate radial motion blur (which Unreal can only fake).

There is no 232 in Koblenz Lützel as far as I know. In Halle probably, but not Koblenz.

• Like Like x 1
  15. mike.obrebski

Well, that's good

16. driverwoods#1787

I checked the DB Museum Halle website in the German Language and the 232 is there. For DTG where will they find documentation for the DB BR232 family DRA DCZ GDR era DR BR132 140 km/h 85 mph capable version DR BR130

17. meridian#2659

Here a quick Update of the Manuals i added (Its not only Related to TSW, but the Sim is growing and people can use it for TSC):

UK:
    - Class 31 (Components Diagram added)
    - Class 37 added
    - Steam Locomotive Manual for Enginemen / Type Drawing for 8f & Jubilee
    - Class 143 & 144 DMU
    - Class 302 - 312 EMU

- Braking Manuals:
    1) PBL - Automatic Air Brake System
    2) Automatic Air Brakes Westinghouse
    3) Automatic Vacuum Brakes
    4) Instructions - Air - DUAL - Vacuum - EQ Vacuum Brakes

Germany:
    - BR 232 / DB Manual & AD Tranz Manual (Modernised)
    - BR 112 / BR 114 / BR 143 - Drivers Manual DB
    - BR 155 - Drivers Manual DB
    - BR 101 - Drivers Manual DB
    - BR 146 - Drivers Manual DB
    - BR 182 - Drivers Manual Siemens / ÖBB Taurus 1016 & 1116 Manual
    - BR 185 - Drivers Manual DB & AdTranz (Zweistrom Lokomotive)
    - BR 640 - DB Manual
    - BR 648 - DB Manual

18. mike.obrebski

Awesome! Those are all very high quality manuals. I dunno how you have access to so many originals from the manufacturer in perfect quality, but I don't want to know. Just glad you are uploading them.
    Now, will just have to learn some German words. But if one wants to drive German trains, one needs to read the words.

BTW, I moved them to the Locomotive directory and Braking documents directory as appropriate.
    Link to the documents again:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1gaTLvG_840i-2ZvODh1o7h-cQ-7NLKQa?usp=sharing

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Lamplight

Can I just say, it’s an awesome idea to pool all of the manuals in one central repository. Thanks mike.obrebski for organising and thanks meridian#2659 for all of your contributions.

By the way, meridian#2659, I hope you don’t mind me asking but since you seem to have access to a lot of manuals I wanted to ask you if you have access to older German manuals. I’d be particularly interested in a Br 103 manual and any Einheitselok (Br 110, 139, 140, 141, 150) manual or one of the mainline diesels (Br 211/212, 216/218, 220/221). Never had any luck online.

20. meridian#2659

Nice to hear you enjoy the content. Todays manuals of modern Traction is usually multi Language, but the german locomotive handbooks from past decades is german only. Same as the british documents not got translated into german.

The reason of my "collection" ist more based on a technical background. Its less of a "manual collecting", since it was alwas a pain not having the informations i wanted about specific locomotives or details. I work on trains in real life, so having technical information is from high value. I think its a good thing to have a place for manuals of all the locomotives in tsw. By the way the uploaded DB manuals are free for download in the internet.
    The British Railway has a lot of configuration changes & Refurbishments in their Rolling stock. Some of them ran 50+ years and came out of the factory with only a vacuum braking system. For this reason i put the "Type Drawing" document to each. So we have the different configurations visible.

So about the German manuals BR103, BR110....to BR221 --> The good thing is, its all available in a giant digital library. There is basicly everything about german rolling stock past decades incl. steam engines (Operation / Technical Manuals). The hook here is, i cant just upload them into the cloud. You can buy them for a really cheap money at following homepage (2-5 Euro each). Delivery as PDF download.

https://www.lokmalanders.de/41381.html
    1.jpg

2.jpg

Who ever operates this site, spent money and time into creating this, so even if my personal opinion is "all traction information should be free to everybody ;)", i still respect the work was going into that. Whitout we would have to do endless research and check the museums for documents. Thats why i think the few euros is fair.

For now i saved the link of this thread, so i will upload my incoming manuals as far they dont break any copyright law.

21. Lamplight

That’s awesome, I never saw that! Thank you so much, I might just go on a shopping spree later :D

22. meridian#2659

For Clinchfield Fans i uploaded the F7 Operator Manual & Specifications Sheets

• Like Like x 2
  23. mike.obrebski

Yes it does look like it has lots of good content, at least from what I'm able to understand.
    So you've mostly been uploading UK and German, but I wonder if you have documentation for the American EMD SD70ACe or something in the SD70 series at least. I couldn't find anything on this yet, because variants are still in production.

24. meridian#2659

The closest one i have is the SD80MAC, if you are interested i can upload it.

For Gatwick Express Fans in TSC or a possible future TSW DlC, --> Class 73/1&2 - Southern Manual is uploaded.
    34833397983_c20f2bcfb9_o.jpg

Edit: Steam Firing Guide - Good Firemanship added (Useful when Manual Firing comes to TSW)

Future uploads:
    - Class 141 Pacer - Working Instructions & Train Crew Manual
    - Class 155 - Working Instructions & Train Crew Manual
    - Class 55 Deltic - English Electric Type 5 Locomotives

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  25. mike.obrebski

Great, Thanks for the SD80MAC. Close it better than none. I combined the US Freight locos under one folder.
    Oh I forgot to mention earlier, if you see a GE Genesis P42DC, for passenger service, primarily Amtrak, that would be great to have as well. I've gotten into one of the other sims, with the open online world, huge territory and minim graphics. Some more variety for operations.

Wow, wiring schematics for the GP38.. I think the electric circuits may not be fully modeled in TSW yet ;) Ha.

26. driverwoods#1787

The development team will be looking at those manuals for a retro West German Route. My question is this is the DB BR150 has a max tap of 30 traction force maximum 130%? If so then DB BR150 = DR BR250 DB BR155 from Ruhr-Sieg Nord. You have another locomotive capable of running the 2700 metric ton train on Nahverkehr Dresden the risk of instantly derailing after a save game.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Lamplight

What does that have to do with anything? First of all, the Br 150 doesn't have a traction force selector like the Br 155. Even if it did, the percentage doesn't tell you anything on its own without taking the power and tractive effort of the locos into account. While the equations you always use between East and West German locos can be tempting, not everything fits nicely into those categories. The Br 155 is rather more similar to a Br 151 than a Br 150. The Br 150 sort of stands on its own with the most similar engine (in terms of tractive effort, power, and use) probably being the Br 194.

• Like Like x 3
  28. meridian#2659

Lamplight explained it well, basicly the BR 250 became the BR 155 later. There were changes due the "west /east" german transition era. Also few 155 were modernised (upgraded). The Br 150 works different to the 155 with the thyristor "phasenanschnittsteuerung". Your "real" needed (available) traction force depend on more than a percentage value.
    For example the 143 & 112 have a button called "Achslastausgleich", its not modeled in tsw, but with that button you force the first wheelset down for an optimal adhesion. There are conditions you dont need that, and in some you do.

Well i would really looking forward to a loco like the br 150, or br 151 in tsw.

• Like Like x 2
  29. Lamplight

I’d love getting the Br 150. That’s a true vintage electric and probably the most tractive effort German rails have ever seen. One of the two surviving examples is even operational (although you could probably use just about any Einheitselok for sound recording except for the 141s). I certainly wouldn’t complain about the Br 151 either though :)

30. driverwoods#1787

Thank you for telling me about that and I do have a feeling if DB BR150 151 arrive they can belong to Köln Hbf Koblenz route. 150 runs Koblenz Luztel Museum trips DB BR151 two versions buffers Chains normal Freight C-Akv couplers Falnqqs Coal Wagons Faals Falrrs Iron Ore wagons. When needed to run normal Freight DB BR151s with C-Akv couplers need a barrier vehicle us 996.

31. meridian#2659

For people, who like to drive the WCML a bit more realisticly, there is the DVT Push & Pull Train Crew Manual uploaded. The Manuals describe the procedures for using DVT with a Cl.86/2, Cl87, Cl90 & Cl91. I hope those units will come to TSW at some point:

Push-Pull Trains & DVT.jpg

Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
  32. meridian#2659

About US Related Locomotives i made following updates:

- EMD MP15AC - Documentation OM
    - EMD AEM-7 - OM
    - GE Dash 9 40-CW
    - GE Dash 8 40-CW IFC

Dash 9 - 40CW.jpg

MP15AC.jpg

Dash 8 - 40CW IFC.jpg

EMD - AEM-7.jpg

33. driverwoods#1787

Very impressive and in the future AEM-7 arrives for Boston-Providence New Haven Providence. If DTG Skyhook Games have SEPTA license the AEM-7 manual also applies to 2301-2307 AEM-7 SEPTA service entry December 1987.
    The Dash 8 Manual is for Sand Patch Grade players who have Dash 8 DLC.

• Like Like x 1
  34. meridian#2659

Yes im also hoping for an arrival of the Toaster Unit in Tsw (AEM-7). This Dash 8 Manual is about the Version with IFC, i might have one for the version in TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  35. meridian#2659

1DC.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  36. meridian#2659

Many Thanks who ever uploaded the Mp15DC service handbook, i moved it in the usual tech section.

The Uk section has increased a lot, also i had the chance to get many of the original train crew manuals such as the 318, 442, class 59 etc. for high quality scans, which will be uploaded at some point.

Mike uploaded many charts which are useful for tsw players.

• Like Like x 1