1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Msb Linespeed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dave Mel, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Active Member

is there a linespeed limit for freight trains on this route. i keep looking for signs but dont see any. Maybe i should go to specsavers lol. is there a linespeed limit for passenger trains as well

2. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

There are several linespeed changes across the route. Look for these signs:
    [​IMG]

or those:

[​IMG]

The upper one means that the Speedlimit for this section is the number multiplied with 10. In that case 70kp/h.
    The lower one means that the Speedlimit is 90 kp/h and the 7 with the triangle down means that there is a Speedlimit of 70 kp/h coming.

The yellow triangle oneĀ“s can also appear the other way around, with the edge of the triangle pointing upwards. That means that a Speedchange to a higher Speedlimit is coming up.

The yellow signs pointing downwards and showing a Speed under 100kp/h need to be acknowledged if you are running with PZB.

With PZB the maxspeed for Passenger trains is:
    PZB O: 165kp/h

Freight trains and Heavy Freight Train max speed is:
    PZB M: 125kp/h
    PZB U: 105 kp/h

Of course those maxspeeds only apply for sections where the Linespeed is equal or greater than the PZB maxspeed.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  3. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Active Member

i dont understand PZB so i usually go on the red line on the hud which to me is the line speed for all trains. i just wanted to know what the max limit was fro the freight trains, like on GWR where it tells you 90/65 to me that mean 90mph for passengers dmus 65 for freight. Thanks for your info, i understand the numbers now. now i have to find a PZB vid lol

4. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

It's worth keeping in mind that each train will have its own top speed dictated by the vehicles in it. For example, a Class 166 has a top permitted speed of 90mph, so even if the limit is 100mph, you can still only go 90mph. A Class 66 has top permitted speed of 75mph, but when loaded, the HKA hopper only has a top permitted speed of 60mph (75mph when empty), so a train of loaded HKAs hauled by a Class 66 can only do 60mph, even if the speed limit 75mph for freight.

I don't know why DTG don't explain this, but it's pretty important infomation to know on the real railway.

• Upvote Upvote x 2
  5. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

The following is out of the manual of TSW:MSB, so it might be worth mentioning here aswell:

6. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Active Member

i quite agree with you digital draftsman. i think DTG should tell us when we are selecting a loco to use. all it tells us is the horsepower, traction. i think it should tell us the top speed in mph and kp/h. i dont understand kph but my hud tells me in mph. i also agree they should tell us the weight of the whole train as well. when i was a shunter many years ago i was given instructions to make trains up. i.e. how many wagons to put on, or by weight of the whole train including the locos or loco. then i would sign a sheet and give it to the driver of the train who was taking it wherever on the mainline. So when i became a freight train driver i was given a sheet of the whole train with the weight and route instructions. i.e. speed limits, speed reductions where Pway where working on the route. all sorts of information.

• Upvote Upvote x 1
  7. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member