Multiple Unit Set-up For Sand Patch Grade In Train Sim World 2

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by edimans, Apr 19, 2021.

1. edimans

edimans New Member

Multiple unit set-up for Sand Patch Grade in Train Sim World 2

2. edimans

edimans New Member

3. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that with distributed power, the driver (engineer) remotely controlled all the units in the train, whether they be front, mid, or rear. This presumption got me into trouble when I played the Fully Fuelled scenario. Visibly DTG simulate manned banking units, hence the banking radios. Wish I’d known that then because I dragged the whole kit and caboodle up the mountain at about 8 mph lol.

6. RestrictedProceed

RestrictedProceed New Member

They did, because no locomotive presently in game is DPU equipped in real life.

• Like Like x 1
  7. breblimator

breblimator Guest

This is an interesting compromise, but it could use some clear information that all DPU-like configurations are multi-MU or virtual helpers (as long as the radio works).
    Interesting. AC4400 is not DPU capable? << This is not a rhetorical question! :)

8. RestrictedProceed

DPU capability was an option for both AC44 and Dash 9. Railroads with hilly routes like BNSF or UP mostly opted to have DPU equipment on their units, but CSX is one of the RRs that did not. CSX's AC44s are currently receiving that equipment as part of their rebuild into CM44AHs. That's why most distributed units you will see on CSX these days are their AC GEVOs. Even their DC GEVOs are not DPU capable.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. edimans

edimans New Member

UPGRADE FOR ALL FROM CHILE

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  10. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Very nice compact instruction ;)

11. edimans

edimans New Member

Attached Files:

12. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Actually both the AC4400 and the C40-8W are. It's hardly new tech. And some other railroads (notably Norfolk Southern) have rigged their SD40-2s for remote DP operation as well.

13. breblimator

breblimator Guest

That's interesting. CSX has its own strange habits (eg moving away from humping). Perhaps this has evolved recently over the years. Thanks for the info!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

...some good info here, thanks for posting it. How did you become aware of all of this- which locos include DPU functionality IRL, which locos are being upgraded, etc? It’s funny... I watch plenty of (US) train videos on the ‘tube- have never seen a GP38-2 in a DPU spot in a train that I can remember... now I know why.

...link to a video of a DPU unit train I put together in Oakville Sub (Hamilton Explorer scenario) long ago, complete with buffer cars appropriately placed:

15. solicitr

CSX' network doesn't lack for hills......

It is not impossible that it was a union contract thing. DPU puts helper crews out of work.

• Like Like x 1
  16. breblimator

breblimator Guest

This is not a DPU in TSW. This is some multi-MU / virtual helper via 'radio'. Loco doesn't matter in this mode.
    Fully non-prototypical! :)

17. Stockton Rails

...not sure about that. In fact the GE ‘Locotrol’ DPU control devices tie into the cab radios in real life. The cab radio (or possible a secondary radio) have to be used to handle the transmission of the radio signals used to control the remote (unmanned) lead loco in the DPU consist in back.

I checked all of this out months ago now... I actually found pics showing the Locotrol device mounted in a rack in the nose of the loco, and found other pics that showed matching connectors used to connect the Locotrol to a cab radio. So they do tie together, and work together to control unmanned DPU units via radio. Now if the DPU units have no Locotrol device in them to allow radio control, then those would have to be manned of course.

(EDIT: added info on the use of a dedicated secondary radio with the GE Locotrol DPU devices, freeing up the primary radio in the cab from handling DPU comms)

• Like Like x 1
  18. breblimator

breblimator Guest

But here it is a 'radio-cheat'. Other settings are not DPU-like (lead/trail).

PS Or they are just not correct. In practice, it works like DPU. Full agreement. I do not judge realism!

19. solicitr

Even in a full radio-remote DP setup, each MU component is still set up lead-trail-trail, just as if there were a live crew there.

CrewedLead-trail-trail-trail-x-x-x-x-x......x-RemoteLead-trail-x-x-x-x-x......x-RemoteLead-trail

• Like Like x 2
  20. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Exactly. In my opinion - a nice game-style compromise.

21. RestrictedProceed

Various forums + watching videos. This is where I just confirmed what I was pretty sure about. Note that it's from 2017, since then CSX received 10 new DPU-equipped ST70AHs (SD70ACe-T4) and the forementioned CM44 rebuilds.
    There are quite a few radios on-board a modern locomotive and they even use (they have to use) more than one antenna. I don't know much about this technology, but this document includes nice photographs of all that stuff.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  22. solicitr

I meant, in real life it's done that way. No need to overburden the radio bandwidth with trailing locos when you can just plug them together the old-fashioned way.

23. Stockton Rails

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  24. mancunian#7861

mancunian#7861 Active Member

25. mancunian#7861

mancunian#7861 Active Member

Hehe you and me both Rabid. :D

26. ShodanCat

ShodanCat Member

I've been playing around with multiple unit control in TSW2. Is it possible to have a trailing unit have the engine idling but NOT controlled by the lead unit? Googling lead me to believe just turning the control stand switches on for engine run, fuel pump, and generator field should make it "ignore" the lead unit, but it seems to still respond, at least judging by engine audio and the amps indicated.

edit: Also, do the headlight control switches work as they should on Sandpatch or Clinchfield? I have each unit in the consist set to be controlled by units at either end but the rear headlight switch isn't doing anything. It does work on the Peninsula Corridor SD40s though.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  27. solicitr

The headlights work properly in Sand Patch. The SD40s in Clinchfield do not work correctly.

In Sand Patch, intermediate units should be set to "Single or intermediate". If you set one to a "control" setting, it "breaks the chain" and prevents commands being sent to the rear loco in the MU. (Note that these controls ONLY work for locos coupled together; DP MUs have to be set up independently)

• Like Like x 1
  28. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

29. Thorgred

Thorgred Active Member

no effect on scoring since freight services do not have time tables in TSW2

30. LastTrainToClarksville

Hmmmmm . . . then why does a score always appear after I've completed a timetable freight service?

31. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

Freight runs are scored on observing speed limits and accurate stops, but not (unlike passenger runs) keeping to a timetable.

32. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

When driving the Ace on Sherman, with 3 or 4 units at the head end and one rear helper, I did nothing more than set up the lead loco as Cut in Lead and turn on banking com and all the locos fired up just fine.

33. solicitr

That's not in fact true; AC4400s and SD70s (and ES4400s) are. However, the game doesn't model DPU

34. LastTrainToClarksville

Perhaps in some cases, but certainly not in the switching sessions available for Sand Patch, in which speed is of the essence since in many cases sessions overlap, making completing one session impossible because another session with a later start time couples to the freight cars to which you are assigned to couple, thus preventing you from completing your session. This happens with many of the "Y" series of sessions.

35. firas#2762

firas#2762 Active Member

amazing thank you so much

But if I had 3 up front 2 Front Trail one Lead how would I do that Please

thank you