My Frustration With The Game And How To Fix It

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Gaudior, Aug 4, 2021.

1. Gaudior

Gaudior New Member

I am frustrated because the game often just tells me to click on things. It doesn't say the function of the button or why to use it.

This game could do with a better tutorial that explains each function better. Not everyone (especially those coming from the Epic sale who had their interest piqued) has enough knowledge of trains to fill in the gaps.

In short, don't tell me what to do, tell me why and how.

• Like Like x 2
  2. mattchester#9176

mattchester#9176 Well-Known Member

I completely agree with you.

I've had TSW since 2018 (bought it as my eldest loves trains and letting him ride around as a passenger let's him get his train fix without leaving the house).

I've tried various times to get into the game myself but found it really hard as I've never has much of an understanding of train technology and it doesn't really signpost you when you look for extra help. The tutorials on their own just aren't enough, as you say the mostly just offer a list of commands with little or no context.

I upgraded to TSW 2 as we're planning a trip to London once Covid has calmed down and thought it would be a great way to introduce the kids to the underground as I remember being scared the first time my parents took me on it. Turns out that was just simple enough to get my head round, something clicked, and I was hooked.

With a lot of help from YouTube (especially Matt's breaking tutorial), old forum posts and then figuring someone it out on my own I'm finally able to go back and enjoy some of the preserved collection content I've had for ages. Still need to learn a lot about freight though!

Obviously a lot of the TSW audience will have a deep understanding of a lot of this but DGT need to understand that not everybody does. If they want to broaden the appeal of the game the standard gamers (something I consider myself to be as I've never really played Sim games before) then they need to do better.

It would be such a shame if a large portion of the new player grabbing a free copy from the Epic store are put off the game (and buying DLC) because can't get over the learning hurdle and aren't invested enough to look elsewhere for support.

• Like Like x 1
  3. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

It would be handy to have tutorials oriented to non train people - as a train person I find their lack of train knowledge as frustrating as you find it the other way around :).

There are loads of videos on YouTube on train driving. I've put some tutorials on my channel and am interested in making more to help people who don't know a lot about trains - is there anything in particular you'd like to see that you would find really helpful? I run live streams - would an interactive stream where you could ask questions be useful?

Paul

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  4. Richard CZE

Richard CZE Well-Known Member

I personally did not use any instructions from TSW. I studied German PZB from books and manuals. The hardest thing for me was to study the signal system of American railways. There is a great community of people. Just ask for sure someone will explain the problem to you.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. breblimator

breblimator Guest

You're right, TSW lacks good tutorials, but - learning some things takes time and commitment, as well as a little research. Patience.

• Like Like x 1