My Ts Woes And Oddities

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by LastTrainToClarksville, Feb 14, 2021.

1. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

As previously reported, several months ago I used Steam to move -- supposedly -- my TS installation from my overcrowded internal C drive to a much larger external drive. What really puzzles me is that the large number of TS files that still remain on C. For example:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RailWorks measures 37.6 GB (38.0 GB on disk), including 211,399 files in 11,607 folders.
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RailWorks\Routes measures 5.29 GB (5.48 GB on disk), including 64,430 files in 1,939 folders.
    =========================================================
    E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Railworks measures 166 GB (166 GB on disk), including 301,840 files in 16,571 folders.
    E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Railworks\Content\Routes measures 22.3 GB (22.6 GB on disk), including 106,490 files in 2,273 folders.

This leads me to wonder why so many Railworks files remain on the C drive after the move, especially so many Routes folders. When TS2013 attempts to load, which files are accessed? If only the files on E, why do so many files remain on C? If files on both C and E, does this cause the confusion that leads to an OoM crash?

Additional oddities:
    --> 28 routes are listed on C; 52 on E, of which five appear twice, each time with the same ID number and name -- how is this possible?
    --? On C, many route folders contain only one or more *.AP files.
    --> On both C and E, the Routes folder has its "Read only (Only aplies to files in folder)" attribute checked.
    --> Since DTG now refers to the sim in question as "Train Simulator", why is it still designated "RailWorks" on disk?
    =========================================================
    Well, I've put this off long enough: time to order Steam to delete the whole mess and reinstall it.

2. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

Are the routes/assets left behind - 3rd party ones from say, JT, AP, DPS, etc? These may have to moved manually. That also applies to Assets ( the larger GB figure on your C:\drive)
    In the routes folder for most DTG routes since post 2015'ish, there should be ONLY a MAINCONTENT.ap file PLUS any scenario????.ap files that you may have purchased. In the Assets folder for DTG/RSC and just a few others there will be .ap files for the particular asset.
    Is there a Railworks.exe (and Railworks64.exe) on your C:\drive - if yes then the move was not entirely successful.
    If you have moved the files correctly TS will be reading ONLY from your E:\drive. It should not cause OOM's.
    Why is it called Railworks.exe that was the original name, to change it to TS.exe might involve considerable unnecessary re-coding.
    Based on your previous posts - I would recommend you back-up third party assets and routes on both drives then delete the entire Railworks folder on both drives - defrag if necessary - then do a clean install on the E:\Drive and then add your 3rd party routes/assets manually or reinstall them from the vendor's website. Possibly consider a "new" Steam install as well.

3. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

Would moving RW folder necessarily delete the original. Sounds like it's either third party routes that would need reinstalling to the new directory or undeleted folders.

4. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

I
    Would moving RW folder necessarily delete the original.
    Moving a Folder means nothing is left behind - so in a way the original has been deleted.
    Although the Folder name is not always deleted, but it is still empty..
    To retain a copy of any folder you would need to use the copy not move function in Windows.

• Like Like x 1