New British Routes Speculation

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Oct 6, 2022.

1. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Really appreciate more ac content. There is a ton of third rail & diesel routes. Steam doesnt really make sense without manual firing. Dtg doesnt want to fix 5 locos when the update is ready.

So whatever route is comming, going with ac was a good choice.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

Maybe readng between the lines BR stuff doesn't sell as well. Us 80s enthusiasts are high in number on the model scene and at Galas and railtours in the real world. A few are still sitting in TSC still also.

• Like Like x 2
  3. meridian#2659

I really hope this is not the case. But in fact dtg can also give to a 83 time periode an immersion booster. Making stations like manchester victoria alive with a.i traffic or more loco + wagon dlcs.
    Going with a lot of variety in a direction of weardale teesdale network like in tsc. Combining collierie shunting, freight and passenger traffic with a huge map and a lot to do.

I dont think its the era, its just because the br blue stuff were early dlcs, where stations were mostly emtpy etc.

There are so much unused areas and industrie in tvl. Class 60, 56 and many others were active on the tees yard to that time.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  4. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I’m bouncing around between both at the moment (games and the forums here) and I do get the impression there are more than a few TSC players who regard TSW with utter disdain and can’t even bring themselves to play it. However it’s true that, aside from the limited number of scenarios that ship with a product, TSC cannot be beaten for sheer variety when it comes to UK routes and traction. After 5 years of TSW we still haven’t got a single UK route in deep hills or mountains, specifically thinking north of Perth or Craigendoran.

It will of course be interesting to see what future DTG hold for TSC. As I noted in a thread over there, replicating the NTP route in TSC albeit different (more like confused) era seems to be something of a litmus test. At the same time, why are they not doing a 142 and 158 pack for the TSW version, bearing in mind the 142 could also sub on to TVL?

• Like Like x 3
  5. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

One of the big issues is we are all locked out of the timetable editor. DTG do go back to stuff but they have to pay staff to do it so if DLC can't be sold then it's a possible loss maker. We had a lot of BR stuff in early TSW days but it ground to a halt and we are now firmly in modern day releases only era which to be honest is what a lot of forum chatter is for. I guess there is a huge market for one handled traction which can be seen right now and even with a job application be worked with daily.....

• Like Like x 1
  6. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

If it does turn out to be ECML KGX-PBL it would be good to see the Hertford Loop and Moorgate branch, particularly if one of the included locomotives is the Thameslink 700 as the Great Northern 717 is seemingly very similar with the exception of the cab-end doors and fewer carriages (happy to be corrected...)

• Like Like x 4
  7. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Now, what if the DTG route and the Rivet route are two sections of the same real life route that connect. Players can buy one or the other or both in a bundle that gives you the combined route. Each will come with one loco each (pretty standard for route DLC) which will layer onto each other’s sections along with any already available trains that go with them both. Rivet and DTG have a strong relationship and this would be a good way of giving players a much longer section of a particular famous UK mainline route. They were both announced on the same day and have the same code, so I don’t think this possibility is out of the question. Ooh, watch those pigeons scatter as I plonk a cat right amongst them. Am I on to something?

• Like Like x 6
  8. mattwild55

I'm still banging the drum for route merging but I'd be very surprised if it was coming soon given the amount of other stuff that's being worked on as core improvements, sadly. Fingers crossed though!

• Like Like x 2
  9. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I get that impression as well, hope I am wrong.

I wouldn't say stations were empty during the 80's at all, I tended to see more busier ones that not. I once took a train to Glasgow from Didcot via Oxford and I didn't get a seat all the way up there and all the way back!

Seeing this message made me think straight away that the GWE would be ideal for this. Paddington - Reading then Didcot - Bristol, this would be awesome but doubt it would happen.

I find it strange DTG do not ask the player base of each region what trains they would like or routes or both. Perhaps they do but have my doubts especially with that SOS route. I also have heard there is a lot of people on TSC that would never use TSW, more could be done to address this.

When I was a kid in the 70's - 80's I remember seeing train spotters as a regular occurrence but not so much nowadays (there are some) so taking note of that doing 60's - 80's Diesel Loco's might be a way of attracting new players or even players from TSC. 60's diesel is before my time really (Baby) but would love a route set in that era.

• Like Like x 2
  10. GEML with the Intercity, drooling....... London to Norwich

11. TSW Nathan

TSW Nathan Well-Known Member

I'd love them to include the Class 380 as well. I think your right but I think that's what rivet is doing. I think DTG are doing the WCML. Not sure which section though.

12. TSW Nathan

ITS NOT MODERN!!!
    THAT TRAIN IS RETIRED!!!
    (sorry for shouting but I get very annoyed when people say that CCL is modern)

• Like Like x 1
  13. TSW Nathan

That was my screenshot btw. Unless I'm mistaken and you went onto rivet and got it your self. If so, I'm sorry for presuming

14. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

They do surveys. WCML and ECML are near the top all the time. WCML has a modern(ish) and a steam route. ECML has nothing, I do wonder whether 90% of the player base lives trackside on WCML, all you keep seeing. This Bristol extension better have some pretty bloody special gameplay the amount it’s harped on about collectively.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I'm hoping a pack like that is in the works for TSW, though I have to wonder about releasing DLC for non-TSW3 routes going forward.

It's going to be jarring going back and forth between the two lighting engines and personally i have no interest in going back to the TSW2 routes in their current state. Will they upgrade routes receiving loco DLC to TSW3 standards? I'd say they've left enough ambiguity that it's at least a possibility.

The US loco DLC is almost certainly for Boston, so we'll see soon enough i guess.

• Like Like x 1
  16. dhekelian

It would be nice to get away from London and see other parts of the UK.

• Like Like x 3
  17. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

North Clyde Line Helensburgh to Edinburgh Waverly via Patrick
    2nd route WCML over Shap with Class 370 APT that way you can cruise at 155 mph 250 kmh on some parts like TSC

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

It's no more jarring than jumping back and forward between a old and a new movie or video game, and people do that all the time.

19. OldVern

I quite like how the TSW2 routes come across in TSW3 much of the darkness which plagued them in 2 is no more. They look better than the new 3 routes even with the adaptive eye mod installed.

• Like Like x 3
  20. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

York - Newcastle ECML would be welcome

• Like Like x 2
  21. phil.elliott

phil.elliott Well-Known Member

I know this will be an unpopular opinion, but... I actually really like the Electrostar. It's possible as a newer player I haven't had time to get bored with it yet, though!

• Like Like x 2
  22. OldVern

You will... Compared to older Gen 1 or even Gen 2 EMUS they are just devoid of soul and character.

• Like Like x 3
  23. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

There are people that seem to hate them, to be fair they aren’t the most engaging trains to drive, they do lack an aspect of stimulation.

They are a very widely used fleet in the south though, so it’s fair enough that they pop up a lot, but it’s also where the issue is.

DTG need to stop releasing Southern Region routes in era’s where Electrostars dominate the lines, one after another.

It’s even more of an issue that the quality on them in game isn’t consistent, considering how often they’re cut and pasted.

• Like Like x 3
  24. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

I'm really tired of all the hatred these trains get. Are they in too many routes? Yes of course, but the same can be said of the Class 101s, or as I call them the drab blue ****boxes.
    I love the Electrostars, I've spent nearly 30 hours driving them and I don't see myself stopping any time soon. I'd be more than happy to see them in another route like ECML, obviously not as the main loco but as an extra I'd welcome them.

• Like Like x 4
  25. mattwild55

Electrostars are as good or bad as any other EMU to drive for me, although perhaps it would be nice to have a full-width windscreen. Can't help but think that with some more varied rolling stock on the Electrostar-based routes they might be a bit less maligned - it's a bit more varied if you can easily jump out and into something else for a bit.

(Also it would be nice if the 375 audio could be looked at again - unfortunately it's still WAY too quiet even after the recent update)

• Like Like x 1
  26. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

The difference being that it takes more than one pushbutton to drive a diesel unit with a mechanical gearbox. ( and funky brakes ).

• Like Like x 4
  27. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

You do realize people complained a lot when the 101 was reused in the GWR pack right? Seems a bit disingenuous to act like nobody has issues with them being reused. Hell, with the rail treatment train coming out I'd also note I've seen some complains of the Class 66 being reused too much as well, albeit that seemed to have been overshadowed by the F7 in particular.

Saying other stock is reused isn't a counterargument, it's whataboutism.

• Like Like x 1
  28. jamster47

jamster47 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't mind a class 357 Electrostar.
    Yes still a electrostar but a bit different with the front end having big windows due to no interconnecting door. They can run quite loud now after 20 years service.
    Plus is a AC unit. Plus would mean the LTS/c2c is coming.
    I can dream

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  29. dhekelian

Nurse! Nurse! only jesting.

Everyone has their favourites, I really like the 'bubble car' some didn't. I also like the 101 and many don't but then sometimes the hatred came not because of the train it was because DTG was over using them. Wouldn't it be great if we could just buy one train and then it would appear on other routes where it was used and not have to buy it again?

I don't think there would be as many complaints if there was something like that but when you buy a new route and it has a train that you already have it feels a bit off.

• Like Like x 5
  30. Conductor B

Conductor B Well-Known Member

The only thing I don't like about the Electrostars is that tiny window and the limited view. If they had a full, wrap-around windshield, the way the 465 has, for example, I'd have nothing bad to say about them.

The tiny window is actually the reason I don't get the NY state based commuter routes. Feels like I'm driving a subway.

• Like Like x 6
  31. OldVern

Electrostars have their place (the scrapyard? :love: ) and much of the dislike probably comes from experience travelling on the rock hard ironing board seats. I think the issue is that routes like BML literally have no variety, if you want to do a passenger run it’s a 377 or 387. Had the route been set back a few years there was a much larger variety of EMUs, CIGs, VEPs, EPBs etc., Class 73 push pull on Gatwick Express, Thumpers and the occasional Class 33 hauled peak service to and from the Oxted lines. Of course, being pedantic, the VEPs etc. also had a narrow view out the front but a somewhat less cluttered cab environment and of course a much nicer traction sound. In fact I suspect if DTG had an option to pump up the motor volume on the Electrostars in game, we wouldn’t be bashing them half as much as we do.

• Like Like x 5
  32. meridian#2659

I dont see a problem with re using stock. Its part of the big variety and interesting a.i services.

But i do have a problem with f7 units pulling freight trains in a modern route along es44s in a modern era.
    Same with classic 70s stock looks weird in a modern gwe setting.

I like the new loco bundle per se, but a classic f7 in a modern route is just totally immersion braking the way they implemented it.

Not sure who came up with this idea of mixing timeperiods, but seems to be a new employee of dtg, and probably the same who made the tsw3 forza horizon style trailer. ;). Just pure embarressment for me to watch...

• Like Like x 3
  33. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I guess they're OK (not more than that) but the main problem is new routes popping up yet another version of the same train, while we'd be really looking forward to something new.

It's the same with the German Dostos. While I can appreciate driving them, I do wish the next route brings us a new train.

I don't mind Electrostars or Dostos layering in, though.

• Like Like x 2
  34. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I have a good feeling this upcoming route by DTG won’t feature an Electrostar, which makes a nice change.

Still, no idea what it’ll be. Part of the ECML or WCML perhaps?

35. WonterRail

WonterRail Well-Known Member

To throw another curball here, today's update added two new DLC depots for what could be two upcoming routes. These are:
    Those sizes are important, as it gives a clue as to how big (or small) a route may be. For comparison sake, the former depot is the same size as the ones for Rhein-Ruhr Osten, Long Island Rail Road and Hauptstrecke München - Augsburg, while the later is around the same size as the likes of LGV Méditerranée and East Coastway.

The reason I'm bringing them up here is because it's likely that one of these is the UK route from DTG. The other is either the German Route, or Rivet's UK route, depending on where the later will come in relation to the stuff DTG is making right now. Those sizes could always change before release, but it's just something else to think about for now.

Steamdb: https://steamdb.info/app/1944790/history/?changeid=16341649

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  36. Flying Beaver

Flying Beaver New Member

I have a feeling it might be a 2022 update to the Great Western Mainline, which is of course now 25kv overhead which fits the route code.

I could imagine DTG extending the line to Didcot and Oxford, as well as adding the Heathrow Branch and possibly the Thames Valley Branches too.

Locomotives could include the 80x classes, Class 387 (yay.... electrostar), Class 166/5 for the branches and the Oxford section, and the Class 345 for the Elizabeth Line services to Reading and Heathrow. And of course the omnipresent Class 66 would still feature.

• Like Like x 2
  37. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

Does that mean they've updated the steam achievements too? Or is that something different

38. WonterRail

WonterRail Well-Known Member

No new achievements right now. I suspect they will added later on, as it's the thing that really gives away what a certain route/DLC is.

39. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

While I'd love an updated GWE in the future, now is absolutely not the right time so soon after SEHS. I can imagine the riots on the forums already.

• Like Like x 1
  40. dhekelian

If they did this I would buy TSW3 like a shot but haven't DTG said in the past they wouldn't do this? I have my doubts but also cannot see why DTG could put forth a little more info. Surely if a game is doing a new DLC and you have a targeted audience surely putting out better info will see if you are onto a winner or not eh?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
  41. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

I never get these right and it always turns out to be somewhere Id never thought of lol, but DLC size, AC, modern? Could it be Liverpool-Manchester?

42. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

43. Bravo2six

Bravo2six Well-Known Member

I discounted this route as I believe one of the reasons they did WCL in the 90s was because GWR were being unhelpful with licencing.

Also as someone else said, it wouldn't be a good move to, in quick succession, release two reworked/ extended UK routes for a 'brand new' game.

Doesn't send a good message.

• Like Like x 1
  44. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I would count an extended GWML to Oxford whilst at the same time having proper electrification to Didcot with requisite rolling stock as a new route. The original GWML is such an odd route, set in a very restricted time frame. The choice of stock is not represented correctly as there were only a few GWR liveried HST's and class 166's were not the only DMU on the local services and again not all in GWR livery. It is too short really.

I would welcome a completely revamped version even if it was a modern version.

• Like Like x 6
  45. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

Would be nice if they threw out some teasers for us, but I guess they know that we're pretty quick at figuring it out.

• Like Like x 7
  46. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Probably too early yet. I would imagine any announcement/teaser would be made closer to release which could be around christmas/new year.

• Like Like x 2
  47. dhekelian

Couldn.t agree more.

48. Wieczorek

Wieczorek Active Member

I guess new DTG UK route is Birmingham Cross City Line with BR Class 323.Depot on steamdb App 1998976 is 4.18 GB big.HMA Depot is 4.19GB big -64km.Cross City Line is 37 miles(60km) long and Cross City Line is AC.

• Like Like x 2
  49. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I would be quite happy if this was the case as long as the class 323 sounds are implemented properly unlike the as yet unfixed TSC version. It is an interesting route and quite a challenge to drive with the many station stops.

• Like Like x 3
  50. mattwild55

A thought - it's the Flying Scotsman's centenary next year and as such it would make sense for DTG to cash in, not just with the announced TSC pack but TSW as presumably there's quite a bit more money to be made from the latter - and it would make the most sense to put it on the ECML with King's Cross (if it were set in the modern day as a railtour).

Of course this may not be the upcoming release but perhaps the one after - but it does appear to be an open goal from a commercial point of view to this untrained eye.

• Like Like x 3