PC New Head Sway Feature Coming!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by nne4229, Dec 7, 2019.

1. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

While I do appreciate this new TSW feature, I can't quite understand all of the hoopla. After all, my head is not swaying, the cab I'm riding in is not swaying, only the image on my monitor is; and while that was entertaining the first few times I saw it, the novelty faded fast. I remember hearing someone in one of those electronics stores bragging to a clerk once about the fancy chair he'd bought to go with his combat games: it shook, rattled, and rolled his entire body in sync with the screen action. Whoopee!?

Before the X-folks descend, I'm not against cab-sway, I'm not excited about it either. ... Perhaps if it took effect as I'm walking or running?

2. hightower

hightower Guest

It’s not a swaying image.

The players head is now effectively on a bobble stick and g-forces act on it in all directions. Many factors influence that, such as train suspension, track state, curvature etc etc.

According the MP it’s more complex than I think you give it credit for.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

The actual camera movement is pretty straight forward. As far as I know the variables that dictate its movement already existed in the game, it was just a case of putting them in formula which outputs a velocity for the camera to move at. I'm disappointed that no sinusoidal movement was taken into account as that's a constant set of forces acting on the train whilst in motion, yet it's completely absent in the head sway, as well as the train movement in general.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  4. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

What do you mean?

5. Digital Draftsman

You know when you're riding a train and you get that gentle side to side rocking motion? That's because the train doesn't travel in a straight line along the track; Because the wheels are slightly cone shaped, when the train drifts to one side the parts of each wheel in contact with the rail are a different diameter, so the wheelset steers towards the small diameter, until the situation is reversed and the wheelset steers back the other way. So the train sways along the track, creating a sinusoidal wave when looked at from above. When travelling in TSW there is no constant side to side rocking motion, despite it always being present in reality, even on straight track at a consistent speed.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Ok. I understand what you mean. I do notice some side to side motion. I used the 3 camera above two cars and there was side to side motion.

7. Digital Draftsman

It's a generic roughness, similar to TS2020, it's not side to side motion following a sinusoidal wave like it should be. The result is a jerky rough motion, especially at high speeds, which to my eye doesn't look right, it should be a rocking motion, not jerky unless going over pointwork/switches.