New To This, Have A Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bindolaf, Mar 18, 2023.

1. bindolaf

bindolaf New Member

Hello everyone.

Steam
    has things on sale and... it's very confusing. So, I have Train Simulator Classic and a bunch of locomotives and routes. The DLC on Steam seems to be very varied in terms of quality and price. Some look to be from 2007, others from last year. Are all those routes compatible with Train Simulator Classic?

Then, I have Train Sim World 2 on Epic (it was free a while ago). Do the Train Simulator Classic routes/trains work with Train Sim World 2? I realize I'd have to buy it on Steam, but that's fine. If they work, do they get upgraded features, or even graphics? And then there is a Train Sim World 3 out now. Is everything backwards compatible?

Very confusing. Thank you in advance for your responses.

P.S.: Is there a way to remap key bindings in Train Simulator Classic? Q, Enter etc. are driving me nuts.
    Thanks.

2. WhippleStripper

WhippleStripper Well-Known Member

Every item of Train Simulator Classic (TSC) downloadable content (DLC) sold on Steam will work with TSC. The DLC vary in quality and value for money; many are good, some are outstanding.

Any DLC made for TSC will not work with Train Sim World in any form. They are two completely different games, although they both feature trains and are both made by DTG.

3. trevkiwi

trevkiwi Active Member

Every TSC or TSW DLC has a release date on it so you can tell how old it is. Release date is on the right in the TSC1.jpg screenshot. Usually the older it is the graphics are not so good. Yes, TSC and TSW are 2 different train simulators so the DLC isn't compatible with each other.

4. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

In addition to what Trev said... (I realise it's a bit random, but posting anyway)
    • The release date is the Steam release / update date. Several Just Trains routes have been added during a lull of content creation - I guess creators were expecting TSW to take over, or simply the pandemic effect, or other factors. Those JT routes are much older. JT routes do have acceptable scenery density, and higher asset fidelity, though.
      The point of these releases was to target people who just don't go to 3rd parties directly, so that they can enjoy the route plus some scenarios using default rolling stock. And workshop.
    • DTG / RSC updated the release date for several items for various reasons. Some routes have received substantial upgrades.
    • Check the reviews. A low number of reviews suggests that something is off. In Trev's case, being a re-release.
    • Newer isn't always better. Prettier isn't always better. If visual details are your thing, you should probably skip everything before 2013.
      But. As for routes, a lot of them have the feels. Maybe disturbing back to back, but I did enjoy a lot of older routes genuinely.
      As for trains, you won't find anything super complex or detailed on Steam (maybe the new Big Boy)
      In a way, it's a bit about looking for the beauty (ups) or the mistakes (downs).
      Also, frames per second can be affected.
    • If you have questions about a specific route, ask for screenshots in the screenshot thread (creation center). Or some opinion.
    • If you are absolutely graphics driven, either just stay with TSW or specifically ask for the absolute juiciest routes and rolling stock. Quite possibly you'll want to spend on 3rd party things. Combined with the above question, head over to the Creation Center, browse the threads and fish for stuff you like.
    Ultimately, it's more about the what, I'd say. Some offerings are unique in ways and if you look past their weak sides, can be truly enjoyed.
    Some store pictures don't do justice to a route.

5. bindolaf

bindolaf New Member

Thank you

6. PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā

PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā Well-Known Member

If you're investing in UK content I would highly recommend everything from Armstrong Powerhouse. However as you are a new player, you've missed out on a majority of APs sound packs - these drastically improve the sounds of existing content, and in some cases added a few extra features, like a mini enhancement pack. (class 303, 92 and 442)

Train sim world however is a totally different game and content is not compatible between the two. Some TSW content has been released for train sim classic (long island rail road and Huddersfield line). While TSW may look more realistic it's more of an arcade type game, train sim classic is more of an actual simulator

7. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Lord knows that's the truth but old doesn't necessarily equate to bad especially since those old route are usually cheap- often very cheap in sales. By the same token new doesn't necessarily equate to good by the way- Norddeutsche-Bahn: Kiel - Lübeck is a good looking route from a couple of years ago but a frustrating PITA to actually use.

Broadly speaking yes- if a route is for TS it will work with TS. A new route won't necessarily work with an old version of the core program because it may have new features that would not be supported but if you bought TS through Steam the core will be kept up to date whether or not you buy a new edition. The only problem I've had with compatibility was one of the scenarios for Sherman Hill which doesn't work with the 64 bit version of TS. No doubt there are other problems but not enough to cause an uproar and of course the 32 bit version is still part of the package so if you do encounter some compatibility issue with older DLC it would be worth trying it on that.

No.

Routes made for older version of TSW should work with TSW3, routes made for TSW3 won't work with earlier versions.

Sadly no.

8. kilt46

kilt46 Active Member

A lot depends on what you enjoy from a simulator. I spent many years playing with flight sims and developing airports. I came to trains as I really enjoy the geographical nature of how all of these DLCs kind of fit together. For me it is all about the journey not just going from A to B.

I bought all of the UK DLC I could find since I am originally from the UK. A great resource to see what is available is this map:
    http://umap.openstreetmap.fr/en/map/train-simulator-classic_252726#12/54.5990/-1.6837
    I have also been compiling my own web site to show off all of the routes available in the UK and to delve deeper into the different Class trains used in the UK Network.
    https://sites.google.com/view/trainsimulatorcontent/home

The sheer number of DLCs can be overwhelming. I have approx 2400 different Scenarios which I have downloaded from the UK without even leveraging any of the Workshop content. This hobby will easily keep me going for the next 10 years.

You can get a lot of support from the members on this site.

Respectfully

9. trevkiwi

trevkiwi Active Member

10. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

What nonsense is this? There are massive amounts of complex, detailed DLC on Steam!
    I would strongly advise the opposite and advise any new players not to get sucked into supporting one of the most anti-consumer developers in the simulation business.
    And this is the sort of claim that gets thrown around without any explanation and can usually be safely ignored. As with TSC, TSW's realism depends on the DLC, but most of its sins in the realism area are also ones TSC has. (Its sins in non-realism areas are a different matter).

11. WhippleStripper

WhippleStripper Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go as far as that in damming AP, but I have found that their products give me varying levels of pleasure and in a few cases that isn't much. A lot depends on your play style.

My advice is to buy a few well reviewed DLCs for TSC, use them a bit and see what it is about the simulator you like. There are lots of different ways of enjoying it.

12. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

No, TSW works like an arcade game.
    The Signalling does not work properly - there is no approach signalling and speed info.
    The driver has to do stuff he would not do in real life - such has closing the doors on the Class 101 DMU - there is a Guard.
    Having coupled to a train there is no Brake Test but the sim has the driver walking to the rear of the train and back
    When a train is late it still sits in the platform for the allotted time even though it could depart.

And it is an arcade game because of the the pop-ups telling you to do this and that rather than just doing it as with TSC.

• Like Like x 1
  13. eldomtom2

Again, this depends on the DLC. And instructional pop-ups make something an arcade game? God knows what you'd make of an actual train driving arcade game like Densha de Go...

14. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

So why do we need pop-ups?
    I don't remember them when driving real trains

In TSC you might get a notification when setting the cab up but after that nothing
    You as the driver are left to your own ability to get the train on time at it's destination
    TSC works like a real train does in the operation and the signalling - unlike TSW

• Like Like x 3
  15. eldomtom2

I don't remember train drivers having a HUD that tells them of upcoming speed limits, gradients, and signals either...
    Again, that depends on the DLC - there is some very inaccurate stuff for TSC and some very accurate stuff for TSW.

16. kilt46

kilt46 Active Member

To use TSC as a simulator simply press F4 and the HUD goes away!
    To use TSC to learn the ropes use the HUD :)

17. cscarpenter

cscarpenter Well-Known Member

What HUD???
    Learn a route in TSC and then drive it as you would in real life.:cool:
    That is the whole idea of a Simulator.
    20230320204513_1.jpg

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
    • Like Like x 4
  18. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

What is accurate in TSW that is inaccurate in TSC?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
  19. eldomtom2

Quite a lot, especially when you exclude third-party DLC, considering that the worst official TSC DLC is far more inaccurate than the worst official TSW DLC.

20. cscarpenter

cscarpenter Well-Known Member

So it's a case of "My game is better than your game because it is."???? Really :o

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
  21. kilt46

kilt46 Active Member

22. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Have a look at Post #13 in the thread you have quoted

It is very simple to change the input mappers of any of the locos/units
    I have done it on a few French Locos where they use the AZERTY keyboard so things are different.

23. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

This. I've learned a few already and I promise you, the sim becomes far more rewarding when you drive without all that nonsense on the screen. I just wish I had the time to learn the longer routes though.

24. PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā

PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā Well-Known Member

Only reason why the HUD helps for me is because I'm vision impaired - so really helps me know when to slow down - however I only use the mini HUD (F3)