No New Game Going Forward?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by deanmacgregor, Oct 18, 2020.

1. deanmacgregor

deanmacgregor Active Member

Surely it would be best to stay with train sim world 2 now but just call it TSW to keep everything you buy now and in the future in one game but apply updates to improve things, as you do with train simulator 2021 on PC.

2. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

Train Sim World 2 2022?
    Or just
    Train Sim World 2022?

3. deanmacgregor

Maybe every year it changes to Train Sim World 2022...2023..24 etc or maybe just stays as TSW but receives updates. And maybe map and train bundles that save the player money instead of bringing out a completely different game

4. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

So long as they don't spend months porting over "preserved collection" which pushes everything back I don't mind what they do

• Like Like x 3
  5. Krober

Krober Member

The issue was, that TSW 2020 wasn't made for high speed trains like the ICE3M. TSW2 got a lot of improvements.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I think adding the year like they started out with would be better, but ultimately it doesn’t really matter. I just hope if a new game engine comes out, they don’t have to spend endless amounts of times porting everything over or worse still, leaving older content behind.

• Like Like x 1
  7. deanmacgregor

I think the main thing I'm getting at is no more new games please dovetail with TSW, just updates and year changes to TSW 2, or will we have TSW 3 and have to have preserved collection carried over from the last 2 games?

• Like Like x 4
  8. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

I'm guessing it'll depend on the amount of work involved, will it be free annual updates where nothing much changes, or more major paid updates every couple of years. The Free annual update model is unusual so I would not be surprised if DTG move to less frequent but more major paid updates like the rest of the industry. As long as it doesn't end up like the Sports franchises (ie FIFA 21 on Switch is FIFA 19 with a roster update for £50)

• Like Like x 1
  9. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure there is going to be a TSW3 which will feature Steam, after that I don't really know.

Will TSW3 be a free upgrade? I don't think so given that they know how badly people want steam.

What leads me to believe this:

"Train Sim World 2 is the large update we needed before we can get steam engines right. We won’t release any until we can be sure we’re going to do them the justice they and you deserve. Steam locos will need another engine upgrade [like TSW1 to TSW2] to make sure that particle effects do justice to performance and visuals, as well as a bespoke SimuGraph® upgrade to handle the unique experience of steam locos. Sound recreation is very important, as is detailed training and in-cab support during gameplay. It’s a very large jump from passenger and freight, which we have concentrated on perfecting so far, and high speed – a key focus for this year. After this we’ll continue our work towards steam."

https://live.dovetailgames.com/live/train-sim-world/about-trainsimworld#faq-17

What will happen to TSW1 content? I am pretty sure it will either get replaced (it's always good when a company finds a way to sell you the same thing twice), for example with Hamburg Lubeck we are getting basically a TSW2 BR143 (in the form of the very similar BR112) and DoSto ready to become Preserved Collection on TSW3, same thing for the BR182, or is going to be brought up to almost TSW2 standards by the 3 poor people now working on P.Coll.

Actually I am not so sure about what I wrote anymore reading some more of that FAQ we might get away with TSW2 only (although I doubt it), if they manage to up the graphics without messing with the sounds and the physics (which seems the two differences between TSW1 and 2 judging by what is broken on P.Coll) we might not need to go thought the proces of "Preserving" old content. But I'd say the safer option is to think that there will be a TSW3 focused around steam traction and is going to be exactly like TSW1 and TSW2.

I mean, adhesion is just for us to look at the mighty steam engine wheel slip at departure isn't it?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I'm expecting a TSW3, because of the aforementioned quote about steam locos.

My main worry is, which DLC will end up like NEC did, and will not be preserved...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

TS isn't a good example to use imo, as its somewhat retro aesthetic is down to the core tech being very old, and DTG are now stuck because the only way to make a substantial upgrade pay is to release an entirely new version and charge for it, but doing so will make most DLC incompatible, which will annoy everyone. So TS is what it is, and will probably remain what it is indefinitely.

I can see TSW falling into that trap given the fuss over the preserved collection. IMO it would be better for there to be a new version of TSW one day, that can take advantage of the tech available at that point, not be hindered by trying to support 6/7 year old DLC, or previous generation consoles.

12. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

Hopefully DTG have made the most of this exercise, and brought everything up to the same level so that there won't be a repeat of NEC...

13. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

The problem is that rebuilding the whole train collection will be huge. For such a huge leap to make sense we would need a jump in quality like we had from TS to TSW, and in my opinion will not happen in the mid-term future. TSW has so much untapped potential into it that just thinking about it really makes you feel bad to what we have right now.

First thing has to be optimization, if (as they hinted in their HMA stream) they can make the track generation much lighter than we would could use that processing power to make everything else a tiny bit better, and I think that's the way forward.

If we'll get steam the particle effect will need a huge effort to make "lighter", right now if you fly with the cam inside the smoke generated by diesel engines the FPS drop massively and is not acceptable in a game where there are steam engines.

Things like that should be (and from what I understand actually are) the things DTG should focus since the tech to make this game look and sound x1000 better is there but we can't "access" it because of hardware limitations.

Also I am not too keen on buying the same loco because the new version is going to be a tiny bit better and many people agree I think, although we are already seeing it happen in front of our eyes.

BR112 + DoSto and BR182 in Hamburg Lubeck is exactly what I don't want to see. Bring the old MSB DoStos up to date and give us new coaches, same for the BR182, why don't remaster the old one and bring in a new loco, for example a Vectron or something... but no, and are those practices we, as a community should fight against in my opinion.

The only reedming factor for the Ham-Lub DoStos will be if we get the 2nd or 3rd gen which will at least give us another entirely new cab car, but to have an answer to these questions we will have to wait until closer to release when all the work is already done and we can't try and sway DTG towards making something else

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  14. ZeenozPlays

I doubt there will be a big issue with the Preserved Collection with TSW 3 (if there is one) because there currently isn’t any disc version. Also, with them currently making the P.Collection, they are updating the older routes with the newer tools they use. If there is a TSW 3, I suspect all routes (maybe not RT & GWR) to be available with P.Collection on day one, or shortly afterwards.

15. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

16. ZeenozPlays

17. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

There is most certainly going to be a new version of the game, let alone for the fact that Unreal Engine will have newer versions, that we all would appreciate if DTG updates to - something most likely not happening for TS for example. And with new features such as steam coming (or maybe not, its not on the road map ;) ) there might be further requirements for updating the base structure of the game (and thereby introducing a new version).

• Like Like x 1