North Wales Coast Line: Holyhead - Llandudno

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Deiniol14, Nov 8, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Deiniol14

Deiniol14 Member

So I'd like to suggest a route which runs through Wales, so I thought what better than to do my local line, the North Wales Coast Express. Considering there's only one Welsh route available currently on TS 20XX, I thought that Wales could do with a Train Sim World 2 route.

History
    The history of the North Wales Coast Line (NWCL) is very complex, and after many attempts at making a summary, I cannot quite get it right. The history can be found on the following Wikipedia article here.
    Freight traffic on the line has decreased over the many decades, with the final regular freight movement, the flasks from the now-decommissioned Wylfa Power Plant, ceasing in 2019.

Important information
    Top line speed: 90mph

Track length: Roughly 40 miles

Rolling stock
    I've decided to list rolling stock by decade, from the end of steam up until current day
    Note: Many 1st generation DMUs used have not been listed for earlier years, but were used often

1960's - BR Green
    • BR Class 08 - Shunting
    • BR Class 24 -
    • BR Class 40 - Freight (at least)
    • BR Class 47 -
    1970's - BR Blue
    • BR Class 24 - Freight
    • BR Class 25 - Freight
    • BR Class 40 - Passenger and Freight
    • BR Class 101 - Passenger
    1980's - BR Blue
    • BR Class 25 - Freight
    • BR Class 40 - Passenger
    • BR Class 47 - Passenger
    • BR Class 142 - Passenger
    1990's
    • BR Class 08 - Shunting
    • BR Class 20 - Freight (Flasks)
    • BR Class 31 - Freight
    • BR Class 37 - Passenger
    • BR Class 43 (HST) - Passenger
    • BR Class 47 - Passenger
    • BR Class 142 - Passenger
    • BR Class 150 - Passenger
    • BR Class 156 - Passenger
    • BR Class 158 - Passenger
    2000's/Current Day
    • BR Class 37* - Passenger (early 2000's)
    • BR Class 43* (HST) - Passenger (-2004)
    • BR Class 67* - Passenger - 2tpd (trains per day) or 4tpd
    • BR Class 68* - Flasks (-2019)
    • BR Class 150 - Passenger - Uncommon
    • BR Class 153* - Passenger - Very rare
    • BR Class 158 - Passenger - Holyhead to Birmingham International
    • BR Class 175 - Passenger - Holyhead to Cardiff Central
    • BR Class 221 - Passenger - Holyhead to London Euston
    • BR Class 230* - Passenger
    Rolling stock with an asterisk (*) are not recommended to be developed - Do not appear often enough. This rule is applicable only under the subheading "2000's/Current Day"
    All classes listed above have photographical proof of them running on the North Wales Coast Line in the time periods above, with the exception of 1960's, which were listed using Railcar's Llandudno Junction Fitters' Logs

A few handy sites for research would include Railcar (60's) and 2D53 (70's/80's)

I'm aware that TSW 2 is focusing on high-speed lines, but maybe this could be a route on the back burner or picked up by a developer other than DTG

I really have spent more time than I needed to spend on this
    I also speak Welsh (the North version) so if translations are needed, I could help, e.g. platform announcements

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’d love this in any era but preferably 1980s or 1990s. I’d also include the branch to Llandudno if there are suitable services.

3. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

I would definitely buy this route if it was made. It would bring another aspect of the railways in Britain to TSW as the first British route outside of England. The full route route from Chester to Holyhead, including the Llandudno branchline, would be great, and not completely unrealistic at around 85 miles, but if that's not possible the route from Llandudno Junction would still be good. I'd be happy with any era post sprinterisation as I'd love to be able to drive a sprinter in TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Deiniol14

Deiniol14 Member

I believe there was a service between Holyhead and Llandudno operated until at least 1999 so yeah I think having Llandudno would work.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Deiniol14

Deiniol14 Member

Unfortunately, it being just under double the Schnellfahrstrecke Köln-Aachen length, I think Chester to Holyhead wouldn't be possible. Although, if the Holyhead to Llandudno (Junction) route was made, I think that Llandudno (Junction) to Chester could be done, at about 49 miles long, as an extension if DTG make extensions a possibility within TSW 2.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jack.a.varley04

jack.a.varley04 Well-Known Member

For the modern day isn't the 156 widely used

7. Deiniol14

Deiniol14 Member

The 156 wasn't used in Wales at any point from privatisation onwards unfortunately.